Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

63rd minute applause for Patrick Knockaert

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Why don't we just show our usual adulation of his many talents ? I'm sure he'd appreciate that like he always does.

The minutes applause idea is in danger of losing its meaning now.

As it should IMO. Isn't as provoking or powerful as a minutes silence and has been devalued by the power of social media.

No offence to the young Villa chap who tragically passed away but surely they should save any payment of respect for their closest home game to the event?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry, but I won't be joining in. It's getting to be almost every game where we are asked to do this now.

I go to football to watch Brighton, not commemorate the lives of people that I don't know.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The Grief Saturation Point seems to have been reached.

A little late in my opinion, but we've got there now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Not for me, this is just getting silly.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Sorry, but I won't be joining in. It's getting to be almost every game where we are asked to do this now.

I go to football to watch Brighton, not commemorate the lives of people that I don't know.

I have to agree with you. This is all becoming very silly.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There's an article in the Argus today, quoting Knockaert's old French coach, who was a colleague, when his brother died.

“He needs to free himself of his emotions for a while and the only place he can do that is on the football pitch.

Imo, any applause etc, will distract him and remind him of his emotions, so could have a detrimental effect.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
My Albion mug got broken at work last week, had it 22 months, please can we do a round of applause on 22 mins?

Funny you should say that as this happened this morning:

4s1h8l.jpg

I wouldn't want to intrude on your minute's applause so I think another minute's applause on the 47th minute (I'm 47) would be a nice touch. On second thoughts, 2 minute's applause might be more fitting. Or maybe a minute's applause and then a minute's silence.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Would it not be an idea to follow Southampton in that on the closest home game to 11 November as well as the poppies all supporters who have passed away during the last 12 months are remembered with names on the scene.

We then can remember those that we knew and also avoid this silly minutes silence or applause every game.

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Would it not be an idea to follow Southampton in that on the closest home game to 11 November as well as the poppies all supporters who have passed away during the last 12 months are remembered with names on the scene.

We then can remember those that we knew and also avoid this silly minutes silence or applause every game.

That's far too sensible a suggestion. But yes we should

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
If we applaud for 90 mins, then stay on afterwards and applaud for an extra 10 mins or so, I'm fairly confident we can nail this.

Sorry, not a fan of the applauding, prefer silence and reflection.

Postman Pat

Jul 24, 2007
Coldean

4s1h8l.jpg

I wouldn't want to intrude on your minute's applause so I think another minute's applause on the 47th minute (I'm 47) would be a nice touch. On second thoughts, 2 minute's applause might be more fitting. Or maybe a minute's applause and then a minute's silence.

Sorry for your loss.... Maybe we should set up some sort of support group? Maybe a Facebook message to support those with broken mugs? I blame brexit.

4s1h8l.jpg

Thoughts with you and your family there mate.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I know we willingly joined in with the applause for the young Preston kid too, but it's starting to happen every week now. I've no wish to be unsympathetic, and I have every respect for people's feelings in such circumstances, but where does it end? Statistically, people associated with every club must die ever week, and I'm not sure how or where we draw the line now.

Was having this conversation with a guy at work who said, "At this rate, an hour before the match they'll give out a team-sheet and an order of service".

It is getting silly. The recent low was surely Palace giving Souare a minute's applause for a broken leg!

I'm totally sympathetic to Knockaert for his loss and will, in the age old fashion, be singing his name with a bit more gusto. That's just natural and, therefore, heartfelt and meaningful. The rest is becoming increasingly insincere through over-use and risks devaluing the impact of genuine marks of respect (which almost always ought to be a minute's silence anyway - if people can't shut up even for a minute, they really don't give much of a toss).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here