Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A little help please what is Sussex famous for as a theme for a Jamoree.

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
james bond - ian fleming was based in Littlehampton at his royal marines commando unit in the war. they used to have annual gatherings at the marine pub ( alas no more, as im sure no more for the majority of the veterans)

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Can people help please.

I have a work colleague who is taking the West Sussex sea scout explorers to Japan for a world wide jamboree with Scouts etc from all round the world and they have to have a theme. Obviously East Sussex can use 1066 and the Norman invasion however he is struggling to come up with a theme for West Sussex other than Saxons.

Any ideas please ?

Famous things that occurred here or people etc, The internet is not throwing up a lot in all fairness.

Thank you

AA Milne aka Winnie the Pooh.

Japs love that kinda shit.:thumbsup:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It has the worst road in the country running through it, with the three West Sussex bottle necks of Chichester, Arundel and Worthing. Unfortunately no person with enough clout to overcome local self interest lives along the route.
Also the best maintained tunnel in the world, is in West Sussex. It's a credit to the County.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
As the Normans didn't just stick to East Sussex when they invaded I think you could count west & east & B&H towards what the World love us best for namely Rock & Roll.
Who else can claim a line up even close to The Stones, The Who, The Beatles & Pink Floyd as residents of the same county?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Chichester a very likely site for the "invasion" of Britain by the Romans, hence the nearby Fishbourne Palace. There is a strong theory by some Historians that the Romans were welcomed in by tribe leader who resided at Fishbourne as they were at the time under strict occupation by Northern tribes, there is strong evidence that the Romans had already been in the area that is now West Sussex for some time as Fishbourne Palace pre-dates the Roman invasion by some 30 years. This theory summises that the Romans were seen as liberating force and not invasive at all. All theory though.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Wing Commander Douglas Bader and Tangmere
However promoting a WW2 hero in Japan may lead to unexpected results.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I suggest a Sussex theme would be far more of interest to the slit-eyes than a West Sussex theme. They may have heard of Sussex, they most certainly will not know or care that the county is divided in two.

If you oop north would you be trying to locate a South Yorkshire theme, or just a Yorkshire theme? The latter I'll wager.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
St Cuthman
West Dean Chilli Fiesta
Not having Portsmouth within its boundaries?

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
AA Milne aka Winnie the Pooh.

Japs love that kinda shit.:thumbsup:

Also E Sussex I'm afraid as the W. the P. books are set in Ashdown Forest. I'd go with the whole of Sussex idea rather than just focusing on the West.

If you do focus on the W though, is Hilaire Belloc still famous enough?

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Sir Arthur Conan Doyle ... Sherlock Holmes

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
No it doesn't, the site dates back to 30 years AFTER the Roman invasion!
It was built on the site of a Roman command chain that was started in AD43.

Ah, you could well be right but I'm not certain. I will have a look but I think there was something to do with a Roman building being there prior. Happy to stand corrected though, always want to know other people's theories. the trouble with ancient history is that for 50 years something is accepted as gospel until someone comes along and disproves it and then 50 yrs later.... and so forth.

Helter Skelter

Nov 1, 2012
Southwick
What about Charles 2nd. escaping to France from Shoreham after the battle of Boscobel back in 1651.He escaped across West Sussex from Racton(Nr.Chichester) past Amberley,Arundel and Beeding finally departing from Shoreham.
Also Dragons are well known in folklore of West Sussex with tales of the fire-breathing beasts existing at the Knucker hole at Lyminster near Littlehampton,St.Leonards Forest and Faygate.

Stayed a night in Southwick at the a cottage now known as "King Charles Cottage" before he left for France.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Also E Sussex I'm afraid as the W. the P. books are set in Ashdown Forest. I'd go with the whole of Sussex idea rather than just focusing on the West.

If you do focus on the W though, is Hilaire Belloc still famous enough?

I'm sure HB is a big thing among quasi-facist Catholic nationalists but i think we have to face up to the fact West Sussex is shit. Famous for being next to East Sussex was the best answer. Hopefully they will frack enough of the Commuter County till it sinks down to the underworld and they can all work for Hades direct rather than via The City.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Lawnmower racing, Goodwood for motor Racing, Arundel Castle home to the Howard family who featured heavily during medieval history, Petworth House or Rolls Royce made in Chichester

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here