Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] 3rd (Dead Rubber) Test - Eng v NZ at Clean Slate Headingley, Leeds - 11am

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
It always has been.

For me, anyway.

I meant for the greater sporting public. As a cricket fan I have friends / family etc who are suddenly asking or bringing up the test match.

If you think this series is how it always has been, you must have missed a whole lot of defensive flat wicket dross that I’ve sat through!!

I am I right in saying that is a record for how quickly we lost 6 wickets THEN a record for the 7th wicket - that’s mind blowing when you think about, those 2 records next to each other in the same innings.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This is real Test opening...

https://youtu.be/VGrlUbKHUB8

I still can't believe what I'm seeing there. I've watched that loads. I'm not sure whether Holding held back after Bill Alley (who was actually an Australian) warned him. I don't know.

It's incredible that no-one was killed back then, especially with the pace of some of the bowlers close to what we see now. I'm surprised head guards didn't appear earlier. It wasn't a case of men being men, it was stupidity.

I do think that players were hit less because they concentrated more. The helmet brings a sense of security.

As for comments about the days of Boycott and Tavare. That was when I was getting into the game as a kid. The first series I listened to was England in India 1981/82. The dullest series ever. Flat wickets, dodgy umpires and terrible over rates. Yet, 12 years old, I would be up at 5.30, before the paper round at ten to seven, listening to this nauseous bore of a series with excitement and anticipation. Brian Johnson describing the static scene of defensive strokes like it was an artistic comedy, and Henry Blofield talking about everything except the match. Bloody marvelous. So my love affair with the game became a marriage.

This all came from a working class introduction to the game. There is no history of cricket in my family. But I was grateful my Mum indulged it, and she wept at seeing my joy of being given a Sussex membership by her in 1982. My best present ever. 40 years ago, crikey.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I still can't believe what I'm seeing there. I've watched that loads. I'm not sure whether Holding held back after Bill Alley (who was actually an Australian) warned him. I don't know.

It's incredible that no-one was killed back then, especially with the pace of some of the bowlers close to what we see now. I'm surprised head guards didn't appear earlier. It wasn't a case of men being men, it was stupidity.

I do think that players were hit less because they concentrated more. The helmet brings a sense of security.

As for comments about the days of Boycott and Tavare. That was when I was getting into the game as a kid. The first series I listened to was England in India 1981/82. The dullest series ever. Flat wickets, dodgy umpires and terrible over rates. Yet, 12 years old, I would be up at 5.30, before the paper round at ten to seven, listening to this nauseous bore of a series with excitement and anticipation. Brian Johnson describing the static scene of defensive strokes like it was an artistic comedy, and Henry Blofield talking about everything except the match. Bloody marvelous. So my love affair with the game became a marriage.

This all came from a working class introduction to the game. There is no history of cricket in my family. But I was grateful my Mum indulged it, and she wept at seeing my joy of being given a Sussex membership by her in 1982. My best present ever. 40 years ago, crikey.

Cracking post :thumbsup:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Ooh it’s a corner;10299816 said:
I’m guessing not D.B.Close - agree about Whispering Death - what a fluid bowling action he had

Name me a more graceful sportsperson. If you can, see if they can marry that grace with malice.
And to cap it off, Whispering Death is a consummate media professional, a delightful man, and a political hero (all of which post-dated his status as my favourite cricketer ever).

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ooh it’s a corner;10299816 said:
I’m guessing not D.B.Close - agree about Whispering Death - what a fluid bowling action he had

.... and one of them was one of the bravest too. Just sayimg. No helmet; just pads, gloves and a box.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just watched the highlights as didn’t catch the last session. I don’t really remember test cricket like this!? 264 off 294 balls when you were 55-6!? There’s still 31 overs until the new ball.

Test cricket has a history of digging yourself out of trouble from seemingly impossible positions, but a 7th wicket partnership scoring 200 at a run a ball from 55-6, I personally don’t recall seeing the like. If you’d have finished the day at 150-6 off 49 overs from 55-6 you’d have been delighted - 3 runs an over would have been a respectable run rate. 264-6 is nuts.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
150 up for JB. Sad for Overton that he didn't get his century on his Test debut.

Highest partnership for the 7th wicket

DS Atkinson, CC Depeiaza 347 West Indies v Australia Bridgetown 14 May 1955
Waqar Hasan, Imtiaz Ahmed 308 Pakistan v New Zealand Lahore 26 Oct 1955
SO Dowrich, JO Holder 295* West Indies v England Bridgetown 23 Jan 2019
RG Sharma, R Ashwin 280 India v West Indies Kolkata 6 Nov 2013
BJ Watling, MJ Santner 261 New Zealand v England Mount Maunganui 21 Nov 2019
VVS Laxman, MS Dhoni 259* India v South Africa Kolkata 14 Feb 2010
Y. Youhana, Saqlain Mushtaq 248 Pakistan v New Zealand Christchurch 15 Mar 2001
DJ McGlew, ARA Murray 246 South Africa v New Zealand Wellington 6 Mar 1953
JM Bairstow, J Overton 241 England v New Zealand Leeds 23 Jun 2022
RJ Shastri, SMH Kirmani 235 India v England Wankhede 28 Nov 1984

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
2nd fastest ever 150 for England in tests, after that Ben Stokes madness in Cape Town several years ago

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
That's my fault, I've just been out shopping and first ball I saw was Overton out

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Ah, bollocks. Overton so close to 100, England just 20 or so away from the 5th highest 7 wicket partnership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Shame for Overton. On the flip side the pitch does seem most lively in the morning and calm in the afternoon, so some quick runs and having a bowl could be good for us

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Broad swinging the bat now... :drool:

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
England lead by 1 :clap2:

Looked very unlikely earlier in the innings

55-6 with Boult hooping it I thought 150 looked very unlikely. :D

331-7 from there was as likely as Paige Spiranac texting me to ask to give her a pre-round massage, carry her bag, then gentle wash her in the shower afterwards.

I’m currently waiting for her text!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here