Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A Bit Of Perspective...

nutter

Jul 6, 2003
Brighton
Just reading a few reactions to the Crofts and Calderon transfer. It suprises me how people are worried that things are falling apart. My view is that Poyet discovered Calderon. He also wasn't too upset that he didn't want to stay. Granted he was a good player for us, especially going forward, but if Poyet can find gems like that then he can do it again. Also, with Crofts, I'm sure that Poyet will have an ample replacement coming in. We are a club on the up with a fantastic, savvy Chairman so we won't be paying over the odds for players but at the same token I think the calibre of player we are now after is going to be higher.

Thoughts please.

SirDouglasLoft

Jul 4, 2008
Gus wouldn't have sold Crofts if he didn't have a good enough replacement lined up.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
A bit of perspective is 'exactly' what is needed.

We have lost 2 decent players, but, in my opinion there is no need for such negativity.

I trust Gus to get the right players in, and see us pushing for a play off place next season.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It all boils down to the previous managers who in retrospect cocked things up. Gus is the anointed one , BELIEVE and all will be come to pass

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Both are setbacks but we have a while to find replacements.

The world still turns.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
Just reading a few reactions to the Crofts and Calderon transfer. It suprises me how people are worried that things are falling apart. My view is that Poyet discovered Calderon. He also wasn't too upset that he didn't want to stay. Granted he was a good player for us, especially going forward, but if Poyet can find gems like that then he can do it again. Also, with Crofts, I'm sure that Poyet will have an ample replacement coming in. We are a club on the up with a fantastic, savvy Chairman so we won't be paying over the odds for players but at the same token I think the calibre of player we are now after is going to be higher.

Thoughts please.

Agree with Calderon, great going forward but sometimes missing in defence.

Painter is the key to our defence and Crofts was part of a 3 pronged unit that worked well together. it is a shame that he has left but I'm not sure how much of that unit will start the season as first choice in August

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Can't say things like that on here. Its all about the fact we have no money and our best players are leaving and we will never sign anyone

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But if our players are moving on to better clubs then any potential signings of ours will presumably also be getting offers from better clubs.

I think that is a very good point. I get the feeling that most of our fans feel Gus has a better eye for a player than the managers of clubs that are much more successful than us so will replace the players who have gone with better quality players. I personally don't see this unless he is given a substantial budget to do it. The noises being made are that we won't be spending a fortune but if we don't I don't expect a promotion push this season.

What seems to be forgotten in the rush to hail Gus is that he is a novice who hasn't actually achieved anything as a manager yet.

I trust in him but I certainly don't have the blind faith so many on here have that he is gonna lead us to the promised land next season. I hope the same fans that expect miracles now are not on his back after 10 games of possibly failing to gel next season.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
I think that is a very good point. I get the feeling that most of our fans feel Gus has a better eye for a player than the managers of clubs that are much more successful than us so will replace the players who have gone with better quality players. I personally don't see this unless he is given a substantial budget to do it. The noises being made are that we won't be spending a fortune but if we don't I don't expect a promotion push this season.

What seems to be forgotten in the rush to hail Gus is that he is a novice who hasn't actually achieved anything as a manager yet.

I trust in him but I certainly don't have the blind faith so many on here have that he is gonna lead us to the promised land next season. I hope the same fans that expect miracles are not on his back after 10 games of gelling next season.

what noises are they? Bloom has said 10% or so increase on last year's budget when we spent nearly 1 million quid. Pretty substantial in this league (take away Southampton)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
what noises are they? Bloom has said 10% or so increase on last year's budget when we spent nearly 1 million quid. Pretty substantial in this league (take away Southampton)

Do you really believe a million is substantial and enough to get the 4 to 6 quality players minimum that we would need to stand a chance of getting out of this division?

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Do you really believe a million is substantial and enough to get the 4 to 6 quality players minimum that we would need to stand a chance of getting out of this division?

Personally yes. Loads of free players going round (Take Painter) as well and throw in a couple of loans.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
. The fact of the matter is he's a better manager and a more appealing prospect to play for than ANY, and I mean literally ANY, other in league one. That along will see us rise through the crap to promotion next season. I'm sure of it.

Rubbish, if that was the case why would Calderon be moving on?Getting the best players is all about money and please stop saying what a great manager Gus is. He may become one but he isn't as yet.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Personally yes. Loads of free players going round (Take Painter) as well and throw in a couple of loans.

Take into account signing on fees and wages and even freebies don't come cheap, especially good ones.

I worry that expectations are so high that anything other than a solid start will see booing and calls for the manager's head. Anyone who's been an Albion fan for any time knows 10-12 matches is all it takes to go from hero to zero at this club as far as the fans are concerned.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Gus is better than EVERY other manager in league one. That is what I said and I challenge you to prove me wrong by naming a single man currently in employment in our division that would be a better choice. He alone will be worth probably 15-20 points next season.

Danny Wilson

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here