Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few snippets I heard today

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
I have no idea about Barry Lloyd but the others are all true. Obviously the Poyet and Upson elements are opinions, but they are the opinions of the men in question.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Not at the mix, just passing on what I was told today. It is second hand but came from a source identified with the club.

1. Apparently Poyet was badly treated by the club over his eventual sacking.
2. When the club thought Poyet was leaving for Reading, they approached Barry Lloyd to take temporary charge, he declined due to ill health.
3. Upson was offered a deal by the club to stay but it was 'derisory'.
4. PIG wanted to stay, but was not offered any type of deal.

I wont reveal my source, so don't ask. I'm not sure I believe it all, just putting it out there.

Not discrediting you (although I may do your source), but BARRY LLOYD?! I would be shocked to the core if the club had approached him bearing in mind he left (also allegedly) for poor performance. That one point alone discredits points 1, 2 & 3.

Magic City

Mar 29, 2014
Certainly not those involved opinion, as I have no knowledge of those.

I'm not saying you do mate. Poyet has made it public knowledge that he was unhappy with how he was treated and Upson was offered a deal that was in his opinion, as well as your sources, 'derisory'.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Not discrediting you (although I may do your source), but BARRY LLOYD?! I would be shocked to the core if the club had approached him bearing in mind he left (also allegedly) for poor performance. That one point alone discredits points 1, 2 & 3.

Agree completely. Barry Lloyd! Hahaha!

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill

Don't think I said I thought any of it was true? Just passed on what I was told. Might surprise you where it came from originally though.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks for your input

No problem. You deserve all the flak you are getting.

For a start, Gus was JUSTIFIABLY sacked for gross misconduct.
The Barry Lloyd thing is laughable.
It is in the public domain that Upson was offered a contract by us. He was also offered one by Prem-bound Leicester. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he chose Leicester.
TK made it clear in the media he was getting interest from the Prem (we shall see). Quite rightly, we chose not to offer a contract to a player who wanted to leave (more info in the public domain).

To repeat, your post is nonsense.

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
No problem. You deserve all the flak you are getting.

For a start, Gus was JUSTIFIABLY sacked for gross misconduct.
The Barry Lloyd thing is laughable.
It is in the public domain that Upson was offered a contract by us. He was also offered one by Prem-bound Leicester. Perhaps unsurprisingly, he chose Leicester.
TK made it clear in the media he was getting interest from the Prem (we shall see). Quite rightly, we chose not to offer a contract to a player who wanted to leave (more info in the public domain).

To repeat, your post is nonsense.

Again, thanks for your input! W*****

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I'm not saying you do mate. Poyet has made it public knowledge that he was unhappy with how he was treated and Upson was offered a deal that was in his opinion, as well as your sources, 'derisory'.

Poyet can't be trusted.

Please show me where Upson said his offer was derisory.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Funnily enough, the only one of those I had heard first hand IS the Barry Lloyd one. This was around this time last year and was straight from the horses mouth so unless BL was spouting BS (which I don't believe he was) it is true (but irrelevant as Gus never went to Reading anyway)

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
The OP just posted a non offensive set of remarks that may or may not be based in fact,....the rest of you sanctimonious prikks are the ones making yourselves look stupid.....

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Funnily enough, the only one of those I had heard first hand IS the Barry Lloyd one. This was around this time last year and was straight from the horses mouth so unless BL was spouting BS (which I don't believe he was) it is true (but irrelevant as Gus never went to Reading anyway)

Was Barry on something!!??

Mar 9, 2011
Burgess Hill
Nice! Why do I deserve that offensive response? Is it because you have made yourself look very foolish?

Why would I look foolish? Someone told me something about the club, I passed on what they told me to an Albion message board, I made it clear that I didn't think it was all true by any means. You then write the best post possible by commenting 'Nonsense' Adds to the discussion really well, well done!

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
None of that seems credible.

First off anyone at the Club in any position of responsibility spreading that sort of information is being unprofessional and probably in breach of contract themselves, so has lost true perspective on where their loyalties lie. He/she is in the wrong job and would be advised to move on. More likely it is cheap pub talk from a more junior employee who is not acquainted with the facts but happy to peddle tittle tattle to impress his/her mates.

As for Poyet I would suggest it was a) the Club and b) the fans that were treated shabbily by him. IMHO Poyet is extremely fortunate that a settlement was eventually arrived at following his dismissal and subsequent failed appeal that allowed him to move into another job quite as quickly as he did. Although we wanted the managerial situation resolved I would like to have seen his claims of unfair dismissal tested in court.

I imagine that we offered Upson a fair deal based on what we could afford knowing that ultimately he might receive financial offers that we were not prepared to match - plus there is one vital issue that The Albion could not offer him - but Leicester could i.e. another season in the Premier League! I suggest that is just the harsh reality of us being a Championship Club with a modest budget. Like Wayne Bridge we enjoyed a great season seeing a true Pro like Upson grace our team, yes its a pity he moved on but we have to dwell on the positives. That calibre of player in an Albion shirt was a pipedream only 2-3 years earlier.

As for PIG he did a lot of his so called contract negotiations through the media in the latter part of last season (in a rather Poyet-esque fashion) while his playing form tailed off. Unlike Upson I suspect he became an obvious casualty of us needing to prune the big wage earners in order to create scope for the new regime and continue our compliance with FFP.

I was chatting with a very rare thing this morning - a genuine Pompey fan with an honest viewpoint. He is so p****d off with their fans who ignore the harsh realities and somehow still expect them to splash cash they haven't got and buy their way back to the PL. Sounds like our OP's 'source' is out of touch too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here