Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] 5 year deal reported.....

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I stand by my opinion that Potter has no interest at all in that job at his stage in life, but I would love it Kevin Keegan style if he walked out on Chelsea in December to take it

Going to Chelsea has squashed any chance at all that he'll be England manager any time soon.

You should have made that REMF bet offer on whether Potter was still here at the end of January, rather than where he went :wink:

I still wouldn't have taken it. Credited him with a little more loyalty than that but hey ho.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Literally means nothing though does it?

A 5 year contract even if GP was on 100k p/w would only be a 25m pay out, it’s nothing to the likes of the Chelsea owners, doesn’t show any commitment it’s just a worthless contract, at least Potter knows when he’s sacked after a year he’ll have a mahooosive pay out.

This is a risk for Chelsea as well, Potter has never managed a squad of big ego high profile players.

For that money. I would take the risk (if I was potter)

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Without wishing to pick on you, lots of people have been talking about Chelsea's hire-and-fire strategy despite there being absolutely no indication whether Boehly will continue in the same way Abramovich operates.

People may point to Tuchel's rapid sacking, but he was a manager inherited from the old regime and it seems the relationship has never been good. It's certainly not enough to suggest that Chelsea will continue to go through managers like the Tory party go through leaders.

Possibly the best clue comes from Boehly's ownership of the Dodgers, where Dave Roberts is currently the third-longest serving manager in baseball. That certainly doesn't suggest a lack of patience.

Without wishing to pick on you Bozza, the Dodgers have been doing very well the past few years. Since Roberts took over their results NL West finishes have been:

2016: 1st
2017: 1st - reached World Series final
2018: 1st - reached World Series final
2019: 1st
2020: 1st - won World Series
2021: 2nd - still qualified for play offs via Wild Card

Additionally, prior to Roberts taking over they've finished first in the NL West for the past 3 years.

The concern with Potter at Chelsea is if he fails to deliver results will he be given time to turn things around. I guess the answer is we don't know, but look at the Dodgers doesn't tell us anything other than Boehly is used to winning.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
Without wishing to pick on you, lots of people have been talking about Chelsea's hire-and-fire strategy despite there being absolutely no indication whether Boehly will continue in the same way Abramovich operates.

People may point to Tuchel's rapid sacking, but he was a manager inherited from the old regime and it seems the relationship has never been good. It's certainly not enough to suggest that Chelsea will continue to go through managers like the Tory party go through leaders.

Possibly the best clue comes from Boehly's ownership of the Dodgers, where Dave Roberts is currently the third-longest serving manager in baseball. That certainly doesn't suggest a lack of patience.

I would suggest that all top clubs have a hire and fire policy in terms of all staff (not just managers). You seem to be suggesting that Chelsea would be prepared to sit lower mid table for 3 years while Potter gets rid of players who don't have the mentality or skill levels he requires. This is possible but unlikely I think.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
About time we had a single thread (or one for Potter and one for the new Wizard Elect)....don't really need a new one every time another snippet of news leaks out :shrug:

el punal

Only a decent, loyal manager would honour their deal.

Don’t be naive. In football the only people who are loyal are the fans, the others are employers or employees - as is in any other work establishment. Graham Potter has gone to further his career, whether he succeeds or not is debatable.

Billy in Bristol

Mar 25, 2004
Bristol

This...and worth pointing out that Dave Roberts hadn't managed before this appointment. Potter fits the Boehly strategy he will have patience if he sees the plan being stuck to. The fans won't and that is where the future tensions lie. Anyway not our problem... I am gutted in an football sense but alas loads of business problems to focus on.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
This...and worth pointing out that Dave Roberts hadn't managed before this appointment. Potter fits the Boehly strategy he will have patience if he sees the plan being stuck to. The fans won't and that is where the future tensions lie. Anyway not our problem... I am gutted in an football sense but alas loads of business problems to focus on.

Read Post #23, no patience was required on Boehly's part

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Bit peevish, that.

And too soon.

Nah, I disagree ... he's provisionally taken the money and glory... he's simply a Gus zero... make no mistake the ruthless ambition was there all along, he just chose not to broadcast it. I'm not so sure that's any better really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nah, I disagree ... he's provisionally taken the money and glory... he's simply a Gus zero... make no mistake the ruthless ambition was there all along, he just chose not to broadcast it. I'm not so sure that's any better really.

He’s pissed me off but he is no Gus FFS :smile:

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
He’s pissed me off but he is no Gus FFS :smile:

Like I say he's the acceptable face of Gus, the quiet smouldering ambition, choosing to leave the club in a big pile of poo right before a game we might well lose allowing his new club to catch us up... I'd say that's very Gus.

The difference is he recognises the value of saying the right things.

Like you say, if were entitled to be a bit pissed off... then surely it's today.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Maybe he'll honour this one :)

Technically he has honoured the terms of his contract which said he was free to talk to another club if they matched the compensation clause in the deal.

Yes it hurts that he’s going but we all knew this day was going to come.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Woah!

Crikey.

Tough crowd!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Yes, flat in The Drove, he also was a midweek game regular.Standing under the North East floodlights paying his money to get in rather than asking for a Comp in the West Stand.

Dave Sexton played for us and was a very talented player. If memory serves me correct scored a wonder goal with overhead kick.
Whilst a player he lived in Amberley Drive, Hove, A’s did I. Played football with his son who sadly took his life a few years ago
Last saw Dave Sexton when he was manager of Man U who were playing at Portman Road. Had a nice chat with him..

GrizzlingGammon

Dec 15, 2018
With all the spending they're doing, long term contracts are probably needed to spread the costs across several financial years to beat FFP.

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
I don't actually think Tuchel was ever the long term manager post take over - I thinks Potter was always their man.

The latest champions league result was the trigger to get it done now early, they are bringing in a DOF so indicates Potter and a long term strategy is Chelsea's way forward

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here