Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

29,000+ and we still don't sing!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Exaggerations about a vocal Ipswich end. Surprise, surprise, their singing increased in volume and frequency several fold once they scored. Until then, nothing special.
Regarding the home support, it has definitely quietened down over time, in both the NS and WS.

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Especially the "Go left, go left"! Away games, yes, Home games, doesn't work.

Move on.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Sometimes I wonder if too much is made about crowd noise and the '12th man' effect.

Noise certainly adds to the atmosphere and makes a game a more pleasurable experience but just how much it affects the players is debateable.

Surveys have shown that noise can influence the official's decision making but they have also shown that penalties taken facing opposition fans rather than home fans tend to be more successful.

If vociferous crowd support, such as was the case with Tim Henman, can have a negative effect on an individual who is to say it couldn't also have a negative effect on a team.

It has been shown that in teams playing at home the level of testosterone is higher at the start of the game than when they play away but likewise the stress levels when playing at home are also higher and can increase when crowd support increases and expectation levels are raised.

Personally I much prefer a match where the crowd is uninhibited and noisy, (Yes even the East Stand can get noisy on occassions!), and the encouragement and noise I make is as much for my own enjoyment as for any supposed change it may make in the way the players perform.

If others preferto watch a match in silent contemplation then that is their right and doesn't make them any less of a fan in my eyes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here