Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 5 subs instead of 3 - will this change tactics?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I'm fairly sure they won't be available for us to use, no matter when the German season finishes (their registration will be for St Pauli through the end of the <UEFA 2019-20> season).

No, the loans end at a set date, not at end of a competition and no concept like the "UEFA 2019-20 season", except for continental play.

If the loan deals are to continue, both of the clubs and the player need to agree to it before June 30 (when most loan deals end).

I dont know if that would make them available though (not sure about the details of PL registration rules). Either way I doubt any of them would get any minutes this season (unless there is a massive injury crisis), it would be quite odd to just throw them into the fire like that in a presumably very pressured situation.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
No, the loans end at a set date, not at end of a competition and no concept like the "UEFA 2019-20 season", except for continental play.

If the loan deals are to continue, both of the clubs and the player need to agree to it before June 30 (when most loan deals end).

I dont know if that would make them available though (not sure about the details of PL registration rules). Either way I doubt any of them would get any minutes this season (unless there is a massive injury crisis), it would be quite odd to just throw them into the fire like that in a presumably very pressured situation.

The point is, the lads are registered to FC St Pauli and will be until the next transfer window opens, which will be after the end of the Premier League season.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Of course I havent missed virus. Still dont understand how players who were at height of fitness 8 weeks ago are now not 100% fit. That is 5/6 weeks of keeping in trim at home and then 4 weeks at training ground. Not expecting a call up but I am after daily walking fitter now.

Match fitness is very different to general fitness. And there will be more soft tissue injuries as already highlighted and evidenced in the Bundesliga.

I’m still really unsure about Project Restart but I do think this is a sensible change if it is going to go ahead.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
West Ham, Norwich, Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd are the 4 teams who voted against this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've heard he's now fully recovered from his injury. He won't be 'match fit' but, then again, now will anyone. The big question is whether he's still got that pace and rapid change of direction. I fear for him on those fronts, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

He's not in any of the gallery pics from recent training sessions that are up on the website as far as I can see.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I think he was returning from Columbia about a week ago, and you'd imagine that he's in quarantine at the moment.
Colombia seems to have extended its border closure and ban on international flights until September 1st.

I don't think he'll be able to come back until next season.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
West Ham, Norwich, Bournemouth and Sheffield Utd are the 4 teams who voted against this.

Not sure about West Ham, but I'm pretty sure the other three rely on a core team rather than full squad of like ability players. Understandable for the two promoted teams I would think.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Not sure about West Ham, but I'm pretty sure the other three rely on a core team rather than full squad of like ability players. Understandable for the two promoted teams I would think.
Also, Sheff Utd and Bournemouth do not have U23 teams in PL2, while West Ham and Norwich are in PL2 div2 ( with Norwich 2nd from bottom of that league ).

Jimmy Grimble

Just another blow to the integrity of this season. It’s really not the same league we started in August.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Just another blow to the integrity of this season. It’s really not the same league we started in August.
I agree, but it is what it is, and we have to go along with it.

Albion simply have to ensure that they are one of the teams that benefits from the drop in integrity.

Having greater consistency in depth, and better U23s will, with luck, give us an edge over the teams below us.

Last edited:

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
There was a question mark mooted over whether Ben White would be recalled at 30th June which was firmly quashed by Potter. But he didn't say we couldn't, which suggests if we wanted him back to play as a under age player, we could.
Ben White's too old to be counted as an U21 for the Premier League - he was born in October 1997, before this season's cutoff of 1 January 1998.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here