Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd npower test Lords 16th-21st july

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Not really a fair comparison is it.

Well obviously I didn't see it, and obviously Botham and Willis did amazingly well, but do you really think Australia weren't just a bit pissed off with their own performance?

Happy with their performance, No, gracious in defeat, Yes, slaughtering their team, No.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I'm glad the above debate has happened because it will probably mean I give some slack in the coming season for the tirades we all know we'll get from TCB.

Believing that if he were an Aussie following his team in 1981 at Headingley that he'd "be totally f***ed off ... and rightly so" is a great illustration that he is unable to recognise sporting greatness from the opposition or even if he does, as I'm sure he'll claim, he will still find blame amongst his own team and seek to persecute the culprits with savage abuse.

Saturday evenings over the coming months will probably be easier now I understand.

Seagull over NZ

Jul 7, 2003
Bristol
Was up at Lords yesterday which was a day of two halves. England exceeded expectations when we had them 5 down for 128 then the Aussie partnership happened. Not a surprise that at some stage they would build a big partnership especially when that ball got old. Just be grateful by then they had lost 5 wickets as had we been looking at 320 for 3 at close of play, then I would be feeling a lot more nervous.

We need a breakthrough in the first 45 minutes or so to calm the nerves, then we should crack on. Flintoff was awesome yesterday, charging in when clearly struggling. Swann bowled really well but I was slightly bemused by the odd bit of defensive field setting by Strauss. If the Aussies make a good start today we'll probably see more than that. England still to win for me.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
If we can break this partnership early on, I think we'll win comfortably. If not, then who knows.
...is the right answer.

To be honest, even if we get to the situation where they are, say, 7 down and needing only 50 runs, the game will change dramatically once again. It's a lot easier as a batsman finding gaps in the field and playing your shots when there is no pressure. But once the last few batsmen become almost expected to knock the runs off, they will have to concentrate, think about the risks of playing the shots - and if the bowling is tight enough, it won't be at all easy. I remember 2005 in the second test - once the last wicket pairing got within 20 runs of victory, they looked nervous and batting became MUCH harder.

If the Aussies win this, we won't be able to take anything away from a monumental 2nd innings batting effort from their team. In the same way that I feel England will have done all they can - the cricket from England has been superb for most of the game.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If these boys put on another hundred I`ll be pooping myself.
2 wickets before lunch though and its practically all over.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
My prediction - I reckon they will get to about 480.
I think we will get Haddin and Johnson out in the first hour of todays play, and then Clarke will get to 150, taking them over 400, but get out plike Collingwood did at Cardiff.

We SHOULD win, but it will be another emotional rollercoaster. Flintoff will get the last wicket too

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here