Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

30000 Saturday

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Pretendance: 28,976
Attendance: 25,208

Always going to be a few no shows, but I'd be very surprised if 3700 season ticket holders - that's 1 in 6 - don't turn up for a Saturday 3pm KO, particularly when we're on a decent run and getting to the business end of the season

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
View attachment 52158Rememeber this one well, 26,779 (silly me for writing on it)

View attachment 52157

I remember that unbelievable save by Peter Grummitt at the South Stand end during that game, from Brian Talbot's 'unstoppable shot'. I met Talbot later that year (as part of a "C&G Super Soccer Club" trip to London) and without mentioning what team I supported, I asked him what was the best save a keeper had ever made from one of his shots (not exactly 'Newsnight' but I was only 11...). Without hesitation he named the Grummitt save. I was delighted to tell him I'd been there to see it and he described it as "a save and a half".

Boring bloody story if you weren't there. Not brilliant if you were either.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Always going to be a few no shows, but I'd be very surprised if 3700 season ticket holders - that's 1 in 6 - don't turn up for a Saturday 3pm KO, particularly when we're on a decent run and getting to the business end of the season

I agree. I think it will be one of the closer attendances to the announced figure this season.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
That is a spanking Ipswich team.

Where was Paul Mariner?

2 Scottish and at least 3 English internationals (did Cooper ever play?). They were a top team - before Christmas that season they went on to beat Arsenal, Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool!

Was a great night, terrific atmosphere. Was stood in the Chicken Run, halfway up on the barrier above the gangway, north end, age 13. Some guy was always slagging Binney (tbf he was lazy) - when he scored we all turned on him and gave him stick! Plus ca change.

PG

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Why are good times only remembered in by gone years.

In the 100 years that the Albion have been going there are not many times that are better than the times we are experiencing now.
We are currently in the top 15 best supported teams in the country
We are playing a style of football never seen at Brighton
If we finish the season as the 27th placed team in the country it will be a disappointment
We play in a world class stadium & we own it.

I could go on

We all like to reminisce about times gone by but lets not forget about the here & now because at the moment it is pretty damm good.

Agreed. But isn't it brilliant we can make comparison between now and the best games of yesteryear? When we were at Gillingham or some of the dull seasons at Withdean, it was impossible to imagine we would ever get back to comparable crowds or performances to some of these great matches.

PG

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Where's kingcole?

papajaff

Aug 7, 2005
Brighton
So that's why they came up with their banner!!

It was in response to 'Goat em Brighton'

They obviously thought we were taking the piss out of their horses?

Eeee that made me laugh.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
What a night that was !!!
Even if The Amex was filled to 60k it still wouldn't come anywhere close to topping the atmosphere of matches like that .

Indeed it was a great night with very sad/happy personal memories. I was living in Suffolk at the time and used to go to Portman Road when not coming down to watch the Albion. Anyway my Dad and Dad in law who lived in Hove had got me a ticket for the replay. I set off from Ipswich at 3.00pm and it was before we had a M25 so just coming out of Dartford Tunnel, steam started pouring out of the bonnet. My rad had gone. Called the AA who at the time had a base at Dartford. By 5.55 I was on my way and got to the Goldstone at 7.30.

Great match and after my" Dads" and I celebrated in the Neville. Sadly that was the last time my Dad went to the Goldstone or ever went in a pub again as he was diagnosed with bowel cancer the next week and died soon after. He said though that was one of his best nights out and I have the happy memory of the last night out with my Dad.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
For a long time, I thought that banner said 'GOAT 'EM BRIGHTON' and I didn't have a clue what it meant

I realised later, that it said 'GO AT 'EM BRIGHTON'

:dunce:

I'd never heard of it until seeing it on your programmes. I prefer Goat Em and that's what I'm sticking with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here