Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] 50,000 New Customs Officers

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
Starting salary for a Border Force Officer would appear to be £23k. https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/border-force-officer

The cost to the employer of a £23k employee must be at least £30k including NI and pension contributions, etc.

So more like £1.15 billion per year (assuming they all stay permanently on the starting salary, and they all agree to work from home...)

They'll all need a computer, desk, stapler, Post-it notes, etc too...

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Starting salary for a Border Force Officer would appear to be £23k. https://nationalcareers.service.gov.uk/job-profiles/border-force-officer

The cost to the employer of a £23k employee must be at least £30k including NI and pension contributions, etc.

So more like £1.15 billion per year (assuming they all stay permanently on the starting salary, and they all agree to work from home...)

But the income tax and national insurance they pay is going back into the state system. Also if this results in 50,000 fewer people on job seekers allowance (I'm not suggesting that all the positions will be filled by currently unemployed people but rather that in very simple terms 50,000 more jobs in the country should result in 50,000 fewer unemployed) then that's another saving.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I assume the need for 50,000 new customs officers was mentioned in the oven ready deal along with all the extra red tape that the customs checks will bring.
Don't forget that some of these new customs officers will be needed for checks between GB and NI whatever Johnson and Gove say.

So £1bn and counting that could have been spent on the NHS.

I'm also waiting for the announcement that it has not be possible to fill all 50,000 vacancies and that customs officers now get a bonus 20 points on the immigration points systems.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Truth no longer appears to matter. If you are in government say what you are told. Work out the rest later. Crazy times.

Eventually reality will hit us, in the same way eventually a fly buzzing merrily along the inside lane of the M40 will be hit by the windshield of an HGV.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Truth no longer appears to matter. If you are in government say what you are told. Work out the rest later. Crazy times.

Well precisely!!!

what is important is that the soundbite hits the masses, so that everyone who voted to get Brexit ,done can feel like their fears about immigration are being taken seriously.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
50,000 customs officers :lolol:

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
It's ironic that Maggie Thatcher introduced the Single Market to the EU, so that money on customs officers could be saved. She axed over 6,000 of them.

Yes but Thatchers Voters wern't - Elderly Voters on State pensions and going two holidays per year in Spain needing expediency through Customs. Nor were they Long Term Benefit Claimers looking to try restrict Migration so that their Children also on long term benefits could get a Council House easier (Also paid for by State Benefits).

Boris Johnson has sold his ''Conservative Soul'' in the pursuit of Power.

There is a conflict of interest which lies await for him in the next 5 years and he will sell his soul again at the drop of a hat. Those who voted for him for the first time in the North of England are too blind to see that what they needed to vote for Jeremy Corbyn if they wanted their needs met. So as far as I am concerned they will get their just deserts in the coming 5 years.

The only plus point being that another 50K will have jobs as Customs Officials - The down side being those who need to wait in massive queues to enter and leave the UK. As for me - My Dad is Irish so i will be applying for a second Irish passport shortly so that I can whizz past all of you Brexit Voters as I land on continental Europe. And use my UK passport as I land back in the UK.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
They'll all need a computer, desk, stapler, Post-it notes, etc too...

eraser_PNG10.png

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

Crazy indeed. The most incredible thing about these incredible times, is that across swathes of the Western world, not just the UK, majorities of an electorate will enthusiastically elect someone they know (or must surely very strongly suspect), that everything they are saying isn't true.

In any other era, a proven, documented and consistent and record of lying would carry an enormous electoral penalty. The genius of Trump is to be the first major western politician to realise that truth no longer necessary to get elected. The others are following his lead.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I was using his numbers... which do seem likely to be a bit short of the mark to me. I would guess it is more likely to cost twice that to employ even a basic Customs Officer.... and that could still be way off. Either way, it's not really a big deal when put up against the scale of public spending.

So, £34k a year for a Customs Officer...… where do I apply ?

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Will be a marketing exercise to change the current Border Force Officers to Customs Officers and a 100 new hires.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I might see if my parish council would like a Customs Officer.

In fairness being a West Sussex PARISH council, they'll be right up for employing someone to 'foreigners out'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Fortunately this new cost will only be a minor irritation compared to the huge Brexit Dividend we'll be enjoying from 2021.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Imagine still being thick enough to think all of this was a good idea. :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here