Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4400 Arsenal at The Amex

westy

Jul 25, 2003
I was thinking that - all of the ground expansions were already completed by then weren't they?

Exactly. Pretty easy to answer OP: Last time we played Arsenal.

Edit: North East was open but not North West, that will obviously allow for a bigger home/away attendance.

Last edited:

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Port Vale brought loads to the Goldstone that time they got promoted. I seem to remember Birmingham used to bring a lot down too.

Bizarrely I rmember Vale brought 5500. Don't ask me how, but John Rudges army arrived at the goldstone in their hoardes or a promotion party. So Arsenal got some catching up to do if they're to mix it with the big away followings ;)

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Remember that, though not sure it was that many to be honest. They invaded the pitch and headed to where we were in the North, everyone was expecting it to kick off and all that happened was a load of handshakes.

When was it, 93/94?

Just done a little research! 7th May 1994 and the crowd was over 15,000. Maybe they did bring that many, afterall!

Sorry, just read but yes see my reply above. Vale are definitely bigger than Arsenal. It was some sight that day!

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Bizarrely I rmember Vale brought 5500. Don't ask me how, but John Rudges army arrived at the goldstone in their hoardes or a promotion party. So Arsenal got some catching up to do if they're to mix it with the big away followings ;)
That figure rings a bell, I think you're right.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
You're right, it was October 1978. I can't find an on-line record of the attendance but remember it was one of the biggest of that era. 32,000 rings a bell. We lost 2-1.
I was 13 and at that time, stood in the south. I remember loads of West Ham in there and sure enough, it kicked-off. Some of us ended up on the pitch trying to escape the West Ham menace.

From Tim Carder's book: Attd was 32,634. 80 arrests and a 72 yr old supporter died after being crushed on the east terrace.

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
From Tim Carder's book: Attd was 32,634. 80 arrests and a 72 yr old supporter died after being crushed on the east terrace.

Thanks for the confirmation about the attendance. Grim news indeed. 80 arrests is a huge number for a football match, even back then.
I remember it as one of the worst in terms of violence at the Goldstone but I hadn't realised that someone had died. Just awful.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
chelsea & spurs for sure,probably pompey night match (4-0)

saints & palace probably just shy of that total (but good turn outs)

man utd first season in old div 1 very posssibly

Feb 14, 2010
Surprised Leeds not mentioned. They had the entire east terrace when they were promoted under Howard Wilkinson. They had as many locked out. Other than that, Chelsea had the entire East in the late 80s as did Arsenal. Biggest away turn outs by a long way that I can remember.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
chelsea & spurs for sure,probably pompey night match (4-0)

saints & palace probably just shy of that total (but good turn outs)

man utd first season in old div 1 very posssibly
Southampton FA Cup QF in 1986 I'm guessing they had 5-6K. Palace claim to have brought a massive following 5-7K in the early days of the rivalry (pre-Challis).

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Southampton FA Cup QF in 1986 I'm guessing they had 5-6K. Palace claim to have brought a massive following 5-7K in the early days of the rivalry (pre-Challis).

yeah possibly opening day of the season (1-0 Mellor)

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Surprised Leeds not mentioned. They had the entire east terrace when they were promoted under Howard Wilkinson. They had as many locked out. Other than that, Chelsea had the entire East in the late 80s as did Arsenal. Biggest away turn outs by a long way that I can remember.
Leeds were mentioned in OP. I remember them doing a Mexican Wave on the East Terrace and singing "worst support we've ever seen" at the North Stand...

Feb 14, 2010
Leeds were mentioned in OP. I remember them doing a Mexican Wave on the East Terrace and singing "worst support we've ever seen" at the North Stand...

I was at the game and I dont remember that. In fact that song is far more recent than that. I remember they walked in doing the Roman salute singing Leeds, Leeds, Leeds, as they did when they got a corner. It was 1-1 I think. Crumplin equalised and Football Genius sung for almost the first time not as a joke. They invaded the pitch, and the fences were still on the North. Fighting down the front and trouble all weekend in town. As for numbers, Leeds brought way more than 10,000 but not all got in. I think Chelsea and Arsenal had more in the ground at their games in the late 80's but Leeds brought more in total. It was like Zulu, "Its Leeds Sir, thousands of em"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here