Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

27 more wins and we are up!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Indeed. My point is that it's useful to have last season as a benchmark against which to track our progress.
All things being equal the main benchmark should be:-

Take 3 points from the other 'top 6' sides.

Something the team are already 0/1.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I dislike something and express that in a thread to which that opinion is appropriate (albeit with a self deprecating "bah humbug" to show that I don't take it too seriously), and you, in all your wisdom, moan about disliking that I dislike something.

P.S. this is a football forum. People are allowed to express positive and negative opinions. And more to the point, regarding your initial reply, how am I to know I don't like something until I read it?

Basically, get off your high horse.

Perhaps we both need to dismount - is it not rather high horsey to say 'I hate threads like this,...' even in a self deprecating way? It rather smacks of 'I know better so dont know why you guys discussing some pointless thread.' It is as you say an open forum so let live; if we all decide to go on every thread we dislike and let the world know we dont like it, then many threads would be overwhelmed with negativity. And, no I dont think you need to read the thread if you dont like 'points to go' type threads as it is obvious what is contained therein. Absolutely agree with view that we all have an opinion, but is it not better to express why in a dispaasionate way rather than I hate threads like this, which is just purely negative and personal.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Perhaps we both need to dismount - is it not rather high horsey to say 'I hate threads like this,...' even in a self deprecating way? It rather smacks of 'I know better so dont know why you guys discussing some pointless thread.' It is as you say an open forum so let live; if we all decide to go on every thread we dislike and let the world know we dont like it, then many threads would be overwhelmed with negativity. And, no I dont think you need to read the thread if you dont like 'points to go' type threads as it is obvious what is contained therein. Absolutely agree with view that we all have an opinion, but is it not better to express why in a dispaasionate way rather than I hate threads like this, which is just purely negative and personal.

It isn't high horsey to dislike threads like this, no. I totally appreciate that others want to be as optimistic as they possibly can, and I envy them that, but after last season I find it quite painful that we have threads like this and we're singing songs like "we are top of the league". I don't care that others do it or that the thread is here, but it isn't for me and I think it's perfectly reasonable to offer up the reasons why.

As for why I clicked on it to read the thread, it was the "27 more wins and we're up". I was intrigued to see how the OP calculated that so definitively, especially considering so many people were off with their points tally predictions for last season.

As per your point about expressing myself dispassionately, I felt that the "bah humbug" point showed enough self awareness and self-deprecation to illustrate that I wasn't taking it too seriously, and ergo, it in no way smacked of me believing that I knew better - if anything, it just smacked that I felt quite uncomfortable with posts like this but I appreciate I may be one of the only ones who felt like that (the same goes for the "we're top of the league" song, where I'm probably the one person in the North Stand who doesn't sing it). So no, I don't agree that my initial post should have been more dispassionate.

Anyway, I'll dismount here. Don't let me catch you being negative on any threads though :albion2:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

I think we need to do better than that, only taking 3 points once over the top six last year was the main reason we failed to go up automatically :wink:

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
It isn't high horsey to dislike threads like this, no. I totally appreciate that others want to be as optimistic as they possibly can, and I envy them that, but after last season I find it quite painful that we have threads like this and we're singing songs like "we are top of the league". I don't care that others do it or that the thread is here, but it isn't for me and I think it's perfectly reasonable to offer up the reasons why.

As for why I clicked on it to read the thread, it was the "27 more wins and we're up". I was intrigued to see how the OP calculated that so definitively, especially considering so many people were off with their points tally predictions for last season.

As per your point about expressing myself dispassionately, I felt that the "bah humbug" point showed enough self awareness and self-deprecation to illustrate that I wasn't taking it too seriously, and ergo, it in no way smacked of me believing that I knew better - if anything, it just smacked that I felt quite uncomfortable with posts like this but I appreciate I may be one of the only ones who felt like that (the same goes for the "we're top of the league" song, where I'm probably the one person in the North Stand who doesn't sing it). So no, I don't agree that my initial post should have been more dispassionate.

Anyway, I'll dismount here. Don't let me catch you being negative on any threads though :albion2:

noted!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Something the team are already 0/1.

Has it already been decided who the 'top 6 sides' are, then? You've decided that Derby are, and Forest are not?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Has it already been decided who the 'top 6 sides' are, then? You've decided that Derby are, and Forest are not?
Drawing with Derby who are even money for a top 6 finish, while beating 10/1Forest.
Would suggest, in the absence of form, that Derby will be more of a force than Forest.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If we can beat last seasons unbeaten run but substitute a couple of the draws with wins we should be ok. We need however to beat the likely contenders at least once each and draw the other. Teams like Newcastle, Villa, Norwich, Derby and Wednesday come into that equation .

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here