A lack of ambition & using the FFP as an excuse.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

byf1

Mar 22, 2012
I think you are being too kind, the word should be everybody.

And that matters if everyone disagrees does it?

It's been said 1001 times, this is a message board to post opinions, this isn't a social get together or a popularity contest.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

It's been said 1001 times, this is a message board to post opinions, this isn't a social get together or a popularity contest.

Opinions are shared to help everyone understand more, and be openly swayed to a different view with friendly arguments provided.

You are firm in your belief that Bloom is lacking ambition & using the FFP as an excuse and you will not move on that.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
We watched the transfer window come and go with no real movement but thankfully of course we didn't lose anyone, we tightened the ship for a season of consolidation, but is that enough? Tony Bloom when asked during the fans forum was quoted as saying that top 6 is a realistic and achievable target, not if we don't back the manager in the window it isn't Tony.

We get 26k plus through the door, came so close last season and within 90 mins of Wembley and for me are just missing those special two players now, that attacking midfielder/winger who can unlock defences and also that elusive striker which we most desperately need due to CMS not being back to his best until new year & a decidedly average Ashley Barnes. It's gutted to see that Garcia feels the team is good enough in the striking department, one injury to the big man and we are literally screwed, that doesn't equal that were in a good enough position striking wise and also puts too much pressure on Ulloa.

Our promotion rivals are bringing in players, spending money and attempting to get out of this division, we're sitting still, bedding in and consolidating and after last season its disappointing to say the least. Yes we have a new manager, yes it's a tough league but at least go for it, at least show some form of intent to get out of this division.

Are we that poor we cant stretch the budget for 3 months in the loan window and therefore have to bring in a striker called Obika who has never scored a decent amount of goals? It's like employing someone at a company who you know isn't that good at the job he's supposed to do, you wouldn't do it!

This FFP is all well timed as well as for me they know that the sanctions for breaking the FFP rules are not going to be bad, which is why a lot of championship clubs are breaking them. A small fine is not going to scare teams, if they had threatened non-promotion then it would be taken seriously.

I would rather be a well run club that does not over stretch. financial fair play is not just about avoiding sanctions. It is about running the club properly and avoiding over spending and putting the club in danger. Like we, Leeds, Palace, Pompey etc etc have done before.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Agree but do people not expect more quality to be brought in or are we happy to not achieve and accept realities and become a derby county

Pray tell me who will actually pay for the "ambition" you demand? We're already making hefty losses (thankfully now being reduced). Luckily we have an amazingly generous owner who is prepared to fund a £100m stadium and £15m training complex. He's just decided that he doesn't want to fund £8m+ of losses every year. Is that a lack of ambition?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

NSC is indeed open to a wide range of opinions, and if they are from the deluded then they get mocked.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Pray tell me who will actually pay for the "ambition" you demand? We're already making hefty losses (thankfully now being reduced). Luckily we have an amazingly generous owner who is prepared to fund a £100m stadium and £15m training complex. He's just decided that he doesn't want to fund £8m+ of losses every year. Is that a lack of ambition?

Afraid it's someone who spends a relatively small amount accusing someone who has put an unbelievable amount of his personal wealth in to the club of being unambitious. Truly unbelievable and inaccurate. Just a bore really

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
I would argue that there are more teams capable of being in the top six this season. Therefore harder for us even though I agree the squad is comparable.

Sure it might be harder but then again every year people say that 'the league is harder this season'. O.K, Q.P.R have the potential to run away with it and the two other relegated teams will probably not be as basket case mental as Blackburn and Wolves, but the league, IMO, isn't so strong that the team that finished top of the form table(and 4th overall) for the second half of last season is going to be nowhere near the play offs. I'm confident the team and squad is good enough to maintain a challenge for the top six.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
It's now Thursday and no sign of a loan striker. Looks like we won't have any attacking back up again on Sunday. I'm not surprised but I am disappointed.

Codner's Wallop

Sep 11, 2013
This widespread belief from certain fans that our '26,000 through the door' should ensure we win the league/promotion is tiresome and misguided.
Of course, a steady flow of gate income should help our great club develop over time, but to suggest the biggest gates should GUARANTEE success, is ignoring the many other factors that influence a club's success. Based on last season's gates here are last season's top six finishers:
Seagulls
Sheffield Wed
Derby
Forest
Cardiff
Leicester
I also have to contest the statement: 'clubs know sanctions for breaking FFP rules are not going to be bad'. Really? Does anyone really know how severely/weakly FFP cheats will be dealt with? Good on Burke, Barber, Bloom for playing by the rules. It's my understanding Forest are manipulating the rules by accepting a huge sponsorship deal from one of their backers. Sponsorship cash and stadium naming rights etc are NOT included in the FFP budgets....Even if we decided to bend the rules, do we wish to jeopardise the future of our club by fanning the chequebook at the glut of overpaid, over-rated show ponies looking for their next windfall?
OG is right to take his time and right to bring on the youngsters. Keep the faith.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
So the main thrust of the argument seems to be 'I've decided other clubs might not adhere to FFP, so why should we?'

So, if at first you don't succeed, cheat.

Yup, that's it. We may not have the funds to cheat with at the moment, but if all the other clubs do cheat, the promoted ones will be giving us lots of free cash, so then we can cheat too.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I don't get it, we have brought in Adgustien, Andrews and Ward who all look good. We have brought through Ince and Forster-caskey who are also good/promising and we have Bridcutt coming back, so how is the midfield weaker? I know we need someone who can create chances from the midfield but hopefully Bridcutt/Forster-Caskey will do this.

As for the striker, we have Ulloa with Barnes and CMS back shortly. One more is a nice to have but not essential. :shrug:

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Yes! The light! I've seen the way forward, abandon the Albion, everyone support Chelsea, they spent loads on players. And we don't even have to get a season ticket just get sky instead.

Douche.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

now this is a genuine question
the Albion have one of if not the highest crowd attendance and fan base in the championship and is one of if not the most expensive to watch.
where does all the money go????

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
This widespread belief from certain fans that our '26,000 through the door' should ensure we win the league/promotion is tiresome and misguided.
Of course, a steady flow of gate income should help our great club develop over time, but to suggest the biggest gates should GUARANTEE success, is ignoring the many other factors that influence a club's success. Based on last season's gates here are last season's top six finishers:
Seagulls
Sheffield Wed
Derby
Forest
Cardiff
Leicester
I also have to contest the statement: 'clubs know sanctions for breaking FFP rules are not going to be bad'. Really? Does anyone really know how severely/weakly FFP cheats will be dealt with? Good on Burke, Barber, Bloom for playing by the rules. It's my understanding Forest are manipulating the rules by accepting a huge sponsorship deal from one of their backers. Sponsorship cash and stadium naming rights etc are NOT included in the FFP budgets....Even if we decided to bend the rules, do we wish to jeopardise the future of our club by fanning the chequebook at the glut of overpaid, over-rated show ponies looking for their next windfall?
OG is right to take his time and right to bring on the youngsters. Keep the faith.

Stick around.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
now this is a genuine question
the Albion have one of if not the highest crowd attendance and fan base in the championship and is one of if not the most expensive to watch.
where does all the money go????

simple, we have an absolutely ridiculous amount of staff half of whom
I'm sure we could do without.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports