Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4.1% Rail Fare Increase - January 2014

I appreciate and understand this but it just seems such a major step backwards that we now buy and run such inflexible rolling stock. To not be able to do something which we could easily do 10 years ago is not progress in my mind.

Pretty sure on the news this morning they said the Rail Companies don't buy rolling stock, they lease it.

Probably no relevance at all though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pretty sure on the news this morning they said the Rail Companies don't buy rolling stock, they lease it.

Probably no relevance at all though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23677173

On average, for every £1 spent on a train ticket:

Track and station maintenance 48p

Staffing 17p

Train companies' running costs 17p

Leasing rolling stock 11p

Train fuel 4p

Profit for the train companies 3p

Source: ATOC

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Why? Last year's annual company report from CH records that £188.6M was paid to the Govt in 2012 and £176.3M the previous year.

Any dumbass can make a profit when you do not re-invest which is what is happening on EC.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
So presumably the answer is that we should have stuck with the old rolling stock. You know the ones that were freezing in the winter and boiling in the summer, gave people backache from having no suspension and that you had to open the window to open the door from the outside

Or maybe the solution would have been to insist on a new design of train, one that could handle the once a year demand to be packed full of bikes that could more efficiently be taken by truck. Probably would only have cost a few hundred million

But you know, that is probably the sort of decision that might have been made if the government was still in charge of the railways. The good idea fairy always come calling

Weatherman

Jun 10, 2008
They somehow managed it for a decade or so. Anyway, it's about rising to the challenge and not taking the same attitude as you appear to have. I might take your view if it was not against a back drop of constant throwing in of towels from other challenges.

The trains being used then were the tatty old VEP slam doors - several doors on each coach.
HT - you really are a blathering fool with an opininion on and ( little knowledge of ) everything.
I seem to recall a post where you had got the train to London to do some shopping - can't be that bad then or you would have got the coach.

As for the fares isn't the peak time rise controlled by the government ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The trains being used then were the tatty old VEP slam doors - several doors on each coach.
HT - you really are a blathering fool with an opininion on and ( little knowledge of ) everything.
I seem to recall a post where you had got the train to London to do some shopping - can't be that bad then or you would have got the coach.

As for the fares isn't the peak time rise controlled by the government ?

So what if they were slam door trains then. It is not impossible to buy a train carriage in 2013 that can carry bikes as I use them regularly and for that matter also trams (British built as well) which carry bikes. In fact there was a EU directive in 2007 regarding the mininum requirements for public transport and transportation of bikes. And guess which country which opted out? I know the reasons why what was once easily undertaken cannot now be provided, and just incase I did not Ernest politely provided the reasons. Of course I have an opinion on the absolutely shit railway, most people who use it do. And if you cannot see that UK rail is going backwards then you are the fool....or a railway employee with your snout in the trough.

Oh, and and I think you will find that the current carriages have several door on each coach..so what the **** has this got to do with anything?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
So presumably the answer is that we should have stuck with the old rolling stock.

Do you really just see it as only two options? Either the current rolling stock or the old slam-doors? To answer your question no. Buy new rolling stock with provision for bikes.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Any dumbass can make a profit when you do not re-invest which is what is happening on EC.

I seem to recall Railtrack made the headlines in the immediate years after privatation for making crazy profits...and this was allegedly proof that privatisation worked. Then there was a fatal train crash and it turned out they had not been investing.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The UK has the highest rail fares, incredibly poor punctuality and over-crowding, the most complicated ticketing ever invented (most of which seems to be shrouded in secrecy and to identify the cheapest ticket you need to have the mind of Alan Turing), and when the going gets tough (or in fact just mildly difficult) they roll down the shutters and wave the white flag. And they want a further inflation busting increase. Of course it's a joke.

Agree with all of that BUT let's also remember the days of British Rail.

Seriously, seriously shit.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I seem to recall Railtrack made the headlines in the immediate years after privatation for making crazy profits...and this was allegedly proof that privatisation worked. Then there was a fatal train crash and it turned out they had not been investing.

You are quite correct as stated if you do not re-invest you make big profits however eventually it all comes home to roost in one form or another.

Whoever is brave enough to take on the EC will inherit a run down franchise in need of massive investment just to make it fit for purpose. Whilst spouting off UK or Bob Crow type figures try having a chat with the actual staff who will paint a very different picture.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Pride? We can cope. We'll just shut Preston Park station
A concert at the Amex? No problem. Falmer is now closed to anyone wanting to get on.

Fantastic service. Well worth an inflation busting increase. Never mind their every crappy level of service.

The privatisation chickens are now coming home to roost. The same goes for Thames Water and their proposed £30 a year hike. It really ought to debunk the myth that it doesn't matter whether or not public utilities are in private or public hands. At least if they are publicly run, there are no shareholders to service because the people ARE the shareholders.

Freedom for TOOTING!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
They could really do with introducing a commuter-only season ticket option, strictly Mon-Fri excl. bank holidays. I know you get so many 'free' days on an annual season, something like 350 days for the price of 365 or somesuch, but it would work out cheaper Shirley if you only paid for the days you used within an annual season ticket?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
They could really do with introducing a commuter-only season ticket option, strictly Mon-Fri excl. bank holidays. I know you get so many 'free' days on an annual season, something like 350 days for the price of 365 or somesuch, but it would work out cheaper Shirley if you only paid for the days you used within an annual season ticket?

Why do this when there is a seemingly endless supply of commuters wiling to buy up the current season tickets at eye-watering ever increasing prices? All the time people continue to accept this nothing will change.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Pride? We can cope. We'll just shut Preston Park station
A concert at the Amex? No problem. Falmer is now closed to anyone wanting to get on.

Fantastic service. Well worth an inflation busting increase. Never mind their every crappy level of service.

The privatisation chickens are now coming home to roost. The same goes for Thames Water and their proposed £30 a year hike. It really ought to debunk the myth that it doesn't matter whether or not public utilities are in private or public hands. At least if they are publicly run, there are no shareholders to service because the people ARE the shareholders.

Exactly , labour not blameless bug tories accelerating privatisation of all sorts .

All for personal gain . Britain should mske more of a stand like France

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here