Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

£300k a week for next 5.5 years. Would you lose interest if.....................

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
The fact that that sort of money is floating around at the top of the game and below it clubs are going out of business is disgusting. The whole Premier League itself is pretty disgusting in how it was formed and how much control they have over the game.

If we ever spunked that sort of money on one player's wages I'd be out of it.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
£300k is an obscene amount to pay, yes, but that said I firmly believe that it isn't Rooney that should get the blame. If I was offered it, I'd take in a flash and have not one pinch of guilt!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
That is before tax, and your right it is obscene. Let's say it's around £170,000 a week after tax, you could probably employ
340 Nurses on £500.00 per week for that.

But their careers are short we keep hearing, but they generate a lot of money, they are under a lot pressure, the fact is NOBODY IS WORTH THIS MONEY!!
That's just his wages, this does not include sponsorship.

It's just wrong when so many people are struggling. That's just my opinion.

I hate this argument. It's not as if they can't go out and get another job once they finish playing football.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
£300k is an obscene amount to pay, yes, but that said I firmly believe that it isn't Rooney that should get the blame. If I was offered it, I'd take in a flash and have not one pinch of guilt!

Hmm. Whilst you're right to say that realistically most of us would take as much money as we were offered, I'm not sure Rooney (and by extension his team of advisors) can be considered blameless. This is the second successive contract that he has negotiated by using heavy handed player power - handing in transfer requests, claims of being unsettled, courting offers from other clubs to pressure United into upping their offer. It all stinks to me. I remember last time this happened (which doesn't seem very long ago), he was getting booed by the fans but as soon as he signed a new contract and said he was always devoted to MU they all loved him again - his tactic works very well. Until clubs start holding players accountable to the contracts they have signed, I can't see how this spiral can ever stop spinning out of control.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Why so much? You have to base it on how much it will cost to replace him. His scoring figures show 1 goal every two games. To buy a striker like that would cost millions more. Look at Van Persie. Total cost over four years £64million, Rooney over 5 years £47million.
Put it another way. Bridcutt sold for £3.5million but to replace him with a proven player may cost £3million plus high wages. But pay Bridcutt an extra £3million over three years and we win but he still sulks in the corner.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Hmm. Whilst you're right to say that realistically most of us would take as much money as we were offered, I'm not sure Rooney (and by extension his team of advisors) can be considered blameless. This is the second successive contract that he has negotiated by using heavy handed player power - handing in transfer requests, claims of being unsettled, courting offers from other clubs to pressure United into upping their offer. It all stinks to me. I remember last time this happened (which doesn't seem very long ago), he was getting booed by the fans but as soon as he signed a new contract and said he was always devoted to MU they all loved him again - his tactic works very well. Until clubs start holding players accountable to the contracts they have signed, I can't see how this spiral can ever stop spinning out of control.

The player in this case was standing by his contract - it was the club that wanted him to sign a new one. I'm sure Rooney was quite happy for his contract to run out, why wouldn't he be, he's not a player that would have a problem finding a club willing to take him on a 'free' and pay him the £300K that Man U are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And it's not as if he is a world class player anymore, I wonder what Ronaldo or Messi think they're worth now ?

He previously said he wanted a move as the club seemed to lack ambition and did not buy many class players. Since he had these thoughts Man U have hardly demonstrated ambition or a desire to buy big names. Just goes to show he is mercenary. I reckon he will be back to the chubby panting sweating unfit bruiser he was a few years ago shortly after he has signed this deal.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
But he doesn't do it for the money, he just loves playing football.

I don't do what I do for the money either. I just love it.

Can I have my £300k a week now please? just for this month maybe?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
The most expensive tub of lard ever!

Wayne Rooney has made 24 appearances this season for Man U, Premier & Champions Leagues, scored 11 goals, credited with 12 assists and voted man of the match 6 times.

In total he has played 161 times for Man U with 100 goals, 47 assists and 34 'man of the match' awards.

Some tub of lard!

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
£300k a week?

Nothing compared to Mr Peyton Manning for example.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...j7&sourceid=chrome&espv=210&es_sm=91&ie=UTF-8

All obscene!

Or Alex Rodriguez - $30,000,000 a year for the Yankees baseball player currently fighting charges of taking performance enhancing drugs. Like it or not as football (and other sports as well) becomes more global there is a lot more money sloshing about from TV companies and sponsors. Traditionally the US always had the highest paid sports stars, now that gap with other countries is starting to reduce.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If nobody else wants it, I would be quite happy to do the decent thing and relieve them of what must be a massive burden and unwanted responsibility.

££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

Sloe Joe

Oct 7, 2010
As the MUFC crowds diminish, and the railway fares from London double, will MUFC be able to sustain such a nonsense salary.
In real terms he's worth maybe £100k at best. So, official receivers anybody when the yanks get bored after zippo silverware ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here