Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A-level Results Day

oldalbiongirl

Jun 25, 2011
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow. Ignore all the rubbish about exams getting easier. Older generations just say it to make themselves feel better about their own qualifications. They were saying it when I sat mine in 1994 and they will be saying it it another 18 years too. Good luck.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Good luck to you all. Was in the same position last year, a lot of hard work rests on a piece of paper which can determine whether you get into Uni or not, remember walking in absolutely bricking it last year.

Just hope UCAS has sorted it's act together, because they were a f***ing shambles last year in letting people know whether they'd attained university places. Was on the phone for a good 4 hours straight.

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Good luck to you all. Was in the same position last year, a lot of hard work rests on a piece of paper which can determine whether you get into Uni or not, remember walking in absolutely bricking it last year.

Just hope UCAS has sorted it's act together, because they were a f***ing shambles last year in letting people know whether they'd attained university places. Was on the phone for a good 4 hours straight.

Hope student finance are better. In fairness I've just finished Uni now so this was 3 years ago but they were beyond poor around this time then. The amount of people who started that year with no finance in place was ridiculous.

Last edited:

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
UCAS last year seemingly didn't think of the amount of people all logging on at once to see if they had got in to uni. Took me a few hours of trying before I could eventually log on! Although in that time I managed to get my A level results so knew anyways; just wanted UCAS to really confirm.

Student finance I find is alright, but just the process is a bit annoying.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Hope student finance are better. In fairness I've just finished Uni now so this was 3 years ago but they were beyond poor around this time then. The amount of people who started that year with no finance in place was ridiculous.

I royally cocked up one of my history exams, and ended up with a B when I needed an A for my university place. Was sat at college trying to access the UCAS site from 9.05am until about 11.30am, before giving up and trying to get through by phone to see if i'd got my place still. After 3 hours on the phone I finally got through, luckily got my place, but anyone that know's me would remember I was far from calm that morning, complete shambles. I've heard similar stories about Student finance to be fair.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
On BBC this morning. Does anyone ever get anything than an A or an A Star nowadays ? Every single time I watch these live results everyone has at least an A. If everyone gets an A does this not demean the value of this result. If you apply for a job and all your competitors have A grades as well what is the point ?

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
On BBC this morning. Does anyone ever get anything than an A or an A Star nowadays ? Every single time I watch these live results everyone has at least an A. If everyone gets an A does this not demean the value of this result. If you apply for a job and all your competitors have A grades as well what is the point ?

Last year one in four people got at least one A or A*. I think partly is the increase in fake courses (alright, the term 'fake' isn't politically correct, but I think you know what I mean) but also to get in to the top uni's those are expected and the norm. The majority of people who come out with A's at A level will go to uni; whereby your degree will differentiate you from other people with similar A levels. A levels is more a stepping stone to the next thing, a bit like GCSE's were just a stepping stone to get in to college.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Whether they're easier or not good luck to everyone getting their results tomorrow. People work bloody hard for these exams and if they fail they get told they're thick as shit and if they pass they get told it's piss easy anyway, they really can't win.
Sounds about right, my eldest is starting secondary this september and i'll be nervous as you like when he and my youngest take their exams, i havent a clue whether exams are easier or not, but i do reckon that most of these kids work bloody hard for them and the last thing they need is to be told that they are "easier than in my day " by some crusty old fart whose never satisfied with anything, if they arent preparing kids for university or the workplace, then address the problem , dont simply piss on some kids parade.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

BBC/The Media has created a situation that anybody who gets below an A feels like a failure because that is what BBC/Media is in effect telling them - piss off the camera you got a B not interested thank you

Southwick_Seagull

Oct 8, 2008
Sounds about right, my eldest is starting secondary this september and i'll be nervous as you like when he and my youngest take their exams, i havent a clue whether exams are easier or not, but i do reckon that most of these kids work bloody hard for them and the last thing they need is to be told that they are "easier than in my day " by some crusty old fart whose never satisfied with anything, if they arent preparing kids for university or the workplace, then address the problem , dont simply piss on some kids parade.

Couldn't agree more.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Exactly, you can only take the exams that are put in front of you. I worked my arse off when I did my A-Levels (10 years ago) and I'm pretty sure kids still do today.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here