Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

40 something Goldstone Northstanders does anyone know what happened to John Saw/Sore?

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Not seen him for a while but decent enough guy who stood out and thus attracted the attention of OB at matches and, I'm guessing, that seemed to put him off as he just wanted to enjoy the day.

Wasn't his brother involved in an incident at the then Green Dragon?

swervy_123

Dec 2, 2009
brighton
Not seen him for a while but decent enough guy who stood out and thus attracted the attention of OB at matches and, I'm guessing, that seemed to put him off as he just wanted to enjoy the day.

yes his name was dave, i went to school with them both . he was agood lad but lost the plot . john loved his football nice to see his face sgain on here last saw him about 3years ago

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing

I was quite good friends with John at the time & really liked him but have to say the reason he attracted the OB was his habit of laying into the first opposing fan he set his eyes on!!

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
I often travelled with John to away games and can confirm he attracted the attention of OB by being generally pissed up and trying to scrap with the away fans. I went on a few trips to Holland/Belgium etc with him too, he was a good laugh. Last I heard, he'd come back for a few months to earn some money but then had gone off travelling again.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Seem to recall he worked for BR, as I don't know why else I'd have known him.

I thought it was the League Cup we had to win to get his hair cut. The pledge came after the game against Derby at the Goldstone from memory, or certainly in that year.

He was certainly a "character"!

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Seem to recall he worked for BR, as I don't know why else I'd have known him.

I thought it was the League Cup we had to win to get his hair cut. The pledge came after the game against Derby at the Goldstone from memory, or certainly in that year.

He was certainly a "character"!

He did work for BR - in their Croydon offices (ironic). He had his hair cut short before he went travelling.

seaguller

Oct 1, 2011
Brighton
Those photos brought back some memories.
Good days, what I can remember of them.
The last time I saw the Albion play at the Goldstone was late '85, I think. Kept on with the away games for a while after that, but got fed up with the whole football thing. Times changed & I didn't, maybe I should of got my hair trimmed earlier & cut down on the alcohol intake, but where's the fun in that?
So, instead of trying to visit all 92 league grounds, I set off to try & visit all the countries in the world. Ran out of money with 20 left to see & have been back in Brighton for a year now.
Friends keep trying to get me out to the Amex, but I just don't fancy it, it's all so different to the late '70's/early '80's. So I make do with cheering the lads on, via my radio, from the comfort of my armchair & wandering up for a few pints in the evening around Brighton station.
Good to know that some of the "old faces" are still out there.
See you for a beer one day.
John
P.S. Ernest that was 7 or 8 years ago that I saw you, not "a couple of years". Tempus fugit.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Those photos brought back some memories.
Good days, what I can remember of them.
The last time I saw the Albion play at the Goldstone was late '85, I think. Kept on with the away games for a while after that, but got fed up with the whole football thing. Times changed & I didn't, maybe I should of got my hair trimmed earlier & cut down on the alcohol intake, but where's the fun in that?
So, instead of trying to visit all 92 league grounds, I set off to try & visit all the countries in the world. Ran out of money with 20 left to see & have been back in Brighton for a year now.
Friends keep trying to get me out to the Amex, but I just don't fancy it, it's all so different to the late '70's/early '80's. So I make do with cheering the lads on, via my radio, from the comfort of my armchair & wandering up for a few pints in the evening around Brighton station.
Good to know that some of the "old faces" are still out there.
See you for a beer one day.
John
P.S. Ernest that was 7 or 8 years ago that I saw you, not "a couple of years". Tempus fugit.

Was it really that long ? Blimey, nice to know you're keeping well though

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
John, make that Amex trip.

You were watching Albion at a time football was in decline, grounds were crumbling, every game was a battle with opposing fans or the OB and, although there were fun times, I'd not swap the 80's for now.

The Amex is great, it's buzzing and it's ours The team (if you forget the last week or so) have tremendous talent and Gus, well, what can I say?

Today's football may not be for you but I think you should take a look at where Albion are now and you'd probably be amazed at how many old faces you bump into too!

Al Bion

What's that in my dustbin
Sep 3, 2004
Up North
Great to hear from you John, not sure you would really like it out the Amex, it is a completely different world than that of being a football fan in the late 70's/early 80's but guess I now accept it as the new normal, probably a good thing as none of us are getting any younger. Bet you've got some crazy tales to tell from all your travels, really hope you manage to knock off those last 20 countries and hopefully I'll bump into you somewhere for a pint and a catchup.
Julie

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Hi John. I was thinking about you last week as I read about the nightmare of Albion fans having to take the abuse from Palarse supporting workmates. How you could have suffered working amongst the enemy in Croydon in the late 70's is beyond me. Must have been stomach wrenching. The pics of you and Paul Jane brought memories flooding back of meeting up with you, Paul, Tony Sage and others at that pub near London Road station. Travelling to away games. I bumped into Paul again in the Duke of Wellington when I came down to visit my mum in Lewes and for the Blackpool game in August. Like you I did a bit of travelling but only in the UK. I settled in Scotland in 1983 after the cup final. Me and the BHAlbas do get to some games. Maybe next time I'm down for a visit we could have a beer. All the best. Kip Collins.

Dinky Di

May 16, 2010
N.S.W
Ah Mr Soire, good to hear of your continued existence, I recall you had your hair cut at a dodgy place near Victoria Station and the barber wasn't too chuffed at having various oiks laughing at his handywork. How many countries you up to now?

Mr Tuite

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
gron2.jpg

Now I see Mr Tuite has got involved , here are some more old piccies featuring the legend and his followers

Dinky Di

May 16, 2010
N.S.W
What was the story behind the flag? I vaguely recall we found it somewhere after it had been discarded? Threadbare and on the nose?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Jeez, I recognise too many old faces from those pics.

Gary Balchin
Dave Clark (defected to Millwall?)
Julie ?
Neil ?

I think the Eindhoven trip 82 was the ultimate away day from those times. Who went there?

And a few of us played for the Supporters Club in a tournament in Paris in 85(?) Captain was Bennet Dean (programme photographer now) and I think we lost to Ajax on pens in the QF.

PG

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here