Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£8 for under 21's FRIENDLY

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Seems like these teams don't really get how to make money when an opportunity arises. But then again; how much was the game against Southampton? ? N why was there only 7k there??

Because It was a pre season friendly, and it was against Southampton, would be two reasons why there was 'only' 7K+ there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Because It was a pre season friendly, and it was against Southampton, would be two reasons why there was 'only' 7K+ there.

But mostly because it was a midweek game where the transport arrangements are always dogshit tho eh? wWuld have been double that gate on a Saturday.

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
Fair enough. Worthing is missing a trick tho IMHO. They'd have a HUGE turnout v BHAFC first team, same as they always did in the past. Locally, BHAFC reserves is no big deal. Especially when most folks still regard Crawley as a non-league friendly.

ha as if Worthing dont want the first team to come and play!

last season Brighton didnt bring any side, 2 years ago it pissed it down but a good 1.5k turned up

as for moaning because a non league club charged less than their usual league price.... get over your selves eh?

No rhyme or reason pricing up friendlies, Merstham charged a tenner when we (Peacehaven) went up midweek, which is normal league admission, South Park yesterday just had a bucket on the gate to pay for the ref, not sure that worked though as there was only about 10 fans from each side and the bucket only contained what I put in plus a three Rupee coin and a button on a piece of string

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
ha as if Worthing dont want the first team to come and play!

last season Brighton didnt bring any side, 2 years ago it pissed it down but a good 1.5k turned up

as for moaning because a non league club charged less than their usual league price.... get over your selves eh?

I think you've missed the point, the issue is not that they've charged less than their league price, its that they charged £8 for a nothing match.

If they'd charged say £5, they would have got more fans than 400+, which would have increased revenue for catering and bar takings etc....

joeywortho

Jun 3, 2013
I think you've missed the point, the issue is not that they've charged less than their league price, its that they charged £8 for a nothing match.

If they'd charged say £5, they would have got more fans than 400+, which would have increased revenue for catering and bar takings etc....

maybe maybe not and as for it being a nothing match have you BEEN to woodside?!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

To have only charged £5 they would have needed to have had another 300 or so to make the same entrance money and as regards increased bar and food do not forget the beer and burgers have to be paid for so it is not all profit over the bar.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
To have only charged £5 they would have needed to have had another 300 or so to make the same entrance money and as regards increased bar and food do not forget the beer and burgers have to be paid for so it is not all profit over the bar.

Of course but 1100 in the driving rain on a Tuesday evening at £6, is a bit different to 400+ on a Saturday afternoon, paying £8.....

If you think wholesale beer and burgers are expensive you're kidding yourself.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Burgers are very cheap but beer is not so now. Worthing Fc probably pay £1 a pint or near to.

But there is still a good mark-up to be had on both the beer and the burgers, so I'm not sure about the point you are making.

Surely you accept that 1100 at £6 is going to generate more income than 400 at £8, both in bar takings and food??

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
But there is still a good mark-up to be had on both the beer and the burgers, so I'm not sure about the point you are making.

Surely you accept that 1100 at £6 is going to generate more income than 400 at £8, both in bar takings and food??

I dont think 1100 would have come midweek irrespective, maximum 600 and not everybody buys beer and burgers especially midweek after eating at home in most cases. Playing on a Saturday is an entirely different story.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I dont think 1100 would have come midweek irrespective, maximum 600 and not everybody buys beer and burgers especially midweek after eating at home in most cases. Playing on a Saturday is an entirely different story.

Well you're wrong immediately as the 1100 was a Tuesday night as I went.

Of course not everyone eats, but surely you can see that a larger gate is more profitable for the revenue streams than a smaller one.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
you think nearly 3 times as many would have come if £2 less? dont be soft

If you can't see that this meaningless friendly was overpriced then this discussion is pointless.

Surely even the most ardent Worthing fan would admit this. I know 4 or 5 that were surprised.

I really want Worthing to be the premier non-league club in Sussex, like it used to be when Lloydy was manager, but they need to start getting some of the basics right. Starting with pricing structure for games.

The facts are that other linked revenue streams increase with a larger attendance.

Let's hope Hinsh get them up.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I didnt go because it was the U21s nothing to do with price but if we had fielded a semblance of a first team on Saturdayday I would have gone and willingly paid £12 - £15. So yes I am agreeing with you but I think £8 for that fixture wss right.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here