Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A footballing disgrace at Plymouth?

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
In this case, the goalie had NOTHING to gain by feigning an injury. No-one in his right mind could come up with a situation where he gains advantage by stopping play when he's got possession of the ball. Nor did he have anything to gain by throwing the ball out for a Scunthorpe throw level with the 18 yard box. You simply don't do that unless you are genuinely injured. This is a matter of sportsmanship, which it seems some people think doesn't have to exist any more.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I've just been watching the highlights of the Plymouth vs Scunthorpe game. What a disgrace! Or maybe the "play to the whistle" crowd might disagree.

The Argyle goalie made a simple catch of a harmless cross. After he caught it, all the players turned away to head back up the field, attack over. But the goalie, Macey, signalled to the ref that he was injured and put the ball down on the six yard line. The game wasn't stopped, however, so Macey instead tried to throw the ball out for a Scunthorpe throw, as he couldn't kick, so he could get treatment. But Morris of Scunthorpe had other ideas and stopped the ball just before it crossed the touchline and shot it back over the keeper and into the net to make it 2-2. The goalie couldn't continue and had to be substituted.

I know that there was a lot at stake, but if I was a Scunthorpe fan I'd be feeling sick over that behaviour. Not sporting at all. But Plymouth had the last laugh by getting a third - until they found out their 3-2 win wasn't enough as they were down on goal difference.

https://www.skysports.com/football/plymouth-vs-scunthorpe/393642

Should have thrown it out for a corner. It would have mitigated the risk.

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
I'm a tad sick of all this crap about having to put the ball out of play.

Yep couldn't agree more. It was the goalies fault, could have just hung on to the ball. Or rolled it just 6 yards out for a corner.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here