Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 8pm Boxing Day KO Is An Utter Disgrace And Kick In Teeth To Proper Fans

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Yeah seriously. I absolutely accept that if you haven't got a car and can't get to Brighton Station then it's tricky and transport is an issue but let's face it few Brighton fans are die-hard nowadays. I include myself in these by the way but if it's not the kick off time then it's Covid, holidays, parking, trains, the ticket share system, the style of football, the lack of atmosphere, mobile tickets, the expense or bottle tops it seems like a lot of us are looking for reasons not to go and the joy some fans take in pronouncing that they won't be going and that the attendance will be low does my head in at times. Plenty of issues at the moment but boy do we like a whinge.

Yeah you’re right, especially Covid, how dare people whine about Covid. :rolleyes:

Many peoples lives have been turned upside down for almost 2 years now, letting off steam on a football forum maybe helps.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not a peep by the club kicking against the pricks of Sky Sports.

Shows where the club's bottom line and loyalty lies.

Sad :nono:

It's the way of the PL world that the Albion are a member of.
Play in a big boys league, have to go work the rules.
I know it seems unfair, but it's for the plastic Sky TV ameobas after the Xmas weekend.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
We drank from the poisoned cup and the indigestion has started taking hold. The ridiculous model will not work in the long term but we will have to put up with it before it all comes crashing down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
As a fan of a Premier League club I'm used to rubbish kick off times but my biggest problem with 8 o clock on Boxing Day is insufficient public transport. More cars = not green. And the Premier League have a moral duty - as we all do - to reduce our carbon foot print. The fricking Prem should lay the trains on.

Bombardier

NSC Patron
Jul 22, 2004
Hove actually
Yeah seriously. I absolutely accept that if you haven't got a car and can't get to Brighton Station then it's tricky and transport is an issue but let's face it few Brighton fans are die-hard nowadays. I include myself in these by the way but if it's not the kick off time then it's Covid, holidays, parking, trains, the ticket share system, the style of football, the lack of atmosphere, mobile tickets, the expense or bottle tops it seems like a lot of us are looking for reasons not to go and the joy some fans take in pronouncing that they won't be going and that the attendance will be low does my head in at times. Plenty of issues at the moment but boy do we like a whinge.

You just don’t get it do you. You do me a huge disservice and others by saying few Brighton fans are die hard. I have been going home and away for years and know many die hards. The issue at hand is we are just a commodity now. Lots of empty seats before Covid struck. The Brentford game is at a ridiculous time for Boxing Day but more importantly the ground was built on the basis of sustainable public transport and with no trains, no buses to get you back and a far from ideal park and ride scheme it’s basically a recipe for an an embarrassing attendance. I am going, don’t really want to go but no one is willing to take my ticket, which I would happily give away for free if anyone wanted it without having to pay an additional membership cost.

Barber surely needs to be aware of the general feeling or this is going to bite him in the ass.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
It's been discussed enough I agree. We've been treated badly and shitty luck again, but what did we expect? At least there are games and we have a chance to get out of our slump and hopefully score a goal.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
I don't actually know how much weight the club has in these situations.

I suspect it's very much a "you're in the top league now, your games are subject to whatever kick off time we say" arrangement.

Doesn't make it right but what's the alternative? Realistically what could the club do? Refuse to field a team? Refuse entry to the TV crews?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I don't actually know how much weight the club has in these situations.

I suspect it's very much a "you're in the top league now, your games are subject to whatever kick off time we say" arrangement.

Doesn't make it right but what's the alternative? Realistically what could the club do? Refuse to field a team? Refuse entry to the TV crews?

What can the club do ? Nothing.

Could forfeit the match, or perhaps offer £5M back to the tv companies I guess ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You just don’t get it do you. You do me a huge disservice and others by saying few Brighton fans are die hard. I have been going home and away for years and know many die hards. The issue at hand is we are just a commodity now. Lots of empty seats before Covid struck. The Brentford game is at a ridiculous time for Boxing Day but more importantly the ground was built on the basis of sustainable public transport and with no trains, no buses to get you back and a far from ideal park and ride scheme it’s basically a recipe for an an embarrassing attendance. I am going, don’t really want to go but no one is willing to take my ticket, which I would happily give away for free if anyone wanted it without having to pay an additional membership cost.

Barber surely needs to be aware of the general feeling or this is going to bite him in the ass.

This.

Many moaning about lack of 3pm kick offs are the hardcore of yesteryear. Nowadays it seems you are a "loyal supporter" if you're prepared to drive to a game at any given time of any given day.

It's real football fans who are being punished by Sky and BT, both by kick off times and because it means their hard earned gets spent on the obscene wages of bang average players.

Hopefully the OP has sobered up because it is NOT the club's fault. They want to be part of the PL system and it's the system that dictates the rules.

During lockdown Henry Winter went on record as saying that the football BCD was of much worse quality and really bad to watch without the atmosphere generated by fans. Fans have a huge amount of power and they should start by boycotting these difficult games instead of trotting along like lemmings.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Not much the club can do about this as TV is the master. However the lack of understanding that the club relies on a model of public transport for access more so than most is a kick in the teeth for the club and it’s supporters, although that probably was low/or not considered by whoever planned this.
Out of the 30 or so fellow season ticket holders I know only three are going so it will be interesting to see if this is translated to the wider support.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Here’s a suggestion. If matches are moved by broadcasters from a 3pm kick off then STH have 14 days from the date of the announcement to apply for a refund of 1/19 of their ST price. To stop people taking the piss a maximum of six refunds a season is allowed.

This gives the club plenty of time to find an alternative buyer (at usual Matchday price so makes more money), those fans who find it difficult to make 3pm KO’s (and we are regularly told there are many of them) will find it easier to get a ticket and STH’s will feel less shafted by the EPL. Clubs get an extra £1m per match if they are chosen for live broadcast if on more than ten times a season so won’t be financially disadvantaged.

Perhaps we need some form of independent regulator for the industry to take into consideration the views of fans, or is that too much like North Korea?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Here’s a suggestion. If matches are moved by broadcasters from a 3pm kick off then STH have 14 days from the date of the announcement to apply for a refund of 1/19 of their ST price. To stop people taking the piss a maximum of six refunds a season is allowed.

This gives the club plenty of time to find an alternative buyer (at usual Matchday price so makes more money), those fans who find it difficult to make 3pm KO’s (and we are regularly told there are many of them) will find it easier to get a ticket and STH’s will feel less shafted by the EPL. Clubs get an extra £1m per match if they are chosen for live broadcast if on more than ten times a season so won’t be financially disadvantaged.

There you go again, bringing out your sensible, reasonable, decent suggestions. You've changed EP.

:lolol:

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
I would have been going this evening had I not been picking my lad up from hospital tomorrow. We've been effectively self isolating the last 8/9 days to ensure as far as we can that we remain Covid free.

I wasn't happy when the 8pm kick off was originally announced - but I've learnt that it's counter productive to get stressed and moan about something you can't control or change. It can become exhausting and can affect mental health. Sometimes you just need to let these things go.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Instead of all this winging at the stupid time of today's game, why not come and watch Shoreham v Worthing Utd tomorrow at 11am. Should be a good game then straight in the pub afterwards. And only a fiver!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here