Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

3 Months Since we Scored more than One Goal and Won

May 9, 2008
Stanmore, London
Ever time we fail to start with pacey wingers we are toothless and struggle to create chances. But still it continues. I just don't understand it. A least Gus used to always start with a least one!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Our problem has been the same for some years - we move the ball far too slowly when we are in possession and rarely attack at pace. Even the poor sides in the Championship know what we're going to do way before we do; and as for our corners and free kicks - the high, floating balls that we seem to constantly pump in are so easily defended and just make me cringe with frustration. What the hell do the players do on the training ground? Why can't we try whipping the ball in at pace or at least vary our approach? I can't recall seeing a decent corner since Darren Currie's days.

Last edited:

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
We were rubbish today and Reading were much more up for the game than us. Blaming the officials is easy and the Greer sending off was very harsh IMO but we deserved nothing from the game so a point is a good return. We seem to be going backwards at the moment.

You were obviously watching a different game to me. Thought we were far better than Reading apart from the final ball.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
There is only one man who can arrest this attacking slump:

England-Shirts-Kevin-Keegan-Scotland-1979_2018388.jpg

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You were obviously watching a different game to me. Thought we were far better than Reading apart from the final ball.

Must have been, Reading were the better team and more up for it than us. We hardly won a second ball and were mostly very lacklustre. We should have been a goal down after a couple of minutes and we didn't trouble their keeper at all apart from the own goal and in last few mins. If they could finish we would have been thrashed.

ruthers

Feb 24, 2013
Damning stat.
ONLY the bottom six teams have scored less goals than us (35).
That's pretty much an average of one goal per game and for a club aspiring for the play-offs it is a miracle we are anywhere close playing the brand of football we are.
Sure, great defence stats but if you want STH renewals playing arguably the dullest football in the division is not the answer.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab

You should have gone to Specsavers mate.

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
To settle this argument I think we were both poor, Lingard looks promising though. :)

Lingard looks promising, March looks promising, Ince looks promising, Chicksen looks promising, Walton looks promising. I might die by the time all this comes to fruition. Truth is in the now we are not scoring goals, the club was aware of the situation with CMS and Hoskins and yet we have one striker at the club and two loanees who can't make it in the prem. Take Ulloa out, who truthfully has a high percentage of missing opportunities, and we have no fit striker at the club who is signed. For a team aspiring for the play offs its not good enough. I am starting to think that the problem is strategic. Too many mediocre midfield players in the team, no striking partnership with the lack of goals being the end result. Oscars football used to be exciting and different from Poyet, but now its becoming mundane, scrappy and not entertaining. I'm Brighton through and through and will always be there, but I am watching a gradual decline in our game which is disappointing.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I still think a lot of our problems go back to losing Crofts, He played well in Oscar's style and carried that additional goal threat that we've been missing since his injury.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
It has been very poor fare this season at home. Most games are dire, from both sides. It shows that the Championship this season is very weak if BHAFC can get 8th with 50 points playing such poor football. Garcia is a bit of a con, he is not what the tin said, when he signed. I am in the " we are doing ok despite him rather than because of him " camp as any half decent manager with our squad could have achieved what he has even with all the injuries.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Good observations there by Uncle S. Agree, quality in division perhaps not as good given we're 8th and witness such poor attacking football most weeks. I say most because some weeks we don't witness any!

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I am amazed 27,000 people continue to turn up to watch such failure.

That's the key thing, I'm not convinced 27,000 will stand for much more of these poor performances, especially with the little price rise next season, I'm not sure how well Barber will take a drop in attendences.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Spot on,possesion in our own half and few shots on goal is not going to provide three points, home or away, but at least it will give us a top half position in the Championship.

THIS. Like our first season in the championship under Gus. Its almost history repeating itself.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The way I see it is that in home matches, you should always be aiming to score two goals. If you do that, you will win most games. The minimum that is acceptable is one goal, but only one will mean plenty of draws and the odd defeat. There is no excuse not to be scoring two goals at home and it should be happening most of the time. The way the Albion play that sounds an impossible task, some sort of fantasy, but actually it is a reasonable expectation to have.

However, in 20 matches at The Amex this season, we have scored one goal in 15 of them. We have only scored two once (Burnley), plus we have one zero (Huddersfield) and three threes (Leicester, Blackburn, Bolton). That is a long, long way from being good enough and I am amazed 27,000 people continue to turn up to watch such failure.

No team will win enough matches at home to get promotion if it only scores once, yet we continue to do the same thing week after week in terms of formation, personnel and style. This is a long way past being a one-off or a freak run of results. It's been going on for seven months and 20 home matches. Not. Good. Enough.

Absolutely SPOT ON.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here