Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] A footballing disgrace at Plymouth?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Not very sporting and sad to hear that Plymouth have been relegated to league 2 but not as shocked and sad at how low Notts Country have fallen out of the EFL for the first time ever, a club that has a heritage spanning in over 150 years! I remember them beating us at Wembley to clich promotion to the top flight they played us off the park that day

A double dose of schadenfreude yesterday, County out the league and their manager at the time relegated out of the PL owing to our slightly better season. I was at that game, too, Tommy Johnson.

I hasten to add that I have no issues with County and am not gloating. Seems rather sad, but I'm sure they will bounce back. As did we.....

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So Notts Country and Notts County are Notts Landing in the same division? I hope they never clich anything in the EFL again and they get relegated to the MLS and must match up again with FC Dallas.

Christ on a bike. Did you overdo the hallucinogenic drugs last night? Your posts this morning on more than one thread are bizarre and incomprehensible :shrug:

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
As in life, and other sports, football evolves. So when there is a genuine case, as this was, there is no excuse for unsporting conduct. Even the Scunny chairman has apologised.

Just good PR isn't it.

Plus that's the point. Who actually knows when there's a real case anymore? I remember March not giving the ball back in a home game earlier this season after a player feigned injury and the applause he got was deafening. This is no different. Neither was the Leeds case last week against Villa who, incidentally, scored a few weeks back in a reverse of the situation where they didn't put the ball back. Until players stop trying to play the system, I'll have little sympathy.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Completely and utterly this. The players have brought all this crap on themselves with feigning injury to gain an advantage or stop an opposition attack. The number of times you see a player rolling around in apparent agony, then seemingly miraculously recovering when they realise no free kick was given is ridiculous.

The other day I saw a player put a sling on his arm and a plastic bandage on his finger just to get a stoppage. So disgraceful.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Just good PR isn't it.

Plus that's the point. Who actually knows when there's a real case anymore? I remember March not giving the ball back in a home game earlier this season after a player feigned injury and the applause he got was deafening. This is no different. Neither was the Leeds case last week against Villa who, incidentally, scored a few weeks back in a reverse of the situation where they didn't put the ball back. Until players stop trying to play the system, I'll have little sympathy.

And we can all be dinosaurs and harp back to when 'men were real men'... still doesn't make it right.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
And we can all be dinosaurs and harp back to when 'men were real men'... still doesn't make it right.

This isn't about men being men though. It's about players abusing the system. The ultimate decision about whether a game should stop should come down to the referee and no one else. If the referee hasn't blown, then you don't stop the game. It's really simple stuff. And as a paying customer of the product, I don't particularly want to watch players throwing the ball out of play because they're feigning injury to waste time.

If a player suffers an injury in an awful tackle or in a horrible clash of heads, then stop the game. I'm totally on board with this. But it should still be the referee that stops the game.

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This isn't about men being men though. It's about players abusing the system. The ultimate decision about whether a game should stop should come down to the referee and no one else. If the referee hasn't blown, then you don't stop the game. It's really simple stuff. And as a paying customer of the product, I don't particularly want to watch players throwing the ball out of play because they're feigning injury to waste time.

If a player suffers an injury in an awful tackle or in a horrible clash of heads, then stop the game. I'm totally on board with this. But it should still be the referee that stops the game.

I don't totally disagree with you, but when it is genuine, and generally that can be seen, then sportsmen conduct should come into play. Even the Scunny chairman apologised, is that not enough?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I don't totally disagree with you, but when it is genuine, and generally that can be seen, then sportsmen conduct should come into play. Even the Scunny chairman apologised, is that not enough?

Bielsa apologised after the Leeds v Villa game. He made his players actually stand to the side and let Villa score. Yet that blatantly wasn't serious; in fact it was the players dictating when the game should stop. This seems like exactly the same situation to me. And let's be honest, if he was that injured, he'd have just thrown the ball directly behind him and put it out for a corner. So no, I'm sorry, but I don't think it is really.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bielsa apologised after the Leeds v Villa game. He made his players actually stand to the side and let Villa score. Yet that blatantly wasn't serious; in fact it was the players dictating when the game should stop. This seems like exactly the same situation to me. And let's be honest, if he was that injured, he'd have just thrown the ball directly behind him and put it out for a corner. So no, I'm sorry, but I don't think it is really.
`
As an ex player, obviously of no standard to pro's, I could tell when someone was injured, although to be fair, in those days 'men were men' :wink: I think players can tell when someone is taking the piss or are genuinely injured, and this does look like a genuine case, does it not?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Just good PR isn't it.

This is a bit different in that it's the keeper, you can't play on when the keeper is injured really. Nor was he trying to insinuate anything about a bad tackle and so on. And he clearly threw the ball to put it out of play, and had to be taken off. The Scunthorpe player must have known what the situation was.

LVGull

May 13, 2016
I've just been watching the highlights of the Plymouth vs Scunthorpe game. What a disgrace! Or maybe the "play to the whistle" crowd might disagree.

The Argyle goalie made a simple catch of a harmless cross. After he caught it, all the players turned away to head back up the field, attack over. But the goalie, Macey, signalled to the ref that he was injured and put the ball down on the six yard line. The game wasn't stopped, however, so Macey instead tried to throw the ball out for a Scunthorpe throw, as he couldn't kick, so he could get treatment. But Morris of Scunthorpe had other ideas and stopped the ball just before it crossed the touchline and shot it back over the keeper and into the net to make it 2-2. The goalie couldn't continue and had to be substituted.

I know that there was a lot at stake, but if I was a Scunthorpe fan I'd be feeling sick over that behaviour. Not sporting at all. But Plymouth had the last laugh by getting a third - until they found out their 3-2 win wasn't enough as they were down on goal difference.

https://www.skysports.com/football/plymouth-vs-scunthorpe/393642

Just watched it. Goalies fault 100%. Made out he couldn’t walk then went protesting to the ref.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
This is a bit different in that it's the keeper, you can't play on when the keeper is injured really. Nor was he trying to insinuate anything about a bad tackle and so on. And he clearly threw the ball to put it out of play, and had to be taken off. The Scunthorpe player must have known what the situation was.

Then just throw the ball behind for a corner or call the ref over. There's absolutely no question then is there.

Waveknight

Banned
Apr 30, 2019
Not very sporting and sad to hear that Plymouth have been relegated to league 2 but not as shocked and sad at how low Notts Country have fallen out of the EFL for the first time ever, a club that has a heritage spanning in over 150 years! I remember them beating us at Wembley to clich promotion to the top flight they played us off the park that day

I was at wembley for the play off game ,how fortunes change eh ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I find nearly all his posts bizarre and incomprehensible! He has a strange sense of humour.

I though it might just be me. It sometimes is....:whistle::facepalm::lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
There was a funny story on similar lines with Leroy Fer at Norwich v Cardiff.

Cardiff gave a throw in back to Leroy after a stoppage for injured Norwich player .

Leroy shot to score from it. Chris in interview after said he just thought Leroy had over hit it passing back to the keeper to defend Leroy. Meanwhile, Leroy himself was giving an interview himself and he said he was trying to score because they don't always give the ball back in Holland. Talk about not getting stories alligned for interviews.

In Leroy's defence. The interviews were right after the match so not much time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here