9 Games Left - Loan Striker?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
In this division, yes I do.

Most other people did as well until a couple of weeks ago when all of a sudden Rhodes hit a brick wall when he moved to Boro and started to struggle.

I think the choice of strikers against Reading was quite significant in what we might see in the run in to the end of the season. The fact that James Wilson was brought back into the starting line up tends to suggest that he is beginning to show more in training than he has been. That might be down to the fact that the pitches are getting better and firmer.

I am a big fan of Hemed and I never like to look any further ahead than the next match but I think that Hemed, Wilson could be the really fruitful Partnership at the tail end of the season. The better surfaces will suit our wingers as well. I won't tempt fate by predicting anything but Brighton are coming into good form at the right time and if we can avoid injuries then we have as good a chance as any of the others of going straight up. I do hope we take a gamble against Burnley though and really go for it in that match.

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
Glenn Murray 'Mints' just spotted getting out of Sergei Gotsmanov's courtesy Lada outside of the Grand Hotel, Michael Owen was the bellhop holding the door open as 'Mints' entered the hotel and walked straight into the arms of the waiting Tony Bloom, the two embraced, Glenn grabbing a handful of Tony's left butt cheek before releasing him and signing on the dotted line for the remaining matches of the season, promising to score at least once in every game.

DanRedman

Mar 18, 2014
Definitely need another striker on loan. One goal in the last three games gives you a clue. Based on last night's performance we do NOT have the players to get us promoted.

What about the previous games? A 3-0, 3-2, and two 4-0 wins... Form is temporary. I've said this during January, and I'll say it again, the club think they have 4 strikers to get us promoted, for a fraction of what Burnley, Boro and Hull have to pay. That should be applauded, more than anything else

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Glenn Murray 'Mints' just spotted getting out of Sergei Gotsmanov's courtesy Lada outside of the Grand Hotel, Michael Owen was the bellhop holding the door open as 'Mints' entered the hotel and walked straight into the arms of the waiting Tony Bloom, the two embraced, Glenn grabbing a handful of Tony's left butt cheek before releasing him and signing on the dotted line for the remaining matches of the season, promising to score at least once in every game.

Nice. Presumably they then celebrated with a six pack of doughnuts from the pier?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Most other people did as well until a couple of weeks ago when all of a sudden Rhodes hit a brick wall when he moved to Boro and started to struggle.

I think the choice of strikers against Reading was quite significant in what we might see in the run in to the end of the season. The fact that James Wilson was brought back into the starting line up tends to suggest that he is beginning to show more in training than he has been. That might be down to the fact that the pitches are getting better and firmer.

I am a big fan of Hemed and I never like to look any further ahead than the next match but I think that Hemed, Wilson could be the really fruitful Partnership at the tail end of the season. The better surfaces will suit our wingers as well. I won't tempt fate by predicting anything but Brighton are coming into good form at the right time and if we can avoid injuries then we have as good a chance as any of the others of going straight up. I do hope we take a gamble against Burnley though and really go for it in that match.

You place great stall in how players are showing in training, and given you've got access to those that make decisions, this is probably key. But just as an alternative view, I felt that CH picked Wilson and Baldock against Reading, because they defended with a high-line (certainly in comparison to Sheff Wed), and have two CBs in their 30s, who while no slouches aren't exactly the most mobile. CH has history in selecting forwards according to the opposition -- I can vividly remember CMS being selected against Leeds (Bamba, et al) last year, and it almost made him look like a decent player.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
We don't need a loan striker. We have everything we need to get promoted. Will that happen? It's very possible. Will it happen with a loan striker? I really don't see the chances increasing greatly given the options we are talking about. We are keeping clean sheets, winning games and have a squad that know one another.

Unless it's Messi then I'd leave well alone.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, form is temporary. And the form we showed in that winning streak seems to have deserted us again. Our current form (which is what counts) is one goal in three games. NOT promotion form.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
If Murray if available we should definitely go in for him - we'll never get a better chance to get an automatic promotion place imo

I don't think Bournemouth have any intention of letting him go anywhere. The media rumours are most likely coming from Murray's agent.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Yes, form is temporary. And the form we showed in that winning streak seems to have deserted us again. Our current form (which is what counts) is one goal in three games. NOT promotion form.

Our current form in 5 games is 9 goals, no defeats and 5 clean sheets.

It's all about how you spin it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
He's been prolific for years, he's only been at 'boro for a short time, a time when the whole team is struggling and having problems off the pitch. AFAIK Murray has only hit double figures once since he left us.

I think the choice of strikers against Reading was quite significant in what we might see in the run in to the end of the season. The fact that James Wilson was brought back into the starting line up tends to suggest that he is beginning to show more in training than he has been.
I thought it was significant for that game and I'm surprised it hasn't been discussed more on here. It was the first time in a while I remember us starting with two pacey strikers, but I thought it was a decision specifically for the game against Reading, who had slow centre backs and didn't defend deep. And it was a decision that worked. I can easily see Chris going for it again, but only if it suits the opposition.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Our current form (which is what counts) is one goal in three games. NOT promotion form.
You've cherry picked just the last 3 games. How about picking the last 5 games - scored 9, let in 0, 3 wins & 2 draws. If we keep that form up, we'll probably finish second.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
You place great stall in how players are showing in training, and given you've got access to those that make decisions, this is probably key. But just as an alternative view, I felt that CH picked Wilson and Baldock against Reading, because they defended with a high-line (certainly in comparison to Sheff Wed), and have two CBs in their 30s, who while no slouches aren't exactly the most mobile. CH has history in selecting forwards according to the opposition -- I can vividly remember CMS being selected against Leeds (Bamba, et al) last year, and it almost made him look like a decent player.

Mr M - I think you are 100% correct in your appraisal of his selection process for that match but if you notice I did not suggest Baldock and Wilson as the pairing going forward

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
You've cherry picked just the last 3 games. How about picking the last 5 games - scored 9, let in 0, 3 wins & 2 draws. If we keep that form up, we'll probably finish second.

Because the last three games is how we're playing NOW, not three or four weeks ago. It's current form and current goal tally that counts. And it's not been impressive.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
The argument continues but the most important factor, one way or the other, is that if one, or worse, two of our strikers become injured we are in the doo doo !

Also BZ, it is acknowledged is not up for 90 minutes so figure it out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Because the last three games is how we're playing NOW, not three or four weeks ago.
You do know you're talking nonsense don't you? Our game 10 days ago wasn't 'NOW'. Maybe you should just take the last game as an indication of our current form. I've at least heard it said that your only as good as your last game. I've never heard anyone say you're only as good as your last 3 games.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports