Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4400 Arsenal at The Amex

Jimmy Grimble

Cup game,allocation is 15% of capacity.

Yes, I know. That's why I said I find it annoying we HAVE to give them such a big allocation.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Should be quite a spectacle. I think they are into scarf twirling.

How many times have there been more than 4400 away fans at a Brighton home game?

Southampton in 1986. Any since then. Presumably not many before about 1970?

Teams that have done it in my direct experience...

Definitely:Palace, Pompey, Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham, Southampton, Norwich...

Very likely:West Ham, Liverpool, Millwall, Leeds

Might have done?Port Vale, Fulham, Man City, Man Utd, Bournemouth,

Others will know much better. Bound to have missed a couple or more obvious ones...

4400? Hope they don't have any special powers or abilities!

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
You're right, it was October 1978. I can't find an on-line record of the attendance but remember it was one of the biggest of that era. 32,000 rings a bell. We lost 2-1.
I was 13 and at that time, stood in the south. I remember loads of West Ham in there and sure enough, it kicked-off. Some of us ended up on the pitch trying to escape the West Ham menace.

West ham were on the pitch trying to escape is more the truth

Jan 30, 2008
Thanks for the confirmation about the attendance. Grim news indeed. 80 arrests is a huge number for a football match, even back then.
I remember it as one of the worst in terms of violence at the Goldstone but I hadn't realised that someone had died. Just awful.
Really , West ham could easly get 100 odd arrests at upton park in that era
regards
DR

Jan 30, 2008
You may well be right DR but it's still a very high number. I don't remember many other games at The Goldstone in which there were more. Chelsea and Tottenham perhaps?
In respect to the Goldstone, yes I agree with you on that one,as you probably know fri nights in town were just , if not not more of a flash point
regards
DR

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Not as many as we took to Selhurst when we were given their then main end which now has a supermarket on it

The supermarket is built on the Whitehorse end which was always where away fans stood, the home end has always been the Holmesdale. However, in the bad old/good old days there was never much effort made to segregate and the inevitable fights broke out.

Jan 30, 2008
The supermarket is built on the Whitehorse end which was always where away fans stood, the home end has always been the Holmesdale. However, in the bad old/good old days there was never much effort made to segregate and the inevitable fights broke out.
some of your lot brazenley walked onto the whitehorse terrace one year and they made a speedy exit , remember one year when Brighton were in the Holmsedale ,scattered you then got run out onto the pitch
regards
DR

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Watch out for aliens...

Attachments

• header.0.jpg
    header.0.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 123

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports