Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£350m spend on A27 upgrade

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I suspect the Lewes bit will just involving adding an extra lane between Beddingham and Southerham (as they should've done when they last worked on the section).

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I suspect the Lewes bit will just involving adding an extra lane between Beddingham and Southerham (as they should've done when they last worked on the section).

You are quite right they should have done it when building the railway flyover, however widening that road will also now mean widening the bridge, which I can ever see happening.

Plus, Baker and his cronies stopped that first time round, believe that they will campaign against it again, because if they do that section, it will finally open up the possibility of the dual carriageway to Polegate, which anybody who drives that road knows it desperately needs.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Phwoar!
A27-corridor-6.jpg

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
You are quite right they should have done it when building the railway flyover, however widening that road will also now mean widening the bridge, which I can ever see happening.

Plus, Baker and his cronies stopped that first time round, believe that they will campaign against it again, because if they do that section, it will finally open up the possibility of the dual carriageway to Polegate, which anybody who drives that road knows it desperately needs.

Ok I stand completely and utterly corrected, the pictures up on the website link suggest that is exactly what is being planned??

Be great if it is, and not before time too - it was an utter disgrace not doing it first time round.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
I always find it funny when listening to the traffic reports, they always mention "heavy traffic on the A27 through Chichester, Arundel and Worthing"....it's always knackered through there, might as well change the report to SN:AFU.

I'd love them to sort out Arundel (though it doesn't bother me too much, as if the bypass is screwed I dive down through Ford to go to Littlehampton) but Worthing needs...well, apart from razing to the ground it also desperately needs a traffic solution. Flying cars, perhaps.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
I always find it funny when listening to the traffic reports, they always mention "heavy traffic on the A27 through Chichester, Arundel and Worthing"....it's always knackered through there, might as well change the report to SN:AFU.

I'd love them to sort out Arundel (though it doesn't bother me too much, as if the bypass is screwed I dive down through Ford to go to Littlehampton) but Worthing needs...well, apart from razing to the ground it also desperately needs a traffic solution. Flying cars, perhaps.

Mm again all the pictures suggest doing something to avoid Lyons Farm and the Hill Barn roundabout, it doesn't really suggest what....

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There is, as you'd imagine, huge debate in and around Arundel with regard to the By-pass, many people objecting due to the route, loss of woods etc. This is a shame and it will impact on us locally, however, the one point that doesn't escape me is that the same people had no issues with the M25, A24, Newbury By-pass, A23 Handcross Hill ... all of which were necessary as part of our national transport infrastructure and, possibly, used and appreciated by our local objectors. I don't want an Arundel by-pass, but do accept it's needed, necessary and I can't really object just because, this time, it impacts on me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It will be interesting to see what is proposed for Worthing, given years back a large number of houses around Salvington and Offington were compulsory purchased in anticipation of significant re-working of the A27, only to be then released back to the market some time later when the plans didn't come to fruition.

£350m doesn't sound like very much money for this at all.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Perhaps one day, probably not during my life time, they will finish the bye pass at Crossbush which was originally going to join up with the A27 west of Arundel. They bult it so far then just stopped leading up to the lights, a part road that goes nowhere.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
It will be interesting to see what is proposed for Worthing, given years back a large number of houses around Salvington and Offington were compulsory purchased in anticipation of significant re-working of the A27, only to be then released back to the market some time later when the plans didn't come to fruition.

£350m doesn't sound like very much money for this at all.

I agree - one of the most densely-populated areas of the country has amongst the crapest roads network. £350m is pocket-money compared to what is really needed.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Perhaps one day, probably not during my life time, they will finish the bye pass at Crossbush which was originally going to join up with the A27 west of Arundel. They bult it so far then just stopped leading up to the lights, a part road that goes nowhere.

I don't know how true this is but I heard the reason why that was never finished as because the proposed route is visible from Arundel Castle. And those in situ or English Heritage (can't remember who run it) felt that it would distort the 'experience' of visiting the castle?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

That's the plan, the famous, or infamous, Pink & Blue route and the one causing so much objection!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I agree - one of the most densely-populated areas of the country has amongst the crapest roads network. £350m is pocket-money compared to what is really needed.

Think you'll find the lion's share of this is for a By-pass at Arundel and the rest is for "improvements" at Worthing, so no major plans I think? Can't see £350m building just a by-pass alone to be fair!

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
For what its worth, the Eastbourne Herald has Ms Mordaunt in Eastbourne today explaining how the Polegate-Lewes section is also going to get its share of the 350m......we shall see.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I came to the conclusion a while ago that it's far quicker to drive straight through the middle of Chichester than waste time crawling round the bypass. And going cross-country via Steyning and Storrington avoids both Worthing and Arundel.

Just finished 29 months Sompting to Swanwick, tried across country a few times, no quicker imo.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Mm again all the pictures suggest doing something to avoid Lyons Farm and the Hill Barn roundabout, it doesn't really suggest what....

Jetpacks.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I don't know how true this is but I heard the reason why that was never finished as because the proposed route is visible from Arundel Castle. And those in situ or English Heritage (can't remember who run it) felt that it would distort the 'experience' of visiting the castle?

I may be wrong but thought the funding was withdrawn as being too expensive.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here