Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 25yrs ago today

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Was that the Chester away game when we stayed at a B&B above some pub and there was a fight in the bar at around 2pm when we were checking in? Or was that another time?
Think this was the same game. We met you at Heathrow and you drove us up.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Toilet paper would be apt.

Absolute dross. We had some absolutely shocking footballers back then. Glen Thomas and Jamie Moralee as regulars! That’s not evening counting guys who could barely run that we gave LEAGUE starts to as essentially trial matches sight unseen - Mahoney-Johnson, Adekola, then desperate loanees like Valur Gislason, a man who looked absolutely terrified of the football.

Steve Gritt had never seen Mahoney-Johnson play, but he had nobody else and got him out of an old-fashioned “transfer list”.

f*** me, “good old days” indeed.
To be fair, I don't think any of us, ever, even in retrospect, have referred to that period as the 'Good Old Days'. In those Bleak Bad Days the 'Good Old Days' were the Mullery, Ward Lawrenson era, a time we though would never ever be repeated.

But yeah, I vaguely remember that game as I believe it was on Sky Sports and I went to my local (the Stanmer) at Fiveways to watch it. Oh the rarity of Brighton on TV! And yes, how times have changed. I remember at the time being quite pleased with an away point at Chester. Now I'd be mildly disappointed with an away point at Chelsea.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
To be fair, I don't think any of us, ever, even in retrospect, have referred to that period as the 'Good Old Days'. In those Bleak Bad Days the 'Good Old Days' were the Mullery, Ward Lawrenson era, a time we though would never ever be repeated.
I think I was misquoting the OP who finished their post with “thems were the days”, presumably ironically(!)

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
When is says 'that portion to be retained'.....it didn't mean you had to keep it for ever :shrug:

(says he who not only keeps all his old tickets but has photographed some of them and uploaded them to NSC :geek: :ohmy: .)
We seem to have a lot in common!
1705308560901.png

See link below to see these albums.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
I was also there (but I wasn't a child).
Me too.

And I can't remember anything about the game – score etc – apart from a hazy recollection that, for some reason. this was the only time I stood in the 'other' end at Pissfield?

East Staffs Gull

Jan 16, 2004
Birmingham and Austria
The Chester game was billed as the first United Colours of Football game.

I’ve some pre-match Sky and camcorder footage, but I believe that the file sizes (60mb and 480mb) are too large to upload. The Sky footage features an item on our proposed move to Withdean.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
That was only the seventh time - ever - that Albion had been shown live on English TV. The Wolves game in a week will be the 233rd time.
And two of those seven were the Cup Final and the replay!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Went to that game and remember nothing about it apart from the fact we got that very late equaliser!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here