Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A-level Results Day

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
ffs mate you can surely do better than mcdonalds store manager with a degree in forensic computing ??

Not necessarily. I enjoy my job very much. I'm very good at it. There is also no limit on what I can do in the Company. The guy a step below CEO started out as crew. My franchisee went in at the level i'm at now and runs all 4 Brighton stores and the Newhaven store.

My degree is really interesting, i've always had a passion for computing and it's great knowing i'm studying something i love but the skills are transferable. The attention to detail required in my course can be applied to the endless data sheets and projections sheets I use at work.

"better" is relative and an opinion. For me, i'm doing a "better" job now than i expect most people will get after doing their degree. For others (like you) any job is "better" than mine.

Last edited:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Not necessarily.
well no offence, i'm not sure if you've paid for your course or whatever, but if you havent , then its an absolutely colossal waste of f***ing money for the taxpayer , what on earth are we paying for you to study forensic computing for 3 years to then go and manage a mcdonalds store , which though never having done so myself i can f***ing assure you it doesnt require a degree in forensic computing, in fact it doesnt require a degree at all.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
well no offence, i'm not sure if you've paid for your course or whatever, but if you havent , then its an absolutely colossal waste of f***ing money for the taxpayer , what on earth are we paying for you to study forensic computing for 3 years to then go and manage a mcdonalds store , which though never having done so myself i can f***ing assure you it doesnt require a degree in forensic computing, in fact it doesnt require a degree at all.

But Bushy, if good English lads don't man these posts the McDonalds of England will be taken over by, dare I say it? I do........Immigrants, DUH DUH DUH.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
Maybe the kids expecting Cs and Ds aren't the ones that volunteer to open them live on telly?

They don't exactly volunteer. The college knows if a camera crew is coming in, they arrange that weeks before. Schools round here take turns in having the Argus cameraman in, for instance, so they would certainly know about a BBC film crew which would have got the 'OK' back in July. Then the day before results day they invite a couple of students in (the college knows their results the day before but they can't tell the students). So the kids who open the results live on telly are hand-picked by the colleges in the full knowledge that they've got A grades.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
They don't exactly volunteer. The college knows if a camera crew is coming in, they arrange that weeks before. Schools round here take turns in having the Argus cameraman in, for instance, so they would certainly know about a BBC film crew which would have got the 'OK' back in July. Then the day before results day they invite a couple of students in (the college knows their results the day before but they can't tell the students). So the kids who open the results live on telly are hand-picked by the colleges in the full knowledge that they've got A grades.

Aha!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Actually it does require a degree - no matter what degree you currently hold the basic training you go through to become a business manager will result in a degree awarded by Manchester Met (i believe its Met).

It's not a "colossal" waste of money. I already pay tax on nearly every payslip. So i've not even finished and i'm paying back what i've taken. The fact i'm doing my degree in such a technical area is what put me in a position to get promoted to earn more money to pay more tax. So the investment the taxpayer has made in me will be repaid by the fact i'll be earning more than I could have should that investment not been made. One of the managers of the Adults Complaints Office in WSCC has a degree in Anthropology. Another high up official in WSCC has a degree in Sports Science. I plan on taking the skills from my degree and using them to my advantage to make loads of money which will be taxed and given back to those who need it more such as other taxpayers currently supporting me when they take out their pensions. It's swings and round abouts.

Success of the education system is not measured by "do you do a job which is relevant to your degree" but "did you get the skills you need to go where you want in life and contribute back to those who supported you". I believe my degree does that for me.

SNOOBS

Feb 25, 2007
Brighton
f***ing hell I wish I tried harder in A levels and didn't end up at a poxy university in Portsmouth where I will probably come out with a poxy geography degree having no idea what I want to do with it.

KneeOn get some ambitions. Suppose if you did scrape 260 points though... Jesus Christ man.

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009
f***ing hell I wish I tried harder in A levels and didn't end up at a poxy university in Portsmouth where I will probably come out with a poxy geography degree having no idea what I want to do with it.

KneeOn get some ambitions. Suppose if you did scrape 260 points though... Jesus Christ man.

:lolol:

I'm not studying geography... i'm studying computing. It's hardly "poxy" if i'm going to use it, and I hardly have "no idea what I want to do with it" because i've got that bit sorted. And Portsmouth isn't "poxy".

I had a couple of shocking exams where I just forgot how to sit an exam and royally cocked up. I didn't prepare enough, I didn't do enough exam practice. My own fault but if I had those 2 units (Psychology and Politics) in line with the others then i'd have an ABC for my A-levels. And that'd be 300 points.

Finally, I have ambitions just in a company you don't associate ambition with.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
But Bushy, if good English lads don't man these posts the McDonalds of England will be taken over by, dare I say it? I do........Immigrants, DUH DUH DUH.
Not good english lads with degrees in forensic computing though , bit of a waste wouldnt you think ?

how about good english lads who see fit to do fuckall but father kids and claim benefits ? DUH!!! you really will have to sharpen up your thinking mate if you want to post "amusing" ripostes to my posts.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not good english lads with degrees in forensic computing though , bit of a waste wouldnt you think ?

how about good english lads who see fit to do fuckall but father kids and claim benefits ? DUH!!! you really will have to sharpen up your thinking mate if you want to post "amusing" ripostes to my posts.

Ha! Sorry did I just get a lesson in humour from THE Bushy? Super. I'll write that down. Ha!!

And no, if the guy thinks he can make a place for himself in a job he's happy in fair play to him. He certainly seems a damn sight more contented with his lot in life than you!!

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Actually it does require a degree - no matter what degree you currently hold the basic training you go through to become a business manager will result in a degree awarded by Manchester Met (i believe its Met).

It's not a "colossal" waste of money. I already pay tax on nearly every payslip. So i've not even finished and i'm paying back what i've taken. The fact i'm doing my degree in such a technical area is what put me in a position to get promoted to earn more money to pay more tax. So the investment the taxpayer has made in me will be repaid by the fact i'll be earning more than I could have should that investment not been made. One of the managers of the Adults Complaints Office in WSCC has a degree in Anthropology. Another high up official in WSCC has a degree in Sports Science. I plan on taking the skills from my degree and using them to my advantage to make loads of money which will be taxed and given back to those who need it more such as other taxpayers currently supporting me when they take out their pensions. It's swings and round abouts.

Success of the education system is not measured by "do you do a job which is relevant to your degree" but "did you get the skills you need to go where you want in life and contribute back to those who supported you". I believe my degree does that for me.
semantics mate, mcdonalds may "require" managers to have a degree,they certainly dont "need" one.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Ha! Sorry did I just get a lesson in humour from THE Bushy? Super. I'll write that down. Ha!!

And no, if the guy thinks he can make a place for himself in a job he's happy in fair play to him. He certainly seems a damn sight more contented with his lot in life than you!!
i'm pretty contented with my life, its my less fortunate contemporaries that i get angry about.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
f***ing hell i wish i tried harder in a levels and didn't end up at a poxy university in portsmouth where i will probably come out with a poxy geography degree having no idea what i want to do with it.

Kneeon get some ambitions. Suppose if you did scrape 260 points though... Jesus christ man.

this!

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Why am I being lumbered with managing these people, because you don't think they can do anything else lets shove them at McDonalds and that will be that? It might be cheap fast food but if one person doesn't do their bit then I personally am in trouble. Don't just shove the "undesirables" in the lowest paying job you can think of and let that be that - you'll be messing up "good english lads with degrees in forensic computing"

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
Two years ago I did these poxy A levels, banged out English Literature, English Language and History all too easy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here