Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd (Dead Rubber) Test - Eng v NZ at Clean Slate Headingley, Leeds - 11am

Jimmy Grimble

The scoring rate must be so hard to contend with as opposition captain.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Broad gone. Good quick fire 42

Stuart Broad b Southee 42 (36b 6x4 2x6) SR: 116.66

Eng 351/8 lead by 22

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
New Zealand show their class by running to congratulate Bairstow

A team who are just impossible not to really like.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
New Zealand show their class by running to congratulate Bairstow

Great spirit from these two teams. I actually think Broad and Southee exchanged pleasantries after Broad’s wicket, I’m no lip reader but I think Broad said great spell of bowling or great bowling and Southee went ‘well batted mate’.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Leach always looks like a very average spinner to me, I know he got the wickets of the tail in the first innings but let’s be honest they weren’t great balls.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Kiwis having a collapse - 164-5 but Blundell & Mitchell together again.

Could be another exciting finish. :vuvu:

Yep, reckon it could easily be set up as another 300+ run chase. Think TMS said in terms of the difference in runs between innings it's been one of the closest test series in history, think they had to pick out a series from the 1920s for the next comparable. This series has been so far by the team batting second, so runs scored incredibly close:

Lords 1st innings: 141 and 132. 9 runs difference.
Trent Bridge 1st innings: 553 and 539. 14 runs difference.
Headingly 1st innings: 329 and 360. 31 runs difference.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I still can't believe what I'm seeing there. I've watched that loads. I'm not sure whether Holding held back after Bill Alley (who was actually an Australian) warned him. I don't know.

It's incredible that no-one was killed back then, especially with the pace of some of the bowlers close to what we see now. I'm surprised head guards didn't appear earlier. It wasn't a case of men being men, it was stupidity.

I do think that players were hit less because they concentrated more. The helmet brings a sense of security.

As for comments about the days of Boycott and Tavare. That was when I was getting into the game as a kid. The first series I listened to was England in India 1981/82. The dullest series ever. Flat wickets, dodgy umpires and terrible over rates. Yet, 12 years old, I would be up at 5.30, before the paper round at ten to seven, listening to this nauseous bore of a series with excitement and anticipation. Brian Johnson describing the static scene of defensive strokes like it was an artistic comedy, and Henry Blofield talking about everything except the match. Bloody marvelous. So my love affair with the game became a marriage.

This all came from a working class introduction to the game. There is no history of cricket in my family. But I was grateful my Mum indulged it, and she wept at seeing my joy of being given a Sussex membership by her in 1982. My best present ever. 40 years ago, crikey.

Brilliant post and very, very similar to me……..got hooked in when I was about 13/14 (1980ish). Working class, dad only started following after I got interested (we were Somerset at the time as lived nearby and with Viv, ITB and Joel playing they were a good watch). Started playing and watching (and listening - away Ashes on TMS under the bedclothes included) seriously around that time. When not at school and there was a home test on I would set my alarm for 10.55am and watch all day……….waking up to a ‘rain - start delayed’ caption was the worst thing EVER.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brilliant post and very, very similar to me……..got hooked in when I was about 13/14 (1980ish). Working class, dad only started following after I got interested (we were Somerset at the time as lived nearby and with Viv, ITB and Joel playing they were a good watch). Started playing and watching (and listening - away Ashes on TMS under the bedclothes included) seriously around that time. When not at school and there was a home test on I would set my alarm for 10.55am and watch all day……….waking up to a ‘rain - start delayed’ caption was the worst thing EVER.

My obsession affected my school work. According to my English Language report in 1982. The irony being that I have a club blog now with a large readership...

English school report June 1982-

'If Ian had the same interest in this subject as he has in cricket he would make very good progress. He is very careless, lazy, and rarely hands his homework in on time'

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
My obsession affected my school work. According to my English Language report in 1982. The irony being that I have a club blog now with a large readership...

English school report June 1982-

'If Ian had the same interest in this subject as he has in cricket he would make very good progress. He is very careless, lazy, and rarely hands his homework in on time'

Brilliant!

I hated my form tutor. We had a ‘staff v pupils’ match at the end of every term. He did a bit of coaching (he was a maths teacher mainly) and fancied himself a bit. I was already an opening bowler for my village team……absolutely castled him with inswinging yorkers in the first over in both my 4th and 5th years. The second one is still just about the best cricket experience of my life…….full on cartwheeling off stump to a soundtrack of our skipper shouting ‘again’ and pissing himself laughing.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Brilliant!

I hated my form tutor. We had a ‘staff v pupils’ match at the end of every term. He did a bit of coaching (he was a maths teacher mainly) and fancied himself a bit. I was already an opening bowler for my village team……absolutely castled him with inswinging yorkers in the first over in both my 4th and 5th years. The second one is still just about the best cricket experience of my life…….full on cartwheeling off stump to a soundtrack of our skipper shouting ‘again’ and pissing himself laughing.

:lolol::lolol::lolol:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Maybe getting ahead of myself here, but what are the stats/records for successful 4th innings chases in a three-match Test series? How many times has 3/3 been achieved before?

(Apologies in advance for the huge NZ 3rd innings score and subsequent England-esque batting collapse in the 4th... :eek:)

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Maybe getting ahead of myself here, but what are the stats/records for successful 4th innings chases in a three-match Test series? How many times has 3/3 been achieved before?

(Apologies in advance for the huge NZ 3rd innings score and subsequent England-esque batting collapse in the 4th... :eek:)

England chased down in all three of the New Zealand home matches in 2004. Certainly haven't since. 3/4-0 wins are not very common.

https://www.espncricinfo.com/series/new-zealand-in-england-test-series-2004-60764/match-results

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Jimmy Grimble

Overton is carrying a a bit of timber isn’t he? Unusual for a pace bowler in this day snd age.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here