Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

8 days left in the transfer window. Striker, Centre Half, Centre midfielder all required..

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I wouldn't be worried if we don't sign a defender. Dunk can step up to the role of first reserve and we still have Calderon who can cover there in an emergency, plus the option of a loan signing at any point.

Ideally, we need a striker who can play out wide, much like Barnes did. There is no point in spending money on a striker who leads the line and plays up against the opposition centre backs, as that is Ulloa's job and we won't find anyone better than him. So we'd just be signing someone to sit on the bench. We need someone who is capable of playing as the lead striker if Ulloa is out, but can still start games alongside him because they are suited to playing wide or in the hole behind him. That signing is the only one I would consider a must.

The second most important position to fill is central midfield, as we have lost Crofts and will probably lose Bridcutt. We can still make up the numbers here with the likes of Andrews and Agustien, but if we're relying on them then we will probably have to accept they are going to be a step down in quality from the form of Crofts this season and Bridcutt last season.

Ultimately, the key to everything is selling Bridcutt and adding £3 million to our pot, or at least however much has been allocated for reinvestment in the team. We know we've made a £1m+ bid for a player who almost came here in this window, so I have no concern that money is available. But rather than try to cling on to Bridcutt and probably just drag it out until January 31st, the best thing for our hopes this season is to cash in on him and use the money to get at least two good signings in.

Yup, agree with that. I still think CMS can have a go at a wide/supporting role once fit, but am not counting on that this season.

D

Deleted member 22389

I wouldn't be worried if we don't sign a defender. Dunk can step up to the role of first reserve and we still have Calderon who can cover there in an emergency, plus the option of a loan signing at any point.

Ideally, we need a striker who can play out wide, much like Barnes did. There is no point in spending money on a striker who leads the line and plays up against the opposition centre backs, as that is Ulloa's job and we won't find anyone better than him. So we'd just be signing someone to sit on the bench. We need someone who is capable of playing as the lead striker if Ulloa is out, but can still start games alongside him because they are suited to playing wide or in the hole behind him. That signing is the only one I would consider a must.

The second most important position to fill is central midfield, as we have lost Crofts and will probably lose Bridcutt. We can still make up the numbers here with the likes of Andrews and Agustien, but if we're relying on them then we will probably have to accept they are going to be a step down in quality from the form of Crofts this season and Bridcutt last season.

Ultimately, the key to everything is selling Bridcutt and adding £3 million to our pot, or at least however much has been allocated for reinvestment in the team. We know we've made a £1m+ bid for a player who almost came here in this window, so I have no concern that money is available. But rather than try to cling on to Bridcutt and probably just drag it out until January 31st, the best thing for our hopes this season is to cash in on him and use the money to get at least two good signings in.

That's right, nothing is going to happen until Bridcutt has been sold in my opinion. CMS is coming back, Hoskins is coming back, that's the Barnes problem solved. Dunk, that's the El Abd problem solved.
All we need is a replacement for Crofts.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Striker definately required.

Central midfielder next priority ( maybe half season loan )

If any cash left we need a wide midfielder.

And finally we need to make the pennies stretch to get in a central defender.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I almost always get to the end of a transfer window feeling underwhelmed with the Albion and I don't see this one being any different.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
There's a scouting system in place to indentify possible targets.

The answer is most likely all of those people with the exception of Bloom who is spending his time running his businesses rather than trawling through videos of players.

It's not a one man job, the idea is they all work together. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.

You need to remind yourself regularly that we have a whole range of age and IQ on NSC, and often its those people at the bottom of each scale post the most drivel.

D

Deleted member 22389

Striker definately required.

Central midfielder next priority ( maybe half season loan )

If any cash left we need a wide midfielder.

And finally we need to make the pennies stretch to get in a central defender.

CMS is coming back and so is Hoskins. We spent a lot of money on these players. May be the club are looking at this way to get them fit first.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Will we sign any?!?!
Hmmmmm... I have a few doubts thats for sure. I suspect we may have to settle for numbers 3 or 4 on our priority recruitment target lists.... something seems to be turning the top targets away from us.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
There's a scouting system in place to indentify possible targets.

The answer is most likely all of those people with the exception of Bloom who is spending his time running his businesses rather than trawling through videos of players.

