Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] £30m offer for Levi Colwill rejected

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We won’t have made our max bid up front. There’s still a slim chance of us getting him, just like there was yesterday, but the conversation has started. If they really don’t want to sell, they’ll just have to make the money they need from multiple other player sales.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I doubt it will happen but if it does it's going to be late. If Chelsea haven't shifted the players they need to and could still do with bringing 40 million in, and they've bought the players poch needs to balance the squad THEN possibly.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts:

1. If I were Chelsea I'd ask Brighton why would they accept £30 mill for Colwill when we insisted the price for Ben White was £50 mill. I see virtually no difference between where White was then and where Colwill is now.

2. If possible, I'd try and use try and use Sanchez to make the deal happen. If we could get Colwill for less than £30mill plus Sanchez I'd look on that as success.

3. I think the news about Mason Mount to Man Utd makes the sale of another young Chelsea English starlet politically more difficult for the Chelsea board.

4. The Albion should have a ceiling on Colwill - probably £40mill - but if Chelsea aren't interested I'd turn our attention to Piero Hincapie, the Ecuadorian with Bayer Leverkusen. I think £30mill could be enough to seal that deal.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Imagine if he does SING and then turns out to be shitehouse, a la Mooy!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
My thoughts:

1. If I were Chelsea I'd ask Brighton why would they accept £30 mill for Colwill when we insisted the price for Ben White was £50 mill. I see virtually no difference between where White was then and where Colwill is now.

2. If possible, I'd try and use try and use Sanchez to make the deal happen. If we could get Colwill for less than £30mill plus Sanchez I'd look on that as success.

3. I think the news about Mason Mount to Man Utd makes the sale of another young Chelsea English starlet politically more difficult for the Chelsea board.

4. The Albion should have a ceiling on Colwill - probably £40mill - but if Chelsea aren't interested I'd turn our attention to Piero Hincapie, the Ecuadorian with Bayer Leverkusen. I think £30mill could be enough to seal that deal.
Brighton don’t need to justify the bid. It’s a number. Chelsea accept it or not. It was the same for Arsenal with Ben White. They paid up. We may or we may not be willing to do the same but if he isn’t for sale it’s irrelevant. There won’t be a debate on ‘value.’

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Slim chance of this coming off but it was right to try all the same I think, making a respectable bid for the player who we’d undoubtedly be delighted to sign. It’s a statement of intent and shows to RdZ the club will back him. It’s not our fault Chelsea won’t sell. Possibly we’ll make another, higher bid maybe £40mil but I expect that’ll be rejected too and we will move onto the next option for a LCB.
This ⬆ is where my thoughts are.

I'd be very surprised if we make a bid high enough to meet Chelsea's expectations. There are a few factors that make me think that maybe, maaaybe we'll go surprisingly high:
  • We know him. Ability, style, fitness, temperament and 'fit' with his teammates. All confirmed as excellent (presumably!)
  • Re-sale value - he's young and a homegrown player
  • Wages - presumably, he's not currently on exorbitant wages (relative to others). He'd get a bump with the new contract if we sign him of course, but at least he's not on £150k pw to start with.

Might all of these known positives convince TB that the risk is minimal, therefore the fee can be higher and still fit the model?

The trouble is, those are all reasons for Chelsea to hold out for more money too.

The only way I can see it happening is if Levi makes it clear he wants to go and Chelsea end up being desperate for the last £40m+ to balance the FFP books. Even if he says he wants to go, all it would take is for Poch to play him in their first few games next season and he'd be happy to sign a new contract (IMO).

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
My thoughts:

are we really in the territory of spending 40m on a defender. I don't think we are there yet!

Lurchy

Jul 2, 2014
I reckon .....

Levi knows his contract is running down.
He tells BHA while on loan he wants to come.
Albion bid low ... £30m
Chelsea fans kick off at club over the possibility of him leaving to club who have been making them look stupid for the last year.
Chelsea offers Levi a contract, vastly improved from the one if already had on the table.
Levi looks around to see if Liverpool or Arsenal improve on that
They don't
Levi signs new contract with Chelsea
Puts out twitter message saying that once you're Chels, you're always Chels
Albion sign random LCB that nobody has ever heard of, from league which nobody pays attention to
He turns out to be good and all is well that ends well
Levi continues to play well in a dysfunctional club and has a good career
If that random LCB turns out to be either Arthur Theate or Facundo Medina I’ll be ecstatic.

Both are currently a lot better than Colwill.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
are we really in the territory of spending 40m on a defender. I don't think we are there yet!
We spent £20m on Webster in 2019 - adjusted for inflation, that would be £24m in today's money. We are considerably richer than we were then as well.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I think we can dispense with the "he's not for sale" argument

If someone offered £200m they would sell. He's for sale like any other player. The outstanding questions are whether we would meet their valuation (doubt it) and whether Levi would sign given reported interest from other clubs and highly likely a better contractual offer on the table from Chelsea (doubt that as well).

To me the interesting dynamic if the bids start coming in are with the timescales. If Chelsea are selling then it's better they do so at the start of the summer. Levi has more interest in letting this play out for longer.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
The only way I can see it happening is if Levi makes it clear he wants to go and Chelsea end up being desperate for the last £40m+ to balance the FFP books.
That date might not be as late as you'd think. For any paid exits to be included in Chelsea's financial accounts for 2022/23 they must take place before June 30. This is almost a requirement for them to pass FFP and why Mount is leaving so quickly.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
It's no going to happen, but lets just say we got Levi for the same money as we got for Cucurella, so effectively a swap deal, it would still seem like a good deal.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Don't understand the comments about us 'stiffing' Chelsea over Cucurella , we sold them the player who was our player of the season for an agreed price. If he had played as well for them as he did for us no one would be questioning the price as Chelsea would (might) have done a lot better.

Anyone who thought we would get Colwill for less than £45 million (if not more) are not reading the market very well .

Yes put a bid in just to show we are interested in signing him so we can then include him in any deal for Caicedo.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Brighton don’t need to justify the bid. It’s a number. Chelsea accept it or not. It was the same for Arsenal with Ben White. They paid up. We may or we may not be willing to do the same but if he isn’t for sale it’s irrelevant. There won’t be a debate on ‘value.’
In football every player has a price. This explains why they are entertaining letting Chelsea pin-up boy Mason Mount join Man Utd. And I don't think Brighton do "numbers", I think they price players very carefully, according to the other club, the market rate and - when selling - the feelings of the player, the service they have given and the profit on the deal.

I agree that Chelsea may be serious about not selling Colwill but that is a dangerous game if a) They need money to meet FFP and b) The player really does want to leave.

Indeed, the bonkers transfer fees Chelsea pay make buying off them a bit of a lottery. It's not surprising they turn down £30 mill for Colwill when they paid £75mill for Wesley Fofana.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
It's no going to happen, but lets just say we got Levi for the same money as we got for Cucurella, so effectively a swap deal, it would still seem like a good deal.

Not really, Cucurella was the finished article when we sold him. He was out PoTS and looked excellent every match irrespective of what Chelsea have done to him since.

Colwill is still learning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here