Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"3 More Deals/Loans Next Week" - BBC

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I imagine Ward will be one of them but I wouldn't be surprised if we signed at least one of the Finnish players that Sami Hyypia is interested in as well, possibly the keeper.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
[MENTION=20735]Johnny[/MENTION]cburger: Fully expect any Ulloa money to ease deals for Ward & Henderson. Few poss season long loans on top.

From Twitter obviously

No mention here of a striker on a permanent deal which is a definite need in addition to Ward, Henderson and Lingard if possible. I'd be happy starting the season on that basis.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
No mention here of a striker on a permanent deal which is a definite need in addition to Ward, Henderson and Lingard if possible. I'd be happy starting the season on that basis.

I assume that's just what he knows at this stage.

We would definitely be looking at replacing Ulloa on a permanent deal I would have thought

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
You've perked up already.
RE our previous exchange: Naylor was quite categorical that COG was signed not as a replacement for Ulloa. That's the clearest sign I've heard that this is the case.

Sami already stated when COG was signed that we are looking at more attacking options and that it was good to have options in attacking areas so I took that as meaning at least another striker to come in.

My guess is that it will be an out an out striker, purely as I believe COG will be either a plan 'B' or someone to play off a striker like CMS. I think Sami's tactics will mean us playing faster from front to back and this will definitely suit a pacu striker (and CMS too)

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Stockdale
Ward
Becchio

And I'll be a very happy boy, anyone know where becchio is in relation to first choice at Norwich? I think van wolfswinkle and the lad they signed from Celtic (cant think of his name :lol:) are both ahead of him aren't they?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Sami already stated when COG was signed that we are looking at more attacking options and that it was good to have options in attacking areas so I took that as meaning at least another striker to come in.

My guess is that it will be an out an out striker, purely as I believe COG will be either a plan 'B' or someone to play off a striker like CMS. I think Sami's tactics will mean us playing faster from front to back and this will definitely suit a pacu striker (and CMS too)

I think you're right on most, and probably all, of that. There's a piece in the Argus today indicating that COG is viewed more as a Barnes replacement, and his style is also similar to Barnes.
But this raises the question about Sami's system. We know that he wants the transition from defence to attack to be quicker. Most of us wouldn't disagree with that. But what does that mean in terms of what is required/expected of strikers. Does this mean:
-- we want strikers to run the channels and exploit space behind the opposition's defence if they're playing a high line (this would favour CMS)
-- we want strikers to hold up the ball, and the midfield, wide-attackers, even full-backs need to get forward more quickly to pick up the ball. This would favour a back-to-the-defence striker like COG, but also works best when the opposition defends deeper.
-- some combination of the above.
-- another option, or range of options.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Dean Cox isn't coming back , he's just signed an extension deal at Orient until June 2017.

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
I think you're right on most, and probably all, of that. There's a piece in the Argus today indicating that COG is viewed more as a Barnes replacement, and his style is also similar to Barnes.
But this raises the question about Sami's system. We know that he wants the transition from defence to attack to be quicker. Most of us wouldn't disagree with that. But what does that mean in terms of what is required/expected of strikers. Does this mean:
-- we want strikers to run the channels and exploit space behind the opposition's defence if they're playing a high line (this would favour CMS)
-- we want strikers to hold up the ball, and the midfield, wide-attackers, even full-backs need to get forward more quickly to pick up the ball. This would favour a back-to-the-defence striker like COG, but also works best when the opposition defends deeper.
-- some combination of the above.
-- another option, or range of options.

I think we will need all of that!

I can see Lingard playing the channels as well as CMS, Buckley and Lua Lua.

I think the more options we have the better to cover injuries, suspensions and loss of form etc.

With a midfield of TOKO, Stephens, Ince, Crofts and Kemy we look good.

I think Bruno will get forward more and Ward can as well down the other side. Even Chicksen has proven he can forward quickly. Also Calde can be a back up for with fullback so it is looking promising!!

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

I think the more options we have the better to cover injuries, suspensions and loss of form etc.

I think Bruno will get forward more and Ward can as well down the other side. Even Chicksen has proven he can forward quickly. Also Calde can be a back up for with fullback so it is looking promising!!

March? JFC? They'll feature, and I have high hopes of the former at the very least.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
I think Bruno will get forward more

More than last season? He was a very occasional right back even then. Trouble with the full backs going forward all the time is that we need pacey centre backs to cover for their defensive duties and we don't have that with our first choice centre backs right now.

We felt very exposed in two areas last season: attackers running down the wing to put in crosses whilst our full backs were still coming back from their last attack, and attackers strolling through midfield without anyone closing them down. Not sure that either Bruno or Calderon can keep up both attacking and defensive duties for any decent amount of time and this trying to get them forward (even) more would exacerbate this.

Left back I'm less concerned about as Ward and Chicksen both seem to have enough pace and puff, but right back I'd be very worried about the holes that this would leave defensively.

Dan Aitch

May 31, 2013
So... one signing, the possibility of a few more (not exactly news) and suddenly we're a force to be reckoned with and getting all excited?

Nice to see. :clap:

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Stockdale
Ward
Becchio

And I'll be a very happy boy, anyone know where becchio is in relation to first choice at Norwich? I think van wolfswinkle and the lad they signed from Celtic (cant think of his name :lol:) are both ahead of him aren't they?

Good call who's that man from Argentina?

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Why is it that people ignore JFC when mentioning players in midfield. He is definately in Sami's plans and will be surprised if he does not start the first league game, depending on who else we might sign

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Is that definite? Would be delighted to get Ward back. If Ulloa going allows us to bring in a replacement for him and ensures we can get Ward, our keeper target and a couple of others, I think that's great business.

Well, I don't think it's a done deal yet but that's what he wanted and we've offered.

Stockdale
Ward
Becchio

Gary Hooper.
Will never play for them again. Leaving in the summer. Leeds are rumoured to be interested in bringing him back. As are we.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here