It's not a one man job, the idea is they all work together. I'm not sure why people don't understand this.
Stupid is as stupid does.

D

Deleted member 22389

Hmmmmm... I have a few doubts thats for sure. I suspect we may have to settle for numbers 3 or 4 on our priority recruitment target lists.... something seems to be turning the top targets away from us.

Money and more money.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
CMS is coming back and so is Hoskins. We spent a lot of money on these players. May be the club are looking at this way to get them fit first.

Big problem with this is that we have no idea if CMS has lost his pace and Hoskins has proved to be very fragile, massive gamble to be relying on either of them driving our promotion push. I am confident we will sign others and if CMS and Hoskins hit form, it will be a bonus.

I believe things will move very quickly once Bridcutt and possibly Buckley's future is determined. Worst case scenario is that we have Bridcutt back in midfield ( which is a good thing surely) and we make use of Buckley, when and if he is fit.

Either way it's not a disaster and we will remain competitive, if not table toppers.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

If only we could guarantee their fitness ! Each just one set back from being out for the rest of the season, and the risk of this isn't insignificant. The window shuts in 8 days, what if they ( or Ulloa ) get crocked on day 9 ???

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yup, agree with that. I still think CMS can have a go at a wide/supporting role once fit, but am not counting on that this season.

We all see different things, but I can't see CMS being able to play anywhere other than as an out and out centre forward. I honestly don't think his touch, distribution and general awareness are good enough to play either wide or behind a striker as a no.10. To me, he is a quintessential fox in the box instinctive striker, I just don't see the wider skills in his armoury to be able to play other roles for the team.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
We all see different things, but I can't see CMS being able to play anywhere other than as an out and out centre forward. I honestly don't think his touch, distribution and general awareness are good enough to play either wide or behind a striker as a no.10. To me, he is a quintessential fox in the box instinctive striker, I just don't see the wider skills in his armoury to be able to play other roles for the team.

Well I see your point, but I think he is an intelligent footballer and should be given a chance to adapt. We won't be changing the formation so him either in behind Ulloa or more likely to one of the front 3, but not the Ulloa role as he has shown that this is not his best position, even though he was scoring there (but not as prolifically as he has done before).

I see our formation of 433 as a very flexible one, where the front 3 should all be able to score and rotate positions if required. Buckley is the only one who scores regularly when playing "out wide" as it were, but only when he is fit and CMS or indeed Hoskins are the only other 2 who can score regularly given the chance. But you can play 433 without a traditional winger as Barnes did effectively and I don't see a reason why CMS cannot do the same. He could also play as part of the midfield 3, but we have to go very defensive with the other 2 midfielders as he is no Crofts.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I almost always get to the end of a transfer window feeling underwhelmed with the Albion and I don't see this one being any different.

Seriously?

We're you underwhelmed in August 2011 when we signed CMS, Hoskins, KLL, Buckley and Vicente? Or summer 2012 when we signed Bridge, TK, Orlandi and Spanish Dave? Or last January when we signed Upson and splashed out 2m on Ulloa?

We are not Chelsea or Man City.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
And a winger. We have two, both of whom are injury prone.

While you're right, I think this is less pressing that the striker/centre midfielder/centre back.

We do look devoid of pace without a fit KLL/Buckley. If it's just a few games cover, rather than the rest of the season then I think Solly March might be able to step up. From the little I've seen I've been very impressed. On that not Monakana may be a development squad signing, but he's got a good 60 odd first team appearances under his belt for Preston/Colchester so might be a little more ready, physically speaking.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
While you're right, I think this is less pressing that the striker/centre midfielder/centre back.

We do look devoid of pace without a fit KLL/Buckley. If it's just a few games cover, rather than the rest of the season then I think Solly March might be able to step up. From the little I've seen I've been very impressed. On that not Monakana may be a development squad signing, but he's got a good 60 odd first team appearances under his belt for Preston/Colchester so might be a little more ready, physically speaking.

It is the rest of the season though, isn't it? Buckley and Kaz can't go 3-4 games without getting injured. We are VERY short on wingers.

D

Deleted member 22389

I don't think we will get anyone in untill Bridcutt goes. That is my opinion.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here