Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A long season for Luton?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
No. But I don't see how that has anything to do with underestimating the quality of the team. Just because the are Luton and people have never heard of them before in an EPL context does not mean they are going to be terrible. Look at Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and even Leeds had a couple of decent seasons before going down.
The chances are they will go down, but it is extremely bad to just write them off because they are "little old Luton". It is statements like this thread that start to make us no different from the entitled big six fans.
Nobody’s calling them little old Luton but commenting on the lack of quality they have and how easily they were put to the sword by a half arsed Brighton performance. As I put on another thread that game had a very similar feel to the Grimsby cup game and that was easily one of the poorest sides I have seen in the PL. Their positioning and how easily and cheaply they conceded possession was astonishing and it was a real rabbit in the headlights performance in a game they would have been right up for (being the opener). They are going to seriously struggle and are nailed on to go down IMO. Not that they will care as the money from this season and subsequent parachute payments will be transformative for them as a club but calling out how poor they are after watching the game is hardly top six entitlement is it!!

Last edited:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
I was surprised by how limp they were, how tactically inept they were, how unfit they were, how useless the big no 11 looked (first touch of a wheelybin) and how little firein the belly there appeared to be. they are in for a series of drubbings if they play like that. As others have said, we barely got into second gear for the first 60 minutes...

thought their fans were nothing special either

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
As others have said, they were by far and away the worst premier league team I've seen at the Amex (including the Newcastle team we beat in the FA Cup while we were in the Champ!). I would say they would struggle to be a top half League One side.

Nothing up front apart from a couple of rugby players. Their captain looked like he'd been recruited from the Dog and Duck Sunday side. The only slightly bright spot was their right back who I thought did well against Mitoma, and looked decent going forward. I looked him up when I got home and he's on loan from Man City, so at least has an escape route.

Would be surprised if they get to twenty points without serious recruitment in the next few weeks. And their fans will not be so gobby by mid-October when they've had their backsides handed to them a few times away from home.

sahel

Jan 24, 2014
As others have said, they were by far and away the worst premier league team I've seen at the Amex (including the Newcastle team we beat in the FA Cup while we were in the Champ!). I would say they would struggle to be a top half League One side.

Nothing up front apart from a couple of rugby players. Their captain looked like he'd been recruited from the Dog and Duck Sunday side. The only slightly bright spot was their right back who I thought did well against Mitoma, and looked decent going forward. I looked him up when I got home and he's on loan from Man City, so at least has an escape route.

Would be surprised if they get to twenty points without serious recruitment in the next few weeks. And their fans will not be so gobby by mid-October when they've had their backsides handed to them a few times away from home.
I think I watched a different game to everyone else. I thought Luton did really well. In fact they played Brighton at their own game. They sucked them in with everyone behind the ball and then broke very quickly. They exposed Brighton on the flanks and could easily have scored 2 or 3. It was a very open game and each side could have scored plenty. At 2-1 it was anyone's game

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
They looked OK, but that's all. But hold on, we have the 'staying up' tracker which dictates points needed to get to 40. We would have been a 0 game. At home with only 9K fans and 1K away it may be different. But look at their fixtures and you suddenly worry about where their first points will come from.
Target 1 from Hammers @home.
1 from Wolves @Home
Maybe a couple more from away games at Everton & Forest but their first real 3 pointer is Palace at home 25th November when they could be well adrift at the bottom of the table.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I think I watched a different game to everyone else. I thought Luton did really well. In fact they played Brighton at their own game. They sucked them in with everyone behind the ball and then broke very quickly. They exposed Brighton on the flanks and could easily have scored 2 or 3. It was a very open game and each side could have scored plenty. At 2-1 it was anyone's game
I only listened on the radio but felt the same. Watching the highlights back as well if they'd scored that chance at 3-1 then suddenly it's 3-2 and the last ten minutes become pretty nervy.

I still don't think they'll survive though. But I would imagine a lot of people said that about us in our first season too.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
I don't think we got out of second gear though. And could have still scored 7 or 8.

Seagull on the Hill

Jan 22, 2022
No. But I don't see how that has anything to do with underestimating the quality of the team. Just because the are Luton and people have never heard of them before in an EPL context does not mean they are going to be terrible. Look at Newcastle, Brighton, Brentford and even Leeds had a couple of decent seasons before going down.
The chances are they will go down, but it is extremely bad to just write them off because they are "little old Luton". It is statements like this thread that start to make us no different from the entitled big six fans.
You might not have heard of Luton before Saturday, but some of us can remember playing them in the 1960's.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I Think Luton did well or at least better than i expected…….but if they could have had 2 or three we could have had 7 or 8 😏

Their defending was pretty naive at times

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
When were you last at the Amex......just asking ?
I’ve seen this a couple of times recently. We can all have opinions. Do you want NSC to become Season Ticket Holder chat ? These days I only go to away games so it could be argued don’t see the team play live enough to form an opinion. Someone based in America will never see the team live but still has something to contribute albeit we can all take the distance into account when reading the post.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
We'll create 25+ chances against better sides than Luton, so it's not the defense that they will get them relegated IMO. But where are their goals coming from?

They didn't have a lot of nous. Free kicks and corners will get them a few. Nowhere near enough in my opinion though

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I see Luton's Mpanzu made history at the Amex on Saturday, First player to rise from non-league to Premier League with the same club.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interesting talking to several Luton supporters. Appreciate none knew of our problems getting a ground but many were saying with the hassle of getting to and from ground that it was proof that unless no alternative out of town grounds not the way to go

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
There’s a thread on their forum in response to this one. It’s quite amusing that many of them believe that BHA fans have become arrogant in the PL and yet wish us to return to our ‘rightful place’ at an athletics track in L1 :)
Also a few of them asking where all our fans have come from since Gillingham and Withdean. I’m going to have to assume that if they ever allow youngsters in to Kenilworth Road a few on that board are going to get a bit of a shock at their existence.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There’s a thread on their forum in response to this one. It’s quite amusing that many of them believe that BHA fans have become arrogant in the PL and yet wish us to return to our ‘rightful place’ at an athletics track in L1 :)
Also a few of them asking where all our fans have come from since Gillingham and Withdean. I’m going to have to assume that if they ever allow youngsters in to Kenilworth Road a few are going to get a bit of a shock at their existence.
One of them describes the Amex as "crap" - quite a remarkable opinion from someone who watches games at KR

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here