Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A massive summer clear out and I hope Tony Bloom delivers on his promise......

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It is 100% clear that Hyypia would have taken us down and that the change of manager has (probably) kept us up, so we have improved. But I am becoming very concerned that the dire away tactics are so similar to what Norwich experienced that they may be here to stay. No idea whether I am happy or sad with CH - but I would have liked to be very happy by now as we moved to safety.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Agree entirely with this - I think we really just need those easy to get 10 a penny 20 goal a season men and preferably 2 of them. There that's not too difficult and surely nobody else will be looking for them . . . or will they ?
Hopefully CH has his eyes already on a couple that we don't know about.
The last times we've bought from the division below us ie CMS and Baldock they haven't exactly set the world alight so I think we have to bite the bullet and go for proven Championship (or Premiership) players who will be able to slot straight into the team and provide those goals

Disagree with this, buying a young player from lower leagues is the most cost effective way of finding a striker. We just need to find the right one that is the hard bit. It may also help to have a front 2 especially at home, I think there is enough evidence that t he striker playing as a winger does not work.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It is 100% clear that Hyypia would have taken us down and that the change of manager has (probably) kept us up, so we have improved. But I am becoming very concerned that the dire away tactics are so similar to what Norwich experienced that they may be here to stay. No idea whether I am happy or sad with CH - but I would have liked to be very happy by now as we moved to safety.

Hughton is an experienced, pragmatic manager. He took up a good (for the division) Newcastle side, got an average Birmingham side to 4th in the same division and then had to deal with keeping up a Norwich side that were out of their depth. He did so, finishing 11th and then leaving with his side 17th (they got relegated). Same with us. If we head more towards the side that contained Bridge / Upson / Ulloa / Buckley / Barnes / Bridcutt then I think he will take us up. But I don't think Brian Clough / Fergie / Klopp could get the current squad above 14th. Pay peanuts, get monkeys.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You are joking right? That is sarcasm I take it. Bruno is one of the best right backs we have had....ever and still is.

Utter utter tosh

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Here we go. Yes he spent 200m and yes we are grateful etc etc blah blah.

Fact is if he wants promotion we need GOALS and players that score goals are expensive.

No more L1 top scorers or luck gambles like Ulloa but BALLS OUT strikers cost lots of loot. You either pay it or you dont but dont ****ing bleat mr chairman when you buy L1 top scorer, someone from a relegated side and a spanish midget as your forward line.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Here we go. Yes he spent 200m and yes we are grateful etc etc blah blah.

Fact is if he wants promotion we need GOALS and players that score goals are expensive.

No more L1 top scorers or luck gambles like Ulloa but BALLS OUT strikers cost lots of loot. You either pay it or you dont but dont ****ing bleat mr chairman when you buy L1 top scorer, someone from a relegated side and a spanish midget as your forward line.

Exactly - especially last sentence, u cannot get a striker on the cheap but we have and failed miserably - all 4 of baldrick, cog, cms, colunga aren't good enough

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
You are joking right? That is sarcasm I take it. Bruno is one of the best right backs we have had....ever and still is.

Utter utter tosh

Bruno had ONE good season. I'm sorry but as much as it's a sin to besmirch Saint Calde we have the weakest full backs in the division this season, whatever combination we run with.

Calde has been best at RM, Bruno has been hapless at times and Bennett couldn't tackle a septuagenarian.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Bruno had ONE good season. I'm sorry but as much as it's a sin to besmirch Saint Calde we have the weakest full backs in the division this season, whatever combination we run with.

Calde has been best at RM, Bruno has been hapless at times and Bennett couldn't tackle a septuagenarian.

Not sure he had one imo.

We need new right/centre/left back, some sort of inventive attacking midfielders/wingers and some forwards, in fact we need virtually a whole new squad.

Bruno is shite, Calderon too slow

Oh FFS Murray just scored

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Disagree with this, buying a young player from lower leagues is the most cost effective way of finding a striker. We just need to find the right one that is the hard bit. It may also help to have a front 2 especially at home, I think there is enough evidence that t he striker playing as a winger does not work.

Bournemouth done this with Callum Wilson, but that was our missed chance. Warren Aspinal said back last year that Burke was aware of this before any other club but done f@#k all about it.

Now with C H in charge,and us having a manager in place for the summer Bloom must show the fans that he will put his money where his mouth is and back C H with a good transfer pot.
I will not accept wait until the end of the window and then judge us, let's start planning now.

We have spent very little this season on buying players, but waisted alot on loans let's not let this happen again.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Not sure he had one imo.

We need new right/centre/left back, some sort of inventive attacking midfielders/wingers and some forwards, in fact we need virtually a whole new squad.

Tad depressing read...which makes it fairly inevitable there will be a number of loan deals

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Not sure he had one imo.

I have just tried to ask myself who I'd keep if money was no object. The answer was, well, almost no one,

Ince - keep
Dunk - keep
Kayal - keep
Walton - keep
Baldock - keep

That's my definites.

After that I can't make a case for keeping a player other than sentimentality around Calde.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
I have just tried to ask myself who I'd keep if money was no object. The answer was, well, almost no one,

Ince - keep
Dunk - keep
Kayal - keep
Walton - keep
Baldock - keep

That's my definites.

After that I can't make a case for keeping a player other than sentimentality around Calde.

Would add Stockdale to that list as I think he has got better and March

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011

Ince - keep
Dunk - keep
Kayal - keep
Walton - keep
Baldock - keep

That's my definites.

COG will make a good squad CF.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003

March is a good shout. Agreed.

Stockdale? I can't make my mind up. Good shot stopper, good distribution and great in the dressing room but prone to howlers and no consistency. I'd have Walton as number one with an experienced "end of days" keeper as no 2 and get some cash back personally.

We have one of the best young keepers in the country not playing because "we don't want to risk them" and yet. in two games at our nadir this season, we had to chuck him in anyway.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
Where's the money gonna come from to virtually rebuild the whole side??
Hardly any sell on value with current players except Dunk & Ince but they're the two players we need to keep at the club to build around, gonna be another long hard season IMO

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

And to honest what's March down? Other than squeeze between February and April.

I can only think of the list above and Stockdale. The rest are simply not good enough.

Calderon- not good enough & too old
Bruno- Huge no
Bennett- Not ours and a big no anyway
Greer- Too slow/old and simply not good enough now.
Halford- Not ours and maybe as a back up
Hughes- Who knows? He hardly plays so must assume he's worse than those before him so not good enough
Holla- not good enough
Crofts- will never play again
Lua lua- doesn't do it often enough- a one trick pony
Tex- not ours and only turns up for 10 minutes max. a game
CMS- crap
Best-Not ours and shite
O Grady- Not good enough
JFC- not strong enough maybe for the future
the rest are just cheap dross

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here