Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

9/11 Fancy Dress - Too soon?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Reply 3.

seriously though, after thinking about it, i reckon if you are going to have a celebration of the dead, nothing should be off the table. at some level any halloween custume is going to offend someone.

Indeed. One of the many reasons I hate Halloween.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
To show that students still have their finger on the pulse, Birmingham Uni banned people turning up with sombreros and drawn on moustaches as the anti-fascism officer (snigger) deemed the costumes to be racist. He also allowed all the Village People in, except the one dressed as a native American, for the same reason.

University staff are launching a campus wide hunt for his sense of humour.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

A bloke in my 2nd year of uni (2007) dressed up in pink pyjamas, wore a blonde wig, and carried a teddy bear around.

He had come to the party as Madelein McCann

Uni students, oh look at us, how cool are we.
:wrong: punish:

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Slow news day at The Sun plus photographer who thought he could get a story out of it.

Add that to the fact that it's an entirely tasteless thing to do and bingo, you have a news story.

The girls get totally victimised for the day (and I'm not excusing them, but the effect on their lives will be considerable), and loads of keyboard warriors and members of the disgusted chattering classes feel great about themselves - and The Sun gets to sell some more papers.

Of course, this is all worthy of front page coverage isn't it? There's no other news stories that our august media should be covering is there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I'll sum up the thread before it gets going:

Reply 1: "People wouldn't laugh if they knew somebody who died in the attack."
Reply 2: "FFS People need to lighten up. They're just having a laugh."
Reply 3: "I'd do them both!"
Reply 4: A mention of a Consipiracy theory.
Reply 5: Comparisson of 9/11 to another global tragedy that we should care more about.

Reply 6: Bin Laden was bad, but not as bad as Ashley Barnes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
A friend of mine went out dressed as Jimmy Saville last Halloween. That's not a joke he really did......... He worked on the assumption that nothing could be scarier to kids. I did warn him that it might be a tad too soon.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
A friend of mine went out dressed as Jimmy Saville last Halloween. That's not a joke he really did......... He worked on the assumption that nothing could be scarier to kids. I did warn him that it might be a tad too soon.

A leeds student tried similar last year and ended up spending the night in A&E after getting set upon by a few blokes on the Otley road. (no it wasn't me)

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
On 5live this morning, they related a story that the red Indian from a group that went to a uni fancy dress party dressed as the village people was not let in and his costume was racist. Also in Chester some were turned away after wearing sombreros and drawn on mushies with the same reason.

Seemly they have a anti facist/ racism official in the uni!

It seemed genuine as they were interviews on the radio.

:mad:

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I'd definitely do both of them.

On a side note, what a pathetic thing to put on the front page of a national newspaper. Lets all demonise a couple of teenage girls, brilliant :facepalm:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
On 5live this morning, they related a story that the red Indian from a group that went to a uni fancy dress party dressed as the village people was not let in and his costume was racist. Also in Chester some were turned away after wearing sombreros and drawn on mushies with the same reason.

Seemly they have a anti facist/ racism official in the uni!

It seemed genuine as they were interviews on the radio.

:mad:

I hope they have a pro-fascism official as well.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I'd definitely do both of them.

On a side note, what a pathetic thing to put on the front page of a national newspaper. Lets all demonise a couple of teenage girls, brilliant :facepalm:

Agreed. Whilst tasteless and inadvisable, I think it is ridiculous and irresponsible to publish their names and (pretty much) their addresses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here