Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 days left in the transfer window. Striker, Centre Half, Centre midfielder all required..

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
These targets they speak of, who's targets are they?

Oscars? I don't think so....
Burke....? Possibly
Blooms... Perhaps?
Jones.... The most obvious?

Rosemary, the telephone operator?

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Frankly, I just need the good news of some great signings to stop me having to refresh this link every 5 mins!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
I wouldn't be worried if we don't sign a defender. Dunk can step up to the role of first reserve and we still have Calderon who can cover there in an emergency, plus the option of a loan signing at any point.

Ideally, we need a striker who can play out wide, much like Barnes did. There is no point in spending money on a striker who leads the line and plays up against the opposition centre backs, as that is Ulloa's job and we won't find anyone better than him. So we'd just be signing someone to sit on the bench. We need someone who is capable of playing as the lead striker if Ulloa is out, but can still start games alongside him because they are suited to playing wide or in the hole behind him. That signing is the only one I would consider a must.

The second most important position to fill is central midfield, as we have lost Crofts and will probably lose Bridcutt. We can still make up the numbers here with the likes of Andrews and Agustien, but if we're relying on them then we will probably have to accept they are going to be a step down in quality from the form of Crofts this season and Bridcutt last season.

Ultimately, the key to everything is selling Bridcutt and adding £3 million to our pot, or at least however much has been allocated for reinvestment in the team. We know we've made a £1m+ bid for a player who almost came here in this window, so I have no concern that money is available. But rather than try to cling on to Bridcutt and probably just drag it out until January 31st, the best thing for our hopes this season is to cash in on him and use the money to get at least two good signings in.

Pretty much in agreement. I think Obika can play the support striker role but even if he did we need someone on the bench so a striker is essential.
In all honesty I am more worried about an attacking centre mid. Ulloa has been horribly isolated in our last two games and whilst Agustein can play a mean through ball there is currently no-one coming through onto the ball. Crofts in form was crucial to playing a lone/isolated striker successfully. He has to be replaced.
Not concerned about centre back or the loss of Bridcutt - he has to go now and frankly we have less cover for Buckley possibly going.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
... something seems to be turning the top targets away from us.

Not sure any evidence of this. It was our decision to turn Grabban down for instance. He was keen to come here. Yet We weren't prepared to give him the length of contract he or his agent asked for. We could have signed him but chose not to. Conway is clearly another first choice who hasn't (re) signed yet but presumably that plan was disrupted by first a) Malky Mackay leaving b) and now Zaha moving to Cardiff. Good chance that deal will be done before next week.

But What other examples are there of our top targets not signing ?

As for players leaving then El Abd was a third choice centre back and Barnes likewise 3rd or 4th forward potentially with CMS and Hoskins coming back , and Oscar playing 1 up front. Doesn't make it any easier that they are leaving but nothing to indicate a crisis or a panic to be honest.

As for fringe players then Maxsimenko clearly needs game time and was obviously behind even Chicksen in getting close to a first team start so no problem going on loan for game time i'd say.

Bridcutt of course is a first choice player and might eventually leave but so far we have rejected all advances and turned down 1 transfer request.

Everything else (Buckley, Ulloa) is just noise.

And finally the time to judge exactly how we've done in the window will be 11pm next Friday and the look of the team for Watford FC.
Far too early to say.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
It opens a week after the transfer window closes, and runs until the fourth Thursday in March, so Feb 7th through to March 27th.

Luckily, we are unlikely to have any significant 'outs' in the loan window as premier league clubs can't use it for incoming players.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Not sure any evidence of this. It was our decision to turn Grabban down for instance. He was keen to come here. Yet We weren't prepared to give him the length of contract he or his agent asked for. We could have signed him but chose not to. Conway is clearly another first choice who hasn't (re) signed yet but presumably that plan was disrupted by first a) Malky Mackay leaving b) and now Zaha moving to Cardiff. Good chance that deal will be done before next week.

But What other examples are there of our top targets not signing ?

As for players leaving then El Abd was a third choice centre back and Barnes likewise 3rd or 4th forward potentially with CMS and Hoskins coming back , and Oscar playing 1 up front. Doesn't make it any easier that they are leaving but nothing to indicate a crisis or a panic to be honest.

As for fringe players then Maxsimenko clearly needs game time and was obviously behind even Chicksen in getting close to a first team start so no problem going on loan for game time i'd say.

Bridcutt of course is a first choice player and might eventually leave but so far we have rejected all advances and turned down 1 transfer request.

Everything else (Buckley, Ulloa) is just noise.

And finally the time to judge exactly how we've done in the window will be 11pm next Friday and the look of the team for Watford FC.
Far too early to say.

Sense.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Neither will be match fit for at least a month after that probably longer, striker urgently needed if we have ambitions for promotion,unfortunately letting ElAbd go shows that the club have no aspirations for promotion whatsoever:albion2:

I would say the oposite that releasing El Abd and Barnes has shown that the club are prepared to deal to bring in better players.as much as both were good sevants to the club they were never going to fire us to the Premier and if we got there would not have survived.

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
I wouldn't be worried if we don't sign a defender. Dunk can step up to the role of first reserve and we still have Calderon who can cover there in an emergency, plus the option of a loan signing at any point.

Ideally, we need a striker who can play out wide, much like Barnes did. There is no point in spending money on a striker who leads the line and plays up against the opposition centre backs, as that is Ulloa's job and we won't find anyone better than him. So we'd just be signing someone to sit on the bench. We need someone who is capable of playing as the lead striker if Ulloa is out, but can still start games alongside him because they are suited to playing wide or in the hole behind him. That signing is the only one I would consider a must.

The second most important position to fill is central midfield, as we have lost Crofts and will probably lose Bridcutt. We can still make up the numbers here with the likes of Andrews and Agustien, but if we're relying on them then we will probably have to accept they are going to be a step down in quality from the form of Crofts this season and Bridcutt last season.

Ultimately, the key to everything is selling Bridcutt and adding £3 million to our pot, or at least however much has been allocated for reinvestment in the team. We know we've made a £1m+ bid for a player who almost came here in this window, so I have no concern that money is available. But rather than try to cling on to Bridcutt and probably just drag it out until January 31st, the best thing for our hopes this season is to cash in on him and use the money to get at least two good signings in.

Great post. All the above

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here