Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A most un-relaxing BBQ

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Your thoughts on the matter are exactly part of the problem. The rules are simple and by some thick idiots, are not being followed.

If you must know I am being really strict about social distancing. Thinking it through preventing two people sitting, prevents of lots of people deciding to sit and there by forming a crowd, which is a reasonable rationale. This still does not explain why I have seen photos of individuals being moved on from a park bench, why can someone not sit in isolation and enjoy the open air while others can walk past? surely allowing the use of a park bench as opposed to a chair or picnic rug prevents crowds? Another example it is ok (in Victoria) for two people to walk on a golf course provided they are not playing golf, in NSW they half seen how ridiculous this is and allowed two people to play so long as they maintain the 1.5 m rule. I can't sail my dinghy but I can take a canoe onto the local lake? I am all for the social distancing but some of the disparities in the rules need to be ironed out.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
No thread from UNREST yet, complaining about his intimate BBQ-for-2 with Tarquin being rudely interupted?

Strange times indeed.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
This is something I've been thinking about and this weekend I'd have loved nothing more than some cans on the beach.

But if it's ok for me, then maybe my neighbour will feel the same and their neighbour will feel the same and so on.

You can see how this kind of thing could spread as exponentially as the virus without intervention.

I think the guidance regarding taking a walk or a run is about right and people setting up for a bbq or picnic are not helping.

I understand what you are saying - after all if you tell people it’s ok to go for a walk/jog/run/cycle along the prom then this is what happens!

FC81E4BB-DDE7-46A2-9F90-706F6DD39541.jpeg

Apparently taken on Saturday.

Why aren’t the police taking action? Far greater risk.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
People are allowed out to exercise, walking, running, cycling etc NOT to have a BBQ on the beach.

It is far, far easier to stay 2 metres away from someone who is stationary than it is from someone walking/running/cycling. Maybe the couple should have started doing press ups and said they were exercising.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
I understand what you are saying - after all if you tell people it’s ok to go for a walk/jog/run/cycle along the prom then this is what happens!

View attachment 121808

I agree with being able to get out and the streets are empty, I've avoided the seafront but policing that would be difficult, whereas preventing people from setting up on the beach is easier and sends a message.

We need to curb our enthusiasm.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia

View attachment 121808

Yep, and what we have here is close to a mobile crowd. Not a great deal of difference between this and people sitting maintaining distances.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It is far, far easier to stay 2 metres away from someone who is stationary than it is from someone walking/running/cycling. Maybe the couple should have started doing press ups and said they were exercising.

From a crowd management point of view it is clearly easier to prevent crowds/groups forming, if you stop people from being stationary for any length of time. I really can’t believe you are challenging this.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

View attachment 121808

This picture is quite deceptive because of the angle its taken at. If you took a picture of the same people from birds eye view I think you'd see it's not that busy at all. Even looking at the picture you posted, you can tell it's really not crowded with people, and couples/individuals are more than 2m away from the next couple.

As the weather continues to warm though, I wonder whether they'll close the promenade/beach - especially if people keep thinking it's OK to sit on the beach

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

Please tell me you are joking in the second sentence :smile: I'm sure you are.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Please tell me you are joking in the second sentence :smile: I'm sure you are.

Joke, maybe sarcasm - the whole basis of allowing people to leave home and the reasons for doing so is just so wishy washy.

What is exercise to one may not be to another - not all of us wrinklies are capable of walking/running/cycling etc. for half an hour to an hour. But half an hour sat on a bench, (or even, dare I say, the beach), is certainly possible, good for our health and I would claim a far lower risk of being contaminated or contaminating others.

Either stop people from leaving their houses except for truly essential reasons or if you are going to say it is ok to leave for recreational, (exercise), reasons then put a time limit on it and enforce social distancing rigorously. The photo I posted was ridiculous, the whole promenade should have been shut down.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
If you must know I am being really strict about social distancing. Thinking it through preventing two people sitting, prevents of lots of people deciding to sit and there by forming a crowd, which is a reasonable rationale. This still does not explain why I have seen photos of individuals being moved on from a park bench, why can someone not sit in isolation and enjoy the open air while others can walk past? surely allowing the use of a park bench as opposed to a chair or picnic rug prevents crowds? Another example it is ok (in Victoria) for two people to walk on a golf course provided they are not playing golf, in NSW they half seen how ridiculous this is and allowed two people to play so long as they maintain the 1.5 m rule. I can't sail my dinghy but I can take a canoe onto the local lake? I am all for the social distancing but some of the disparities in the rules need to be ironed out.

touching the bench can spread disease , any sitting in public can.

