Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] A giant flag for the North (and other stands)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Blimey - you can over-think some things. Someone getting on and doing something .. design, like kit will always be debatable, but ultimately someone is doing it.. thumbs up..

£1600 is a lot of money for something that might be completely useless in 12 months. I hope it is a lot longer but you can never tell.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm not really sharing the opprobrium about this flag.

Who are we (you) to be telling these people their flag is 'wrong'?

Its being crowdfunded, with a clear image of the intended flag design. If enough people want this flag made, to stump up the cash to make it - that's what they've chosen to do with THEIR cash.

Other people could always spend their own money on another 'better' flag. :shrug:

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
A rough guess tells me a 12m x 9 m flag will cover 25 seats wide, and 11 rows back, approx 265 seats.
Can't remember how many rows North has, although I believe it's 26

I'd say that's not big enough then. Needs to be three quarters of depth of the North Stand to have any real impact. So too small and stupid design. Bet it turns up with up with a spelling mistake next :)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Blimey - you can over-think some things. Someone getting on and doing something .. design, like kit will always be debatable, but ultimately someone is doing it.. thumbs up..

Look - I completely agree with that.

My comment about longevity is intended to be entirely constructive, and not dismissive of those who are putting the effort in to make a positive change on behalf of us all.

ps) does anyone know how deep the North Stand is? Is the flag big enough? 12m x 9m. Is 9m at least half of the depth of the North Stand?

I don't have any measurements, but would suggest it is smaller than half the stand. The seats/steps must be spaced out around 800mm or so, so a 9m high flag would be around 11-12 rows of seats at best, probably a bit less allowing for some sagging of the fabric when being held aloft.

Similarly if each seat is around 500mm wide, the flag will around 24 seats wide.

North stand seating plan looks to have 25 rows, so I reckon it would be roughly this size:

Screenshot 2022-09-30 at 16.16.26.png

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Its being crowdfunded, with a clear image of the intended flag design. If enough people want this flag made, to stump up the cash to make it - that's what they've chosen to do with THEIR cash.

Other people could always spend their own money on another 'better' flag. :shrug:

Well, yes, you have a fair point, and these guys have got off their arses to do this. But it doesn't bode very well that their communication on this has been poor and we have ended up with a flag that the general view on here and on twitter is not very good.

Personally I'd willingly stump up £500 towards a £5,000 flag that is a proper giant one of the generic design shown above rather than this Italian job.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
When's the training session for the NS to ensure they can correctly pass the flag across the stand rather than it blowing away in the wind.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Thats really good. I'd be tempted to shift the badge slightly to have STAND OR FALL either immediately above or below it, but other than that, good work.
A pity its too late and we're stuck with an Italian flag. Oh well.

Not sure I like the flag idea at all, but it would be something like this but with “ The Useful Men “ on it. Obviously.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I suppose it might keep the rain off a few, or you could wrap it around some people to keep warm.

It still looks like a great big pile of :shit:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I make it 8 different nationalities played against Leicester. If the North is having an Italian flag we could cover the rest by using west and east lower and upper to display big flags too, using the halfway line as a natural divide to get two national flags per level. I'm west upper to the right of halfway if I can get an early baggsy in for Argentina.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton

I’m sure quite a lot of people chipped in for the Ipswich banner too….

No but in all seriousness. They absolutely can do whatever they like. But it is rubbish.

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I’m sure quite a lot of people chipped in for the Ipswich banner too….

No but in all seriousness. They absolutely can do whatever they like. But it is rubbish.

And the first game it'll be ready for stands a good chance of being Chelsea which will look so enormously petty that the collective cringe of the 28,000 Brighton fans in the stadium who haven't contributed to the crowdfunder or voted in favour of the flag stands a significant risk of creating a vortex in the time-space continuum so powerful I dread to think what the consequences might be. And then we'll have YEARS of being known as the club that booed Potter then lauded his successor with more enthusiasm before anything had been achieved. I can feel the cringe coming on now.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

Indeed, it was always about welcoming the new manager never about a general club flag.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not keen either, I understand we want to welcome the new manager but this gives the new flag a limited life span. If he guides us to a major trophy then by all means immortalise him in a flag celebrating that victory but he's done nothing yet.

The flag should just depict either a part of the clubs history/legacy (a huge one of Calde's sexy face would be a winner) or just the club/area itself.

Not saying this how it needs to be done in England just because it is how it is elsewhere but the way tifo groups go about it in Germany, Poland, Sweden etc. is that you before pretty much any "big" game have a fundraiser, collect anywhere between £2000-£20 000 from fans and then you use the flag for just one game. So limited timespan doesn't need to be a bad thing - it sort of shows dedication not to drag the same old flag up every game.

But if you necessarily want a flag to be shown every game, then it should be about the club or some old legend or something. Not a new manager.

Great idea to do a flag though, very good initiative... but the reference to "The Italian Job" is.... a little cheap. The flag is a also a little... ugly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here