Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good rant from a Millwall supporter

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Maybe but a promotion and change in manager will improve things.

Have to say including only one of the crowds in the Championship reached 20k and that was at Derby.

Fans cannot be bothered to pay high prices for sub-standard football?

Sign of the times?

Found this from a Millwall fan on another site..

Who has just lost complete and utter interest in general?

I touched on this last night posting coming away from the ground, I went straight to sleep thinking maybe I'll think different in the morning but in all honesty I knew I wouldn't.

I have ate, slept and shit football for as long as I can remember. I am 28 and caught the tail end of the terraces but was too young to appreciate it all. I went to my first game, a 1-0 home defeat to Newcastle (nothing changes) in 90/91 and from that day on I was hooked. I was like any other kid collecting stickers and football cards, having rows in school with West H*m and Tottenham kids, bunking school to go away games, scoring goals in the park and making out I was Jon Goodman or Alex Rae or anyone else at the time who I idolised.

I never missed The Big Match, Match Of The Day ****ing hell I even watched Gazzetta Italiana on Channel 4 just to watch Gazza. I think I went three full seasons without missing a game home and away and over the course of about 12 years missed about 2 home games. I knew the ins and outs of every side, who had signed who, who was linked with who. I didn't know Cardiff had signed half the players that were playing last night.

Fast forward to today and I can honestly say I am at a loss with it all. This isn't a knee jerk because we lost last night, infact it's not even about Millwall it's about football in general. I went last night and after 15 minutes genuinely felt bit bored and was checking my phone to see how my bets were doing. It's been happening for the past couple of seasons but this season I feel at my lowest ebb football wise. I think having a child has definitely changed my outlook and knowing I see her weekends as split with the mother has meant I have put Millwall/football down the pecking order and rightly so, I didn't think I'd feel like this about it all though.

I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription in the summer to save some dough and I haven't bothered to re-apply it. I have not seen one single minute of Match Of The Day this season and I've seen about 10 mins worth of the Football League Show. I was over my mum and dads for dinner on Sunday and they had Reading and Tottenham on. Whereas I'd usually enjoy watching a game of football whoever it may be (foreign aside - once Gazza had left Lazio) I found myself bored shitless getting the hump with everything. None more so than when Reading were on ascendancy despite being 1-0 down, Danny Guthrie gets a little tap in the face and he goes down cluthcing face for 25 seconds. His team-mate kicks ball out and Guthrie gets up and is fine, the build up has been lost and Tottenham make it 2 and then 3-0 within space of 5 mins of that happening. That's what football has become. A man's game played by absolute play acting **** who care more about the image of their barnet.

The influx of foreign players has brought a mentality that some of our own players have bought into. Cheating, diving, play acting. I can't stand it. The game has changed from a tough physical game to a game now where you have to be scared to make a tackle cause you can easily be shown a straight red card. The amount of money ploughed into the game has taken the game away from the working man, all everyone is concerned about is money. Even supporters have bought into this mentality aswell. Fans of shit Premier League teams and even Championship teams often say "League Cup is a shit micky mouse trophy anyway with no money incentive". No money incentive? Why the **** should we as fans care about that? If Millwall lifted the League Cup at Wembley and earned another European adventure I'd remember that for the rest of my life. I won't remember finishing 17th in the Premier League/Championship every season and just "surviving".

It was only 24 years ago that Millwall won promotion to the Top Flight for the first time and was involved in a title race right the way into the second half of the season - whatever happened to football? Stadiums with real soul about them, real identity. Some of them shit heaps but they had more character about them then every single souless boring bowl like arenas that are popping up everywhere.

Leicester, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz change colour of seats and it's the same stadium. Atmospheres at an all time worse. Every team singing the same shit songs, everyone wearing a replica shirt, balloons, bouncing up and down like Polish supporters, no edge to games, nothing to get the hairs standing up anymore. ****ing hell even the commentators aren't the same anymore, for me Brian Moore was the greatest there has been.

I know things have to change and I know things have to naturally progress, but this ain't the football I loved when I was a kid. I often look around on tv listings to see if ITV are showing the Big Match revisited. Real football. Shit strips, dodgy pitches, players giving it absolutely everything blood and guts, terrace surges back and forth - where has it all gone wrong?

You look at attendances from last night in our Division. Derby (20,000) and Leeds (19,000) aside;

Blackburn; 12,772
Birmingham; 14,693
Watford; 11,894
Blackpool; 12,746
Crystal Palace; 13,153

It's not just Millwall struggling to get people in, much bigger clubs aren't getting many more than ourselves. The bottom HAS to drop out of football, and when it does we'll be the ones picking up the pieces.

This is a rant and a half and I'd be surprised if you're still reading, I had to get if off my chest.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Have to say including only one of the crowds in the Championship reached 20k and that was at Derby.

Sign of the times?

I touched on this last night posting coming away from the ground, I went straight to sleep thinking maybe I'll think different in the morning but in all honesty I knew I wouldn't.

