Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A good rant from a Millwall supporter

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Yes I don't think the atmosphere at a packed Goldstone will ever be matched at the Amex. Its almost too nice and sterile, plus the fact there were far more songs sung at the Goldstone. Its a great stadium nonetheless.

Very occasionally a part of the ground other than the north stand would join in but it was very very rare. Too many rose tinted specs being worn here. Give me the Amex any day over the Goldstone.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
"modern football is rubbish"
"money is rubbish"
"players get paid too much"

blah f***ing blah

He's 28? He sounds like some miserable old twat moaning about everything being different and how much better it used to be.

Things change. Get over it.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Come this January I will be in my 54th season of watching Brighton,I love the club and used to spend hours over the league tables...goal average...who we played next and watched as much football as I could...suddenly last season I started to lose my mojo for International/Premiership football....don't watch MOTD anymore but like the Football League Show.
Rose coloured specs on, some of the tackles in the 50/60s were horrific but what made it different from today was that the player hurt got up as soon as he could without all the dramatics you get nowadays. Was at Spurs ground Spurs v Man U in the euro cup,I was the otherside of the ground when we all heard Dave Mackays leg snap...even then he tried to stand up,none of this rolling around...nowadays you know if a player is really hurt....he does'nt move...how many times have you seen a player 'shot' roll around then when the ref has given them a free kick/penalty suddenly spring into life...if I want to watch amateur dramatics I go to the theatre. Must admit the price of going is now too high for a lot of fans...apart from health and finance issues I have given up going away...unless it is on Boxing Day.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
Blah blah blah my club has become shite now so I'll moan about how shit modern football is and about how much better it was back in the time my club was decent...hot air...we hear this rant every 5 mins and although they are right about some things, they fail to see how much better modern football is in so many areas. The quality of football in general is better, there is less disgusting violence, racism and general abuse (although if you support millwall you probably love all that stuff), stadiums are SO much better it does not make you a 'plastic' to want to watch a game in a NICE surrounding. Football has become a move universal game - matches can now be attended by almost everyone without fear of violence, abuse or discomfort.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Blah blah blah my club has become shite now so I'll moan about how shit modern football is and about how much better it was back in the time my club was decent...hot air...we hear this rant every 5 mins and although they are right about some things, they fail to see how much better modern football is in so many areas. The quality of football in general is better, there is less disgusting violence, racism and general abuse (although if you support millwall you probably love all that stuff), stadiums are SO much better it does not make you a 'plastic' to want to watch a game in a NICE surrounding. Football has become a move universal game - matches can now be attended by almost everyone without fear of violence, abuse or discomfort.

Good post.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I agree with this in the most part. The original post is a tiresome rant and it makes me chuckle that he quotes these low gates. They might be low by today's standards but compared to the era he's obviously harking back to, they are still absolutely enormous. It makes me think he doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. People are often quick to whine at the sanitisation of football, yet sanitisation is clearly exactly what was needed because people DIED at the football in the 80s, and for several well documented reasons.

No-one wants a stadium full of corporate prawn sandwich eaters, but I'll happily pay more than five quid to get in if I feel safe taking my boy, I can take a piss in a proper toilet just off the concourse, the concessions are all top quality and the players take fitness seriously and are fitter than I was at my peak (don't smoke, don't drink 4 days a week etc - it's called COMMITTMENT and is why you're paid handsomely) and so on.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Sanitised and souless. The two most overused and wholly inaccurate words used to describe modern football grounds. You know the ones........ Where you can take the youngsters, the new generation without fearing for their safety and general well being. The sort of grounds where Crystal Palace and Pompey fans take the piss out of..... Nuff said.

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
Ok the article maybe a little over the top due to how shit his team are... However the cost of football is too much, players are paid way too much, and the passion just isn't there. These things won't change. I love football, always have but after the olympics i wasn;t even bothered about the football season starting. I use to count the days to the season start after it ended. I think a lot of it is down the how different these overpaid, footballers are compared to the average fan.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
A lot of what he says is spot on, even if it's somewhat affected by the fact Millwall are struggling.

I've watched one episode of MOTD this season and the hysterics of the players, the cheating, diving, whining, bitching, moaning at the ref, it pissed me off no end, and that's before it cut back to the studio for 'expert' analysis. During the international break I paid so little attention I genuinely didn't realise England were even playing; stupid, probably - for some reason I just didn't connect the two, I can only put it down to not giving a shit about whether a bunch of dicks I mostly dislike narrowly sneak a 2-0 win past some Andorran postmen. The break was just time I wasn't at the Albion, couldn't wait to get back, so it's not football per se, it's just the rot at the top level of the game. Agree with a lot of people on here, I'm completely torn over our current position - loving the success, the football, the atmosphere, the stadium, the positivity; and genuinely want to see us taking on top sides and winning, so I can stick it to my Man U/Chelsea supporting mates. But I also hate the idea that I'll be paying £600+ for a season ticket, probably £50-£70 for an away ticket plus the same again in train fares or petrol, to see us more than likely get our arses handed to us by hateable little scrotes like Luis Suarez, all the time my hard-earned, barely-enough-to-live-on-as-it-is wage gets pumped into a game that justifies paying the likes of Mark McCammon £2.5k a week in League 1 at f***ing GILLINGHAM, let alone the top clubs shelling out more to one player in a week than I earn in a decade. A DECADE. If I wasn't loving being an Albion fan as much as I am right now, I would probably have lost interest in the game some time ago.

Best post in a long,long time - currently where I am footballing wise I think.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
i think he's spot on , the premiership is a load of bollocks so is the TV punditry ,i'll get shot down for that because that appears to be where we're heading but that don't change a thing in my book .

Uh-oh, it's one of those I agree with Das days!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Too much greed at the top with the intention of keeping it a big boys syndicate for the top 12 Premier League teams.

Bruntburger

Mar 9, 2009
Peacehaven
Sanitised and souless. The two most overused and wholly inaccurate words used to describe modern football grounds. You know the ones........ Where you can take the youngsters, the new generation without fearing for their safety and general well being. The sort of grounds where Crystal Palace and Pompey fans take the piss out of..... Nuff said.

My dad took me to the football as a kid in the 80's and I never felt unsafe?

Have you convinced yourself that people were being killed or injured at every game with terracing??

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
My dad took me to the football as a kid in the 80's and I never felt unsafe?

Have you convinced yourself that people were being killed or injured at every game with terracing??

indeed. all this its much better now now none of the constant racism violence or people dying every week like in the 80s mantra, is just as hackneyed as people moaning that footballs boring and square now.

elements of truth in both, but to listen to people you would think that evey game in the 80s was like some sort of mad cross between a nuremburg rally and the black hole of calcutta. where in truth most games passed without incident the same as today.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Agree with Spanish ... like most walks of life if you go looking for trouble you will probably find it, never really had any issues in the 80's just learned to stay away from the people you knew would start anything.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here