Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

35 years of Championship Leaders after 20 games - downhill from here?

Shuggie

Sep 19, 2003
East Sussex coast
Another classic case of mis-using statistics...

Teams that are top of the league after twenty games are clearly at the peak of form (that's what being top of the league means), therefore it's not at all surprising that their form from game 21 onwards is worse. FFS, it is almost impossible for it to be better, otherwise they wouldn't be top of the league in the first place.

Therefore the oh-so-dramatic, 31 of 34 have had worse form after the 20th game is not actually surprising, in fact, it's f*cking obvious!

FFS if I had two days to write a thesis on this I would have done.

To the rest of us it's f*cking obvious that this is a football forum.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
There is one key problem with forecasting end of season position based on current: we have never before had five teams at or around 2 points per game (PPG) at this stage.

It is almost inconceivable that all 5 will keep going at current rate - if it happens we shall have three of the highest points totals ever achieved without gaining auto promotion. Possible, but unlikely.

IMO, it is not that PPG will decline from here - it is very likely to do so - but how much it does so relative to the others. I think Albion have three things going for them: not being a relegated club (historically they have had trouble maintaining a top two challenge); proven consistency: and ,ironically, the injury situation as players coming back in Jan/Feb will be fresh.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
We haven't lost a game yet.

As such, the second half of the season will almost certainly be 'worse' unless we're going to be invincigulls all season. I'd take a few losses if the flip side is that we win more of the games we draw.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

Teams that are top of the league after twenty games are clearly at the peak of form (that's what being top of the league means), therefore it's not at all surprising that their form from game 21 onwards is worse. FFS, it is almost impossible for it to be better, otherwise they wouldn't be top of the league in the first place.

Therefore the oh-so-dramatic, 31 of 34 have had worse form after the 20th game is not actually surprising, in fact, it's f*cking obvious!

ungrateful twatt..!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
If it carries on like this until two matches to go, it will go down to the wire. We could still be undefeated but not yet in the autos. With the points and GD differential as now, even two draws might not do it.

Tesco in Disguise

Where do we go from here?
Jul 5, 2003
Wienerville
The first graphic is very encouraging. Only one team has failed to get promoted automatically from our position.

The second graphic isn't worrying - regression to the mean.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
In the position we are in, I light of the huge huge reward of being in the PL next season, bloom has to throw money at this in January. We need another left back, if not a but then a season long loan. Also another Winger and Striker. If I were bloom I'd spend 10million minimum and maybe go as far as 20. This is it folks, we are in Pole position and have to go for it without the play off lottery!!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I still think we ought to change the intro film and music. Get rid of the dirge "Hey Jude"

Dec 15, 2014
Here
"Lies, damned lies, and statistics" is a phrase describing the persuasive power of numbers, particularly the use of statistics to bolster weak arguments. It is also sometimes colloquially used to doubt statistics used to prove an opponent's point

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Good news is that we usually do better in the 2nd half a the season than the first. Certainly have in the last 8 years anyway!

Del Fenner

Because of Boxing Day
Sep 5, 2011
An Away Terrace

Indeed. Excellent presentation of data, the one standout is quite how stellar Sunderland were in 98/99.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here