I have ate, slept and shit football for as long as I can remember. I am 28 and caught the tail end of the terraces but was too young to appreciate it all. I went to my first game, a 1-0 home defeat to Newcastle (nothing changes) in 90/91 and from that day on I was hooked. I was like any other kid collecting stickers and football cards, having rows in school with West H*m and Tottenham kids, bunking school to go away games, scoring goals in the park and making out I was Jon Goodman or Alex Rae or anyone else at the time who I idolised.

I never missed The Big Match, Match Of The Day ****ing hell I even watched Gazzetta Italiana on Channel 4 just to watch Gazza. I think I went three full seasons without missing a game home and away and over the course of about 12 years missed about 2 home games. I knew the ins and outs of every side, who had signed who, who was linked with who. I didn't know Cardiff had signed half the players that were playing last night.

Fast forward to today and I can honestly say I am at a loss with it all. This isn't a knee jerk because we lost last night, infact it's not even about Millwall it's about football in general. I went last night and after 15 minutes genuinely felt bit bored and was checking my phone to see how my bets were doing. It's been happening for the past couple of seasons but this season I feel at my lowest ebb football wise. I think having a child has definitely changed my outlook and knowing I see her weekends as split with the mother has meant I have put Millwall/football down the pecking order and rightly so, I didn't think I'd feel like this about it all though.

I cancelled my Sky Sports subscription in the summer to save some dough and I haven't bothered to re-apply it. I have not seen one single minute of Match Of The Day this season and I've seen about 10 mins worth of the Football League Show. I was over my mum and dads for dinner on Sunday and they had Reading and Tottenham on. Whereas I'd usually enjoy watching a game of football whoever it may be (foreign aside - once Gazza had left Lazio) I found myself bored shitless getting the hump with everything. None more so than when Reading were on ascendancy despite being 1-0 down, Danny Guthrie gets a little tap in the face and he goes down cluthcing face for 25 seconds. His team-mate kicks ball out and Guthrie gets up and is fine, the build up has been lost and Tottenham make it 2 and then 3-0 within space of 5 mins of that happening. That's what football has become. A man's game played by absolute play acting **** who care more about the image of their barnet.

The influx of foreign players has brought a mentality that some of our own players have bought into. Cheating, diving, play acting. I can't stand it. The game has changed from a tough physical game to a game now where you have to be scared to make a tackle cause you can easily be shown a straight red card. The amount of money ploughed into the game has taken the game away from the working man, all everyone is concerned about is money. Even supporters have bought into this mentality aswell. Fans of shit Premier League teams and even Championship teams often say "League Cup is a shit micky mouse trophy anyway with no money incentive". No money incentive? Why the **** should we as fans care about that? If Millwall lifted the League Cup at Wembley and earned another European adventure I'd remember that for the rest of my life. I won't remember finishing 17th in the Premier League/Championship every season and just "surviving".

It was only 24 years ago that Millwall won promotion to the Top Flight for the first time and was involved in a title race right the way into the second half of the season - whatever happened to football? Stadiums with real soul about them, real identity. Some of them shit heaps but they had more character about them then every single souless boring bowl like arenas that are popping up everywhere.

Leicester, Hull, Swansea, Cardiff zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz change colour of seats and it's the same stadium. Atmospheres at an all time worse. Every team singing the same shit songs, everyone wearing a replica shirt, balloons, bouncing up and down like Polish supporters, no edge to games, nothing to get the hairs standing up anymore. ****ing hell even the commentators aren't the same anymore, for me Brian Moore was the greatest there has been.

I know things have to change and I know things have to naturally progress, but this ain't the football I loved when I was a kid. I often look around on tv listings to see if ITV are showing the Big Match revisited. Real football. Shit strips, dodgy pitches, players giving it absolutely everything blood and guts, terrace surges back and forth - where has it all gone wrong?

You look at attendances from last night in our Division. Derby (20,000) and Leeds (19,000) aside;

Blackburn; 12,772
Birmingham; 14,693
Watford; 11,894
Blackpool; 12,746
Crystal Palace; 13,153

It's not just Millwall struggling to get people in, much bigger clubs aren't getting many more than ourselves. The bottom HAS to drop out of football, and when it does we'll be the ones picking up the pieces.

This is a rant and a half and I'd be surprised if you're still reading, I had to get if off my chest.

Load of hot air.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Do you know what, I felt much the same when MA was here for his second spell, totally and utterly lost interest and often wondered wtf I was doing at a game 10 mins in. I still don't have very much interest in the Premier League, although that may change next season :smile:

The next time Millwall have a half decent side I feel that he may rethink his attitude to the game.

Following the Albion has changed so much in the last three years and maybe the fact that we are succesful now has blurred this fact a little. We are not the "little" family club where your recognise just about every fan you see at games. How I cope with that when we are shit again remains to be see :shrug:

Last edited:

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing

Sign of the times?

