Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good read by a Cardiff fan.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What about the number of Arsenal and Chelsea fans that stopped going to London and started coming to watch the Seagulls after the Amex opened? I believe this disproves the theory that it is all about winning.

I think Cardiff is an extreme example of how a club can sell it's soul to the devil, but there's a lot in that blog that almost any football fan will identify with.

I think that the Albion has a good recent track record of engaging with their fans.

I believe the issue of safe standing will give clubs an opportunity to re-engage with their fans and reverse the trend of corporatisation of football. I would hope that, in time, the Albion re-introduce a standing area, although I can see this might be a slow burner.
For some all over the planet, it's not all about winning, our team goes far beyond that, and cuts deep into us.

But it seems to me that Cardiff want it both ways, and it's that hypocrisy that I'm rallying against.

Last season I was anticipating their ground to be a cauldron of noise and protest.
At best it was apathy in a sea of red, surrounded by Malaysian flags, 10 v 2 Welsh ones.
There was a minor grumble at the final whistle, probably because we won.

There was a definite acceptance from the near full house, and they seemed happy enough with the price they had paid.

As said I see no reason why that would be different now, if Cardiff were 'doing a Southampton'.

As for Arsenal, if they charge over £1,000 for a season ticket, they'll be plenty of disgruntled fans.
Chances are I will be one if the Albion were to get promoted and the club can afford to lose me knowing there will be plenty of others to take my place.

Northstandite

Jun 6, 2011
I think football will eventually move the other way somewhat (without the hooliganism), and 'safe standing' will be one of the changes. In addition I suspect the exponential growth in ticket prices will tail off, with many clubs offering cheaper deals to encourage younger and less affluent fans - the PL clubs can now afford this with TV and commercial income dwarfing gate income. Some PL clubs are addressing this already.

(Apart from the rip-off of Arsenal and Chelsea, who have in essence changed their attending fan-base over the last 15 years, forcing out working class poorer fans, who with London's wealth will continue to exploit their location).

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here