Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

4.1% Rail Fare Increase - January 2014

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Ha I spotted that, the thread starter (4.1% x zero is still zero) turns the thread around to moan about the travel charge by the club, for the 427th time this season

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Hang on,

So Chief Executive Sir David Higgins earns £577,00 and a year, and he's just given him an annual bonus of 160% of that figure? And he's upping the rail cost by 4.1%?

I about ready to start a ****ing riot.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Taking the piss ! Will now cost me nearly £5.5k a year to get to work. Actually considering if its really worth it.

You must be earning a pretty decent salary to be doing that.To hand over that sort of money before starting work is eye watering.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
You must be earning a pretty decent salary to be doing that.To hand over that sort of money before starting work is eye watering.

Pretty decent? Not really. I know of similar commuters on what I assume is a lot less given what they do, who pay the same. Unavoidable unfortunately, without moving closer to London

D

Deleted member 22389

Hang on,

So Chief Executive Sir David Higgins earns £577,00 and a year, and he's just given him an annual bonus of 160% of that figure? And he's upping the rail cost by 4.1%?

Absolutely f**g disgusting. About time this gutless f*(g government got involved here and started doing something for workers in this country.

Monsieur Wabee

Apr 30, 2009
Cowfold
40% increase in 6 years, in which time wages have gone up by 15%.

This, although my wages haven't gone up that much (sadly).

After 12 years of the daily trek to & from London I have just taken the decision to leave my current job. There are several factors for the change (new owners, general restructure, first kid on the way etc) but one of the main reasons is travel costs. Having done the sums over & over again the proposed increase in Jan 2014 would make my situation too harsh to continue. It would be better for me to get a job closer to home, take a slight hit on the pay packet, with the net result being a few more pennies rattling around my pocket on a monthly basis. The other bonus......I get 3 to 4 hours of my life back every day.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Having done the sums over & over again the proposed increase in Jan 2014 would make my situation too harsh to continue. It would be better for me to get a job closer to home, take a slight hit on the pay packet, with the net result being a few more pennies rattling around my pocket on a monthly basis. The other bonus......I get 3 to 4 hours of my life back every day.

This is EXACTLY why I'm currently looking for employment away from London.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I am certainly no expert on railways and those of you with more knowledge than I have please feel free to correct me.
Am I right in thinking that in many other countries with cheaper rail fares,the Governments of those countries subsidise the fares ,but in this country the Government has decided that the cost of travelling on the railways should increasingly be borne by the passengers rather than the general taxpayer?
I heartily sympathise with those who have to pay these high ticket prices,but really don't think that 'the golden age of travel on B.R.' if it ever existed, would have been so golden today.Someone would have had to pay for the major investment that is required.The argument is should it be the general taxpayers or those that use the trains most?

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
That's the trouble - we don't have a choice. I don't own a car and I haven't commuted to work by car since 1996. I just wish the people who DO have cars would use them instead of lazily and selfishly taking up spaces on the trains. How much effort does it take to drive somewhere for crying out loud?

Bit of a strange point of view isn't it?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Hang on,

I can see what David Higgins has done there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
That's the trouble - we don't have a choice. I don't own a car and I haven't commuted to work by car since 1996. I just wish the people who DO have cars would use them instead of lazily and selfishly taking up spaces on the trains. How much effort does it take to drive somewhere for crying out loud?

I presume you're on a fishing trip?

In case you're not, where on EARTH would you expect all of the commuters to park in London?!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Pride? We can cope. We'll just shut Preston Park station
A concert at the Amex? No problem. Falmer is now closed to anyone wanting to get on.

Fantastic service. Well worth an inflation busting increase. Never mind their every crappy level of service.

The privatisation chickens are now coming home to roost. The same goes for Thames Water and their proposed £30 a year hike. It really ought to debunk the myth that it doesn't matter whether or not public utilities are in private or public hands. At least if they are publicly run, there are no shareholders to service because the people ARE the shareholders.

And dont forget the London to Brighton bike ride. When punters need to take their bikes back to London they ban bikes on trains. In fact anything that is remotely outside of the box results in a service or station being totally shut down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here