Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

2nd npower test Lords 16th-21st july

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
What have I said that is inaccurate?

a) Failing to defend the world-record score for a last innings chase, which is more than 100 above the previous record, will be embarrassing and shocking.

b) Strauss failed miserably in the West Indies and he's got a chance of overseeing the most miserable defeat in history tomorrow. Sorry, but I just don't rate him as captain. The reason he has the job is there is no suitable candidate apart from Kevin. And currently it's only politics that are keeping him out of the job. If a few people could just admit they were wrong we could have an ambitious and inspirational captain again.

And Sussex are never as disappointing or inept as England, so I wouldn't worry too much.

If I were you I would stop there.

The Windies series was a farce not due to Strauss, but due to the home side flatening the life out of the pitches once one up, to create draws.

His captaincy today was generally OK, reality is the bowling attack lacks the go to bowlers of 4 years ago. However Broad has got better as the game has gone on, but Freddie is knackered.

There is nothing from the India tour to suggest Pietersen would make a good captain, his field placings were poor and bowling changes non existent, after all India chased down a big score in Chennai, which we should have won.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
People need to calm down. It's on a knife edge, this is what test cricket is all about, in a close match you have to nearly lose in order to win and that's the beauty of it. 1 wicket and that total looks big again, 2 wickets and it is a million miles away.

I'll give this partnership another 100 runs before I begin to shit myself. We need something to happen with the new ball tomorrow morning though.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
What have I said that is inaccurate?

a) Failing to defend the world-record score for a last innings chase, which is more than 100 above the previous record, will be embarrassing and shocking.

b) Strauss failed miserably in the West Indies and he's got a chance of overseeing the most miserable defeat in history tomorrow. Sorry, but I just don't rate him as captain. The reason he has the job is there is no suitable candidate apart from Kevin. And currently it's only politics that are keeping him out of the job. If a few people could just admit they were wrong we could have an ambitious and inspirational captain again.

And Sussex are never as disappointing or inept as England, so I wouldn't worry too much.

keep taking those tablets mate :thumbsup:

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
I agree that the West Indies were a disgrace for flattening the pitches, but Strauss ballsed up at least one test by waiting too long to declare. The one where the West Indies were 9 down, still miles short of the target, and we ran out of time. So in a short career as captain we're now facing the very real prospect of two tests being ruined by bad declarations.

As for today, well he was ok, but I didn't see anything new or innovative to try and break the partnership. And what about his reluctance to use a third man, despite the convicts hitting boundary after boundary in that area? And this is without mentioning the silly declaration which has now given the convicts an achievable target when batting a little longer would have put them out the game.

Ok Kevin didn't have a long time to be judged as captain, and noone can say what his tactics would be like, but I know which one would inspire me to play cricket. And I know which one (very recent form excepted) would lead by example.

Do not really agree with much of that.

The only person Pietersen inspires is himself, probably the type that stands in front of the mirror, pleasuring himself to the image of himself.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I totally agree, he probably does. Let's face it, he's a twat. A total bellend, and if we met him in the street we'd hate him. BUT give him a cricket bat and he's inspirational. He's the one who can knock the best bowlers back over their heads for six. He's the one who can play the match-winning innings when you need it. He's the one every England player wants to emulate. Tactically he might not be top-notch, but England don't have anyone currently who is, so I don't see that as a particular problem. Strauss is just too dull and too cautious for me.

he's the one that plays bloody ridiculous shots and gets out when he should'nt!

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
Yeah, I totally agree, he probably does. Let's face it, he's a twat. A total bellend, and if we met him in the street we'd hate him. BUT give him a cricket bat and he's inspirational. He's the one who can knock the best bowlers back over their heads for six. He's the one who can play the match-winning innings when you need it. He's the one every England player wants to emulate. Tactically he might not be top-notch, but England don't have anyone currently who is, so I don't see that as a particular problem. Strauss is just too dull and too cautious for me.

Strauss is not overly dull. The Pakistan series we won at ease under him suggests otherwise. The problem is, the bowlers at his disposal do not have the consistency of a 4 years ago.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
We will win. Wish people would stop panicking when one thing happens and changing their minds with tabloid-esque reactions.

One True BHA

Sep 2, 2008
Why are you so sure? And also, if we lose, would you accept the "tabloid-esque reactions" are deserved?

I cannot possibly be sure, but I think we have the team to win the test and the series. One wicket tomorrow and we're into the bowlers.

I would expect and accept criticism but not the over the top shit that would be delievered.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I agree that the West Indies were a disgrace for flattening the pitches, but Strauss ballsed up at least one test by waiting too long to declare. The one where the West Indies were 9 down, still miles short of the target, and we ran out of time. So in a short career as captain we're now facing the very real prospect of two tests being ruined by bad declarations.

As for today, well he was ok, but I didn't see anything new or innovative to try and break the partnership. And what about his reluctance to use a third man, despite the convicts hitting boundary after boundary in that area? And this is without mentioning the silly declaration which has now given the convicts an achievable target when batting a little longer would have put them out the game.

So, let me get this right...

i) West Indies - declared too late. Should have been bolder and declared earlier to permit time to get them out.

ii) This test - declared too early. Despite a poor forecast that threatened to reduce the time available to bowl out the opposition, you are saying England should have batted on this morning.

You couldn't make it up.

Agree with a comment from somewhere above - the sensationalism being displayed on this thread is all a little bit ludicrous. And I tried to ignore it earlier but you just seem to be undertaking one of your usual ultra-negative crusades that really only leaves one impression: you are genuinely glad when 'your team' fucks up, allowing you the scope to moan like a good'un..

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
So, let me get this right...

i) West Indies - declared too late. Should have been bolder and declared earlier to permit time to get them out.

ii) This test - declared too early. Despite a poor forecast that threatened to reduce the time available to bowl out the opposition, you are saying England should have batted on this morning.

You couldn't make it up.

Agree with a comment from somewhere above - the sensationalism being displayed on this thread is all a little bit ludicrous. And I tried to ignore it earlier but you just seem to be undertaking one of your usual ultra-negative crusades that really only leaves one impression: you are genuinely glad when 'your team' fucks up, allowing you the scope to moan like a good'un..

he's on FIRE tonight Bozza, just check out the trialists thread, he's banging on about the youth setup or something and arguing with himself it seems.....thoroughly entertaining :lol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Strange, you seemed to be very let down not very long ago...

What an embarrassment.

Should have been a lot more comfortable than that.

In fact, maybe I should have saved those quotes for tomorrow as if England do win (note: I'm not saying they will) then it is (or, was now) very likely you'd be trotting out the same old "should have won by more" shite.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here