A-level Results Day

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
semantics mate, mcdonalds may "require" managers to have a degree,they certainly dont "need" one.

You could manage a resturant including business planning without being taught then? When I say you get a degree you don't spend 3 years studying, you do the training programme and get the degree at the end. It's not at a cost to the taxpayer either.

You're a very ignorant man sometimes Bushy. You've never done my job so how can you pass judgement on who should and shouldn't be doing it? All bar 2 of our 8 managers have degrees as varied as History and Business to Computing (me) and Geography, and the 2 who don't have degrees have at least a decade of experience in the restaurant business. Finally don't get angry about me being "less fortunate". I'm 19 and have a career. I'm very happy with where I am now.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Brilliant, Bushy and others are the first to deride "hopeless no good scrounging dole moles" but first to have a pop at a guy who studies and has a job he wants to advance in. Bushy: The perfect English Citizen. We could all learn a lot from that man.

Lady Gull

Aug 6, 2011
West sussex
I manage a team of software testers. Not a trade that is related to any of my 'A' Levels, and only tenuously associated with my degree!

Cool - you did ok then. He hasn't got a clue what to do next - says he's not going back and it's all rather stressful in the house - well done though to everyone who has done well - xx

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You could manage a resturant including business planning without being taught then? When I say you get a degree you don't spend 3 years studying, you do the training programme and get the degree at the end. It's not at a cost to the taxpayer either.

You're a very ignorant man sometimes Bushy. You've never done my job so how can you pass judgement on who should and shouldn't be doing it? All bar 2 of our 8 managers have degrees as varied as History and Business to Computing (me) and Geography, and the 2 who don't have degrees have at least a decade of experience in the restaurant business. Finally don't get angry about me being "less fortunate". I'm 19 and have a career. I'm very happy with where I am now.
I'm not angry about you being less fortunate mate , you seem very happy and it sounds like you've got a definitive path you want to follow, good for you, the part about being less fortunate is a separate argument with nibble, as for whether you need a degree to manage a mcdonalds , yet again i'll tell you that you dont , which leads back to the crux of the argument about "McDegrees" (excuse the pun) , managing a restaurant , including planning future ordering requirements is something that can be learnt on the job , with day release to a local tech, for the accounting side of things , sorry but it's true , however much you want to dress it up as otherwise, I genuinely hope you do go on to bigger and better things within your organisation, you certainly sound ambitious, but at the end of the day , nobody will convince me that managing a fast food restaurant requires or needs a degree.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Brilliant, Bushy and others are the first to deride "hopeless no good scrounging dole moles" but first to have a pop at a guy who studies and has a job he wants to advance in. Bushy: The perfect English Citizen. We could all learn a lot from that man.

seriously, point out where i've had a pop at him, fucks sake read my posts before you make yourself look even more of a c*nt , i've simply told him i feel he's overqualified for his job .

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I'm not angry about you being less fortunate mate , you seem very happy and it sounds like you've got a definitive path you want to follow, good for you, the part about being less fortunate is a separate argument with nibble, as for whether you need a degree to manage a mcdonalds , yet again i'll tell you that you dont , which leads back to the crux of the argument about "McDegrees" (excuse the pun) , managing a restaurant , including planning future ordering requirements is something that can be learnt on the job , with day release to a local tech, for the accounting side of things , sorry but it's true , however much you want to dress it up as otherwise, I genuinely hope you do go on to bigger and better things within your organisation, you certainly sound ambitious, but at the end of the day , nobody will convince me that managing a fast food restaurant requires or needs a degree.

Actually the way you described the degree you get through becoming a Business Manager is how it works pretty much. Only you do enough work to be awarded a degree.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
seriously, point out where i've had a pop at him, fucks sake read my posts before you make yourself look even more of a c*nt , i've simply told him i feel he's overqualified for his job .

I read your post. You sat in judgement, as you always do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... All bar 2 of our 8 managers have degrees as varied as History and Business to Computing (me) and Geography, ... I'm 19 and have a career. I'm very happy with where I am now.

i fancy that at 19 you do not actually have a degree, you mean you are studying for one? anyway, History, Computing and Geography degrees do not equip you to mangaing a bar, and a business degree is only really usfull if you're planning on running the PubCo. as proven by those managing with a degree but experience. so whats your point?

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
i fancy that at 19 you do not actually have a degree, you mean you are studying for one? anyway, History, Computing and Geography degrees do not equip you to mangaing a bar, and a business degree is only really usfull if you're planning on running the PubCo. as proven by those managing with a degree but experience. so whats your point?

sorry yeah, i'm studying for mine.

The transferable skills that we have from studying or acquiring our degrees equips us to run the store. The training we receive when we become a manager enables us to use this and become better shift managers. Regardless of if you have a degree or not, become a BM gives you a degree. I can't remember what level and what the title is but you get a degree of a description. Because the skills you need to run the store all add up to the skills you would gain on a degree course.

My point is that although managing a McDonalds has nothing to do with Forensic Computing, I can use my degree in my job which bushy was disputing (or at the least saying it's a waste of time - which it isn't. it's sped my career progression up and i've not even finished it yet)

Congrats to all those going who got what they wanted. For those of you off to Uni, here's a sneak preview of large parts of your next three years :thumbsup: (particularly when you move into shared housing)

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
:lolol:

I'm not studying geography... i'm studying computing. It's hardly "poxy" if i'm going to use it, and I hardly have "no idea what I want to do with it" because i've got that bit sorted. And Portsmouth isn't "poxy".

I had a couple of shocking exams where I just forgot how to sit an exam and royally cocked up. I didn't prepare enough, I didn't do enough exam practice. My own fault but if I had those 2 units (Psychology and Politics) in line with the others then i'd have an ABC for my A-levels. And that'd be 300 points.

Finally, I have ambitions just in a company you don't associate ambition with.

I am studying geography at Portsmouth you tool. The place is full of idiots.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My point is that although managing a McDonalds has nothing to do with Forensic Computing, I can use my degree in my job which bushy was disputing

there is nothing, unless you need to investigate fraudulent transactions going through the tills, that your Forensic Computing course will add to your skills that couldnt have been gained through a programme of afternoon/evening study. i imagine thats bushy's point.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
I am studying geography at Portsmouth you tool. The place is full of idiots.

Derp.

That aside, the rest of my post is valid. But why don't you leave if you hate it so much or say so many bad things about it?

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...
Cool - you did ok then. He hasn't got a clue what to do next - says he's not going back and it's all rather stressful in the house - well done though to everyone who has done well - xx

Way back when I got my solitary 'D' and was contemplating applying to Woolworths for a job my sister took me to one side and pointed out that I could still get on an HND with that, and that that could well lead onto a degree. It did, best bit of advice I ever had... and five years living in South Wales was great preparation for twelve years sitting in the South Stand at Withdean!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
there is nothing, unless you need to investigate fraudulent transactions going through the tills, that your Forensic Computing course will add to your skills that couldnt have been gained through a programme of afternoon/evening study. i imagine thats bushy's point.

No theres probably not but my degree is fulfilling and I want to study computing, because of my passion for it. An evening class in critical thinking could have been useful but less rewarding (from what I know)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports