Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] A pleasing point

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Disappointed with our start and first half generally.
Was hoping once we got the goal and were at home we could have nicked all three points.
However, accept that a draw was probably the right result.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Can't decide if it is a fair point, a point gained or two points lost!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Pretty content.

We held our own against an established Premiership club. We definitely Italy could have played better but didn't lose.

And really encouraged by Murray scoring goals....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gazz15

May 13, 2014
Newhaven
Not a great result drawing at home v anyone out of the top 6.

These games we need to win, just like Everton in the previous home game, this is where survival will be decided.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Silly free kick and poor defending let us down early on. I had hoped that Dale giving away niggly needless fouls in dangerous positions was a thing of the past. Can’t help feeling that fitter, faster forwards are taking advantage of him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Can't decide if it is a fair point, a point gained or two points lost!
I think you can cross 'point gained' off your list. I'd go with 'fair point', 'two lost' is harsh and overlooking the quality SCC have. Although I don't really agree, they were favourites for today's game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Silly free kick and poor defending let us down early on. I had hoped that Dale giving away niggly needless fouls in dangerous positions was a thing of the past. Can’t help feeling that fitter, faster forwards are taking advantage of him.
I'd think the most disappointed player for their goal would be Gross, who should be fighting for the rebound, not allowing a free header.

Spanish Seagulls

Nov 18, 2007
Ladbroke Grove
They've grown into a team we can all be proud of which is testament to the ethos of the club from Mr Bloom right down to the car park attendants.

That's why I am proud to support this club, after 43 years & all that has transpired we are still evolving. Thank you Tony, thank you all.

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
These kind of tight encounters often need a moment of quality to decide them, and neither side could quite come up with it today.
Too many nearly moments for us in the second half, I thought – key block from them on Jose's cut in and shot which was on target, and then that great break involving big Shane Duffy which unfortunately ended with Knocky squaring it for someone to get on the end of ... and the last person we wanted shooting in that position was the one it fell too. Anyone but Duffers there and it could have been the winner.
Still - a point's a point, so onwards and upwards. Most people would have happily taken 4 points from our last two games - we just got them a different way to what many expected.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
As I have said on another thread. If it had been Murray and not Duffy on the end of Kmnockaert's pull back we would have won.

We were lacklustre in the first half and I thought we were going to be on the wrong end of it at half time.
So a point gained in that respect.
However Southampton were no great shakes either so an opportunity lost too.

12 pts from the 10 games to date is a reasonable return..
All the time there are more than 3 teams between us and the relegation zone, a point is good enough.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
These kind of tight encounters often need a moment of quality to decide them, and neither side could quite come up with it today.
Too many nearly moments for us in the second half, I thought – key block from them on Jose's cut in and shot which was on target, and then that great break involving big Shane Duffy which unfortunately ended with Knocky squaring it for someone to get on the end of ... and the last person we wanted shooting in that position was the one it fell too. Anyone but Duffers there and it could have been the winner.
Still - a point's a point, so onwards and upwards. Most people would have happily taken 4 points from our last two games - we just got them a different way to what many expected.
Good point - and glad you made it. I now feel a bit happier about our result today when you look at it that way!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I also think its fair to say that in 10 games we haven't played badly yet -we're not going to be our our best every game, but we also haven't had a stinker, and long may that last.

Moreover, there was nothing between us and Saints today - thats us, newly promoted into the premier league for the first time, and Saints, becoming an established Premier league club, finishing top half, not flirting with relegation. Happy with that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Shows how far we’ve come we’re disappointed with a draw against a side of the calibre of Southampton. It was pleasing that we got a point and showed what we had with coming from behind.

Good post.

They've spent over 5 years spending fortunes on players and wages, to create a top half squad. A team of many technical players and loads of top flight experience. Away from home they're a dangerous team.

Yet again, newcomers Brighton hold their own.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
As Southampton looked in control for so much of game has to be seen as a decent point. But could of been so much better.So many misplaced passes and wingers not supplying one cross between them. Also so many freekicks hitting first defender

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Brighton - in fact all the newly-promoted teams - have made a decent start to the season and are on course to stay up.

My only slight reservation about the Seagulls is that 4 of the 9 teams you have not played yet are "big six" teams (Man U, Spurs, Chelsea & Liverpool).

Get a few points from these 4 games and you will be well on course to easily pass the 40 points mark.

Southampton may be 9th but have played 6 out of 10 at home (West Ham game was switched). Also, they have probably had the easiest (on paper) set of fixtures - of the "Big Six", they have only played Man United at home.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I quite enjoyed the game today albeit getting to and from was a nightmare today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here