[Football] A long season for Luton?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Part of it is that we're quite a good side as well.

Luton will get some decent results this year. They will target set pieces and will be more solid than we made them look yesterday.

That said, fitness will be an issue. Yes they are down already, but I don't see any records being broken

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
If Sheff Utd do not replace their two best players they just sold I reckon Luton will finish above them. Sheff Utd's performance yesterday was terrible I understand and should have been a 3 point target result.

This. Forest at around evens to beat them next week is like finding money on the street.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Every set piece in any game can be threatening. You just need someone who can cross with pace and a couple of big guys. Non league teams have that.

The fact is they didn’t score from their set pieces which we defended easily. They don’t have a single player good enough at this level. That’s how I came to the conclusion.
Apart from a few chances that another day would have gone in? Especially the one straight at Steele. I would not can that "defended easily". You are acting a little cocky and really underestimating them. Just like people hate it when clubs trott out the "teams like Brighton" line. Don't become one of them.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Apart from a few chances that another day would have gone in? Especially the one straight at Steele. I would not can that "defended easily". You are acting a little cocky and really underestimating them. Just like people hate it when clubs trott out the "teams like Brighton" line. Don't become one of them.
Says someone who’s watched “soccer” for the equivalent of five minutes and wasn’t actually at the game.

Kicking the ball straight at the keeper is part of their issues. They’ll go down. 30 - 33 points max.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Im not going to be completely down on them.

They're organised, big, quick to attack.
They'll not be playing Teams Like Brighton, every week.

They did seem naive in the challenge and leggy at the end.
I'm not saying they will definitely stay up, but they give it a better go than many would have you believe.
" Teams Like Brighton ?"

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
When were you last at the Amex......just asking ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'd like them to stay up, but they look dogshit. VERY fortunate that our general rustiness afforded them only a 3 goal defeat.

They'll pick up a few surprise results with their humpage and crosses towards those units up front, against the lesser piss-poor teams such as Everton and Palace. But they are in for some absolute spankings against anyone half decent. They're doomed along with Sheffield and Wolves.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Reads more like an objective assessment to me, not cockiness…….I’ve watched probably 70-80% of our PL games live, even at our worst we nowhere near as defensively naive as Luton were yesterday and we’ve always been fitter (they had players visibly blowing after less than 30 mins - I sit 10 rows or so back from the touchline). We were way off our best yesterday and were blooding new players and still had 27 attempts on goal, and many reports I‘ve read or comments I’ve heard from various pundits think we should have won by 7 or 8. Away from set pieces they had no real threat, and their keeper persisted in hoofing long balls upfield that Dunk was able deal with in his sleep. You can pick their one decent chance that Steele saved, but we hit the post 3 times and missed an absolute sitter.

I’ll disagree with @GB on one thing though - can’t see them getting 30 points.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Says someone who’s watched “soccer” for the equivalent of five minutes and wasn’t actually at the game.

Kicking the ball straight at the keeper is part of their issues. They’ll go down. 30 - 33 points max.
I see being dismissive of people is quite the character trait of yours. I can tell you it doesn't bother me as I am not seeking your approval. Neither, I would imagine, do Luton.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
I see being dismissive of people is quite the character trait of yours. I can tell you it doesn't bother me as I am not seeking your approval. Neither, I would imagine, do Luton.
Don't think they were seeking our approval when they sang songs about our players apparently being rapists, paedophiles and rent boys either.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Don't think they were seeking our approval when they sang songs about our players apparently being rapists, paedophiles and rent boys either.
No. But I don't see how that has anything to do with underestimating the quality of the team. Just because the are Luton and people have never heard of them before in an EPL context does not mean they are going to be terrible. Look at Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and even Leeds had a couple of decent seasons before going down.
The chances are they will go down, but it is extremely bad to just write them off because they are "little old Luton". It is statements like this thread that start to make us no different from the entitled big six fans.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I’ll disagree with @GB on one thing though - can’t see them getting 30 points.
If, IF, they get their first win on the board early and if they stay on the coattails of the rest of the dross, I can see them getting into the 30's, at which point they're only 2 wins away from safety.

They're going to catch some luck, teams coming back from war torn Ukraine aren't going to fancy Kenilworth Road on a Sunday lunchtime.
They'll play 'weakened' teams.

You don't have to out run the bear, just 3 other hikers.

Gotta pick up that win though, so they know they can.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
One or two flattering reports around today. Clearly written by people who wanted Luton’s return to be a fairytale. To me, this one felt like an FA Cup tie. They were very much Championship standard. A couple of scares, but Albion had plenty in reserve as they showed when the score got to 2-1. The question is whether they can raise their game enough and adapt as we had to when we first arrived in the Premier League. I don’t really see it happening.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
No. But I don't see how that has anything to do with underestimating the quality of the team. Just because the are Luton and people have never heard of them before in an EPL context does not mean they are going to be terrible. Look at Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and even Leeds had a couple of decent seasons before going down.
The chances are they will go down, but it is extremely bad to just write them off because they are "little old Luton". It is statements like this thread that start to make us no different from the entitled big six fans.
Well I’m not underestimating them, I’m judging on what I saw. I’m writing them off because they looked very poor and not equipped for the PL, not because they are ‘little old Luton’.

Maybe they’ll work it out and improve….good luck to them but the players mostly didn’t look good enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports