Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] A captain's fury.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A fine and a ban for what? f*ck them, they cant be unaccountable for decisions that could cost 100 million+ pounds to a club. And they cant be above the laws of the game.

If I were Dunk, I wouldnt pay nor attend any meeting without explanation of why Mason blew the second time.

What is the refs reasoning having blown a whistle to start play, to the blow again. This is not North Korea.

But technically if he blew once, then blew again before the ball went in the net it isn’t a goal.

Why he blew a second time is a different subject, but won’t mean a goal would or wouldn’t then be given

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
If the video has an audio track it is incredibly easy to ascertain whether a whistle was blown especially in an empty stadium.

The ball had gone past the keeper 100% before blew the second time. There's no argument. Problem we have is a limp manager not to really argue about it. TOO NICE throw some f@ucks about

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The ball had gone past the keeper 100% before blew the second time. There's no argument. Problem we have is a limp manager not to really argue about it. TOO NICE throw some f@ucks about

It wasn’t on Sky’s replay.

How do you want potter to argue with VAR ? Drive down to Stockley park ? Your frustration is misguided

The issue is why did Lee Mason blow his whistle a second time. He is entitled to, but it’s extremely risky for a referee to do what he did, for that very reason

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
But technically if he blew once, then blew again before the ball went in the net it isn’t a goal.

Why he blew a second time is a different subject, but won’t mean a goal would or wouldn’t then be given

Yes youre right, if he blew before the ball crossed the line, it is not a goal. But why do he blow the second time, having just blowed to allow a free kick after a player has asked to take it quick?

What is his justification, it wont change the result, but he must be sanctioned. What next, blow a second time on a penalty without reason? When someone hits a 30 yard screamer, just blow whistle without any explanation?

Mason must be forced to explain why and if he cant he should be sanctioned.

Right Back

Marseille was magic
NSC Patron
Sep 21, 2017
Brighton
So if we have a manager who moans a lot it will help us to get decisions. How many penalties do Burnley get. We had more today than they got in a whole season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes youre right, if he blew before the ball crossed the line, it is not a goal. But why do he blow the second time, having just blowed to allow a free kick after a player has asked to take it quick?

What is his justification, it wont change the result, but he must be sanctioned. What next, blow a second time on a penalty without reason? When someone hits a 30 yard screamer, just blow whistle without any explanation?

Mason must be forced to explain why and if he cant he should be sanctioned.

I agree - like I said it is a huge no no. He had a moment of madness in already a poor season for him. Sadly he will drop down a decision for a week or 2 and then be back, given how the PL select referee system works

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
So if we have a manager who moans a lot it will help us to get decisions. How many penalties do Burnley get. We had more today than they got in a whole season.

Burnley barely get in the opponents box.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Assuming the second whistle did go before the ball crossed the line then the law of the game was followed

There would have to be a reason for the second whistle being blown which I don't think has been given. The only hypothesis currently is that he saw it was clearly going in and bottled it possibly at the thought of Allardyce. I am prepared to cut refs a lot of slack when it comes to split-second decisions but absolutely none if they are not prepared to be honest about them.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Graham's clearly a fan of pint-size strikers.

But unlike the milkman, Potter's Albion doesn't always deliver.

Not really. Pretty much always used tall target players in Östersund & Swansea. Most likely reason he is not doing it in Brighton is because they havent found one.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
LOL. Really? I would have loved to see that but you are ina dreamland if actions like that don't result in fines and bans.

So that situation today has never, EVER, happened before I think we're in our right to have had that fully explained prior to the restart. they winged it, plain and simple. The whistle just didn't go prior to the ball going in. I would have said prove it?

Should add the game has stopped far beyond want they added at halftime, if it had to another 5 to satisfy the need to prove the whistle so what?

Great now ****ing Newcastle score oh ffs ffs *****

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They already gave it. Plus did you not see the Villa "goal" last season. No amount of anger changed that.

ofc its done, history already has recorded 0-1, but you shouldnt be fined for expressing frustration to a bizzare decision from unaccountable officials who behave as if they are the law rather than the FA rules.

Mason needs to explain why he blew a second time, just before ball crosses the line..

And newcastle 1-0 up and looking up for it...... we're going down.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
GP needs to get his hands dirty on this.

I cannot think of very few managers who would give such a mild response. I think Dunk’s reaction was spot on.....

I think the officials view him as a soft touch at times.....

There’s nothing wrong with being respectful and decent, but sometimes you need to get in there......

I agree with this. Lewis clearly intimates the ref was swayed by the WBA players and bench. Ergo, the fact that Potter does nothing makes it easier for him to give the decision the other way. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agree with this. Lewis clearly intimates the ref was swayed by the WBA players and bench. Ergo, the fact that Potter does nothing makes it easier for him to give the decision the other way. It shouldn’t be that way, but it is.

Mason gave us the goal. VAR overruled it.

Or did Big Sam intimidate VAR ?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

I'd have to look at it, with an audio wave form underneath. It's impossible to tell without.

What we do know is the second whistle had no material effect on the ball going in, but the rules don't account for that.

As for the comment above (not yours) about VAR being "video only", that's clearly nonsense.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Their argument was that the ball had not crossed the line before the 2nd whistle , i have listened loads of times , and imho the ball didn`t just cross the line it rippled the net before the 2nd whistle .

ps : What is a 2nd whistle ? ....apart from an excuse to bail out a ref !

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Whats the point in Potter coming out and criticising the ref only to be fined or at the time being sent to the stands. Know doubt Dunk will be fined, but you can guarantee Mason will still pick up his pay check, the only thing that might happen is that he is taken off officiating next week or relegated to a Championship game. The referee association will still stick up for him.
As for the second whistle, there was no need for that. Once the whistle is blown, the ref can only blow again for an infringement, not because he has made a mistake. Mark Halsey on the radio said that this was too big a game for Mason, because it was his first game back. Remember Wolves manager was fined for his remarks about Mason and Southampton have asked for him to be removed from any remaining games he is due to officiate for them. I don't even know if he was fit enough to continue, I noticed he was limping in the last 15 minutes.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
As a fan, you want your players/coach/manager etc to show some passion and tell it how it is, say the ref is wrong, didn't have a grip of the game, doesn't know what he's doing etc. Being nice all the time doesn't help our cause.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I thought I read somewhere (can't find link), that the official reason given as to why he blew his whistle the second time, is because he sees their keeper isn't ready.

That is not an infringement, and so not a reason to blow the whistle. So whether the second whistle goes before or after the ball is in the back of the net is irrelevant really. Unless a valid reason can be given for the second whistle, then the VAR decision is clearly wrong.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I thought I read somewhere (can't find link), that the official reason given as to why he blew his whistle the second time, is because he sees their keeper isn't ready.

That is not an infringement, and so not a reason to blow the whistle. So whether the second whistle goes before or after the ball is in the back of the net is irrelevant really. Unless a valid reason can be given for the second whistle, then the VAR decision is clearly wrong.

‘Reasons’ don’t come into it though. The facts are he blew once, then blew again. The ball hadn’t crossed the line so there was nothing that could be done.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here