Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£350m spend on A27 upgrade

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Here is a map from 1988 showing some of the original routes planned for the Worthing and Lancing bypasses, 2 of which included tunnels.

Don't think they will every happen now, more than likely just more traffic lights!

M27Worthing.jpgScreen Shot 2014-12-01 at 17.45.35.png

Last edited:

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
I doubt if we will ever see another formally designated motorway in the UK (in the sense of a new road numbered "M something"). Look at the recent upgrading of that bit of the A23 at Handcross, as an example. A high spec trunk road, but nevertheless open to learner drivers and other "non-motorway" traffic. Long-distance high-speed roads, segregated from roads that carry local traffic, have simply gone out of fashion.

The upgrade does do some of what you say. Between Warninglid & Handcross there used to be two dangerous exits/rejoins to the A23 for The garden centre/4front cars and the road to Slaugham. These are now both closed off.
A new road from the Warninglid turn off now runs 50 yards parallel serving these establishments so local traffic has gentle access rather than into & off the A23 in less than 1/2 mile into 60mph traffic.
Took a while but a vast improvement now

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I'm sure there is some improvement in roads that really should happen but wouldn't we better investing in the rail network? I get as frustrated as anyone by Worthing and Chichester but expand and improve the rail network and you relieve the pressure on the roads. It's the progressive approach as far as I'm concerned.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm sure there is some improvement in roads that really should happen but wouldn't we better investing in the rail network? I get as frustrated as anyone by Worthing and Chichester but expand and improve the rail network and you relieve the pressure on the roads. It's the progressive approach as far as I'm concerned.

Yes, this announcement is purely timed for the election, I'd be amazed if many of these 'improvements' actually happen. For a start, we're talking about a five to ten year timeframe and anything can happen in that time but the main problem is that in the long-term, we're going to see a reduction in road use.

Technological improvements are going to be such that people will no longer have a need to travel for work meetings. We're already seeing how Amazon is taking over from the high street and this, coupled with more online supermarket shopping, will mean that there will be fewer cars on the road. Throw in the research on drones (already being conducted by Amazon) and on driverless cars (already being conducted by Google) and it's clear that in 25 or 30 years time, the need to go long distance by private car will be much reduced.

If the plans were to build next year, then I could understand it, but to plan to build in ten years is scarcely planning for the future. My guess is that future governments will realise this and quietly can most of the projects.

I see that there are already two local groups fighting the Arundel plans so I can certainly see that project take a long time to come to fruition

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
That's what I thought, and I'd heard it was the Duchess of Norfolk putting a stop to it because the road will be seen from the castle.

So why doesn't the posh old bag naff orf back to Norfolk then.
It makes me very cross when these rich people move into another area of the country and before you can say tally ho they are throwing their weight around and refusing to integrate into the community.
Surely even this slack jawed duchess can also see the oiks stuck in traffic for hours through her stained glass window.
Makes my p**s boil.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
So why doesn't the posh old bag naff orf back to Norfolk then.
It makes me very cross when these rich people move into another area of the country and before you can say tally ho they are throwing their weight around and refusing to integrate into the community.
Surely even this slack jawed duchess can also see the oiks stuck in traffic for hours through her stained glass window.
Makes my p**s boil.

Isnt she Lady Fitzallan Howard whose family have been there for years or has she passed on.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

It's a dreadful line that, nearly an hour and half for the forty mile journey to Pompey and two and a half hours for the eighty miles to Bmuff.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Yes, this announcement is purely timed for the election, I'd be amazed if many of these 'improvements' actually happen. For a start, we're talking about a five to ten year timeframe and anything can happen in that time but the main problem is that in the long-term, we're going to see a reduction in road use.

Technological improvements are going to be such that people will no longer have a need to travel for work meetings. We're already seeing how Amazon is taking over from the high street and this, coupled with more online supermarket shopping, will mean that there will be fewer cars on the road. Throw in the research on drones (already being conducted by Amazon) and on driverless cars (already being conducted by Google) and it's clear that in 25 or 30 years time, the need to go long distance by private car will be much reduced.

If the plans were to build next year, then I could understand it, but to plan to build in ten years is scarcely planning for the future. My guess is that future governments will realise this and quietly can most of the projects.

I see that there are already two local groups fighting the Arundel plans so I can certainly see that project take a long time to come to fruition

Really can't see roads getting quieter ANY time soon. Just because people shop online more doesn't mean they then spend the rest of the day sitting in the house. The travel for work meetings is a small proportion of commuter traffic. And, crucially, there are going to be more and more houses built in the South East and so far not much has been done to improve transport infrastructure. I know we're talking about roads, but the situation in Haywards Heath with the ever expanding development but no plans to improve rail network is reaching breaking point. Roads similarly should be being improved massively to accomodate extra houses, but it seems that it's only developer's cash that anyone is interested in and **** the people that already live there.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Really can't see roads getting quieter ANY time soon.

I didn't say they would - in fact, I said the exact opposite. What I did say was that, in the long term (25 or 30 years time), roads will get a lot quieter. I said that if we were building now, then you could understand it - we can only expect to see traffic increase in the next few years - but to build in 10 or 12 years, just as traffic is hitting its peak, seems like a waste of money.

Just look at work patterns: 15 years ago anyone who worked in an office was in there five days a week. Now, people regularly work from home two or three days a week (at my last job we had a couple of people who only came in two days a month), that's a trend that's only going to increase. If you throw in the increased automation of various jobs, then we'll have even fewer people going to work. Yes, there will be a short term need for additional road space but it's not something to build a future on

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
It's a dreadful line that, nearly an hour and half for the forty mile journey to Pompey and two and a half hours for the eighty miles to Bmuff.

Precisely, we should be getting to Pompey in 45 mins, soton in an hour and bmuff just over an hour. Take this 15 billion and just imagine what you could do with the rail network.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Thanks, that's very interesting. It is unfortunate that areas of the woodland have already been "tampered" with and I just wondered whether this term used for these woods is a defined here or a term being used. I wonder if there is a legal state for areas shown on a map and whether, or not, this area is included? I guess we'll find out when the real supporters and objectors crack on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here