Get someone with it sits on that bench could be passed on all day. Repeat for any public surface

Different in own gardens & moving exercise not touching anything

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Joke, maybe sarcasm - the whole basis of allowing people to leave home and the reasons for doing so is just so wishy washy.

What is exercise to one may not be to another - not all of us wrinklies are capable of walking/running/cycling etc. for half an hour to an hour. But half an hour sat on a bench, (or even, dare I say, the beach), is certainly possible, good for our health and I would claim a far lower risk of being contaminated or contaminating others.

Either stop people from leaving their houses except for truly essential reasons or if you are going to say it is ok to leave for recreational, (exercise), reasons then put a time limit on it and enforce social distancing rigorously. The photo I posted was ridiculous, the whole promenade should have been shut down.

see my reply above.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

View attachment 121808

Nah - viewed from above you'd see the people in the pic are easily keeping 2m apart. The zoom lens gives totally the wrong impression - it's compressing half a mile or more into a single frame. I checked the livecam showing the seafront yesterday a few times out of interest - never more than a few people in shot at all.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html

As for the bellends on the beach, I guess they must have missed the half-a-million communications there have been about what you can and can't do.

Because the rules are, exercise or essential travel, ie work, only and thats only if the work is essential etc. Otherwise, stay at home. It doesn't say, you can go out and sit on a park bench. The reason why they are moved on is because monkey see, monkey do. If everyone started sitting on benches, then you'd start to get crowds of people following suit.

Stay in, save lives, save the NHS. Exercise once a day walk, run or cycle and only go to the shops when ABSOLUTELY necessary...easy to follow.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

Out of Interest, how do you propose to 'rigorously enforce' the time limit in your suggested 'solution'? (In order to stop bellends arguing that it could be interpreted differently to the way you intended)

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Out of Interest, how do you propose to 'rigorously enforce' the time limit in your suggested 'solution'? (In order to stop bellends arguing that it could be interpreted differently to the way you intended)

The real and only answer is to remove “exercise” from the list of allowable reasons to leave home.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Nah - viewed from above you'd see the people in the pic are easily keeping 2m apart. The zoom lens gives totally the wrong impression - it's compressing half a mile or more into a single frame. I checked the livecam showing the seafront yesterday a few times out of interest - never more than a few people in shot at all.

https://www.skylinewebcams.com/en/webcam/united-kingdom/england/brighton/brighton-pier.html

As for the bellends on the beach, I guess they must have missed the half-a-million communications there have been about what you can and can't do.

Not according to the council!

https://www.itv.com/news/meridian/2020-04-04/brighton-council-urges-people-to-go-home/

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
touching the bench can spread disease , any sitting in public can.

Get someone with it sits on that bench could be passed on all day. Repeat for any public surface

Different in own gardens & moving exercise not touching anything

All of that, plus sitting on a bench encourages congregation - you'll hopefully be local to home (if not then you're already a ****), so there's a good chance someone you know will walk past..........they'll stop for a chat.....etc. Next thing you know there's a small crowd of people there. If it's OK for a couple to have a BBQ on the beach, large numbers will be doing it (or similar) in no time. Go out, keep moving, avoid people, go home. Simple really.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
The real and only answer is to remove “exercise” from the list of allowable reasons to leave home.

So, when you proposed a solution, you didn't actually have one, but believe that the whole country should be stopped from exercising by a minority of bellends.

Personally, I would prefer that the Police continue nicking the minority of bellends and allow the rest of the population to exercise.

Obviously we are not going to agree on this, but I think the people who are struggling to understand the instructions (seemingly including you and the two on hove seafront) will be in a minority. :shrug:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here