Blackburn; 12,772
Birmingham; 14,693
Watford; 11,894
Blackpool; 12,746
Crystal Palace; 13,153

Not often I agree with a Millwall fan, but he's near enough spot on. "Top level" football bores the crap out of me, I have no time whatsoever for international football either. I love the Albion, and I enjoy the games, but in honesty, I kind of dread us ever getting promoted, because we'll end up getting sucked into the corporate bubble that Premier League football has become. It's all about the money and less about the game now, and it bores me rigid. I do enjoy going to the non-league games when Brighton aren't playing, or away, because it's so REAL. You can get close to the team, have a beer while watching the game, and, if you think the team played shit - you can tell them!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Do you know what, I felt much the same when MA was here for his second spell, totally and utterly lost interest and often wondered wtf I was doing at a game 10 mins in. I still don't have very much interest in the Premier League, although that may change next season :smile:

The next time Millwall have a half decent side I think he may rethink.

Agreed

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Agree with the overpaid players bit and the demotion of the old league cup ... that would never have happened when we played Forest all them years ago

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
He's right about a lot of things.
When it comes to the Albion though, these are exciting times & I love the Amex.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Load of hot air.

This. He is a whinging twat because his team is shit.
Disillusioned with the premier league ? Well don't watch Match of the Day then, because that is the only way he is affected by it. It is not as if Millwall are going there any time this millennium. I hear these rants from time to time and they are in the main as Hansy put it, just a lot of hot air.

Last edited:

NickBHAFC18

Feb 24, 2012
Brighton
He's right about a lot of things.
When it comes to the Albion though, these are exciting times & I love the Amex.

I was going to say exactly the same. He is spot on with what he is saying with regards to the money in the game, influence of foreign players, cheating etc. But for us Albion fans, it's only just beginning :wink:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Agree with the overpaid players bit and the demotion of the old league cup ... that would never have happened when we played Forest all them years ago

That has come about because of the promotion of the Premier League. Something has to give.

There are phases in your life where a lot of people go through this. Priorities change and other things take precedence. I lost my football "mojo" when I moved away from the area and although I still followed the Albion, attending games was spasmodic even when they were playing in Gillingham which is just a few miles from me. My attendance at Withdean was now and again and I went to more away games than home because I hated the place so much. But them something exceptional happened in terms of the AMEX, the team, the manager etc and all my enthusiasm has been re-activated even to the point of wasting too much time posting on here.

The guy is 28 and I bet at some point in the future his interest will be re-awakened through one of his kids or through some other catalyst. On the other hand he does support Millwall so you never can tell.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The only thing I agree with is the diving/play acting bit. That stuff should be hammered out of the game.

Apart from that he sounds like a kid throwing a tantrum.

Don't like new, comfortable, safe stadiums? Fine. Go and sit in a sheet metal tin can freezing your knackers off.
Don't like MOTD? Don't watch it.

chinners

Aug 27, 2009
Brighton
i love football as much as i did when i was 15 maybe im 1 of a few it even betta when your own team is playing great football

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think that guy has hit the nail on the barnet in so many ways. I think what he needs is a good relegation and a season in League 1 where his team are actually trying to compete. No offence to Millwall, but it's so unlikely they'll ever get a real chance at promotion to the Premier League because financially they'd have to gamble massively to fund it. When you look at the teams who come down and don't go back up, most of them are extremely strong in the few years after relegation. Obviously there are some examples, but you look at Blackpool for example who for me aren't dissimilar to Millwall. Except they got themselves into the Premier League and were genius when they made it, so they've banked the cash and now they're very strong at this level.

Millwall have almost nothing to play for, and that must only be tedious. Maybe when we're established in the Premier League but standing still, we can empathise a lot more.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Totally agree with him on Brian Moore

It's the pundits that piss me off,cherry pick incidents,like they never made a mistake

I think football is in good nick,wouldn't batter an eyelid taking my son to a game now,late 70's early 80's,no chance!

As for the actual football,the worst thing is the players cheating and feigning injury,but that's never gonna change now,we're just have to get used to it

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
[MENTION=4317]algie[/MENTION] your opening paragraph is a key point in this.

Millwall will never be anything but a championship/league 1 team and I don't mean that disrespectfully.

I remember when the New Den opened and how jealous I was that their stadium looked so smart and spangly.

Fast forward to now and it looks just like another Kwik Fit stadium.

We're now going thru what Millwall had 20 years ago and it'll be interesting to wind forward another 20 years to see how many fans are still packing the Amex or whatever it's called then.

We really need to emulate the likes of Sunderland or West Ham and not Millwall, Pompey or Watford.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I was expecting him to say at the end that he now follows Brighton and Hove Albion and has fallen back in love with the game !

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
If Millwall was top of the league, he would feel different...trust me.

Jan 30, 2008
If Millwall was top of the league, he would feel different...trust me.
i think he's spot on , the premiership is a load of bollocks so is the TV punditry ,i'll get shot down for that because that appears to be where we're heading but that don't change a thing in my book .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here