Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

25 years ago today

Millwall away at the Old Den sums up for me everything that was GREAT about football then. OK it could be dangerous, but great fun and wasn't massively overpriced. Only missed two games that season (Newcastle away in the league; and Plymouth away In the ZDS?) - my best season ever for attendances. Would go back and do it all again in a heartbeat!

Indeed, but as for Plymouth away, oh dear.... I was one the 30 or so, it wasn't my finest hour!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Brian Moore in the commentary of that Millwall 2nd leg:

"Its said that the difference between the First Division and the Second Division in terms of gate receipts and TV money is around a million pounds, so huge incentive for both teams there..."

Wow.

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
We just don't have a good record at Wembley, or maybe we should campaign for the Play Off finals to be played at the Millenium Stadium again?

Still to this day can't figure out how I got out of the Old Den in 1 piece. Then the cap it all, I couldn't get to the final, as it clashed with my dear old Grandparents Golden Wedding anniversary. No way I could really go.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Did you smash it before she disappeared? ???

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn’t get the chance.

I was not too disappointed that we lost that game. We would have been embarrassed in the top flight with the squad that we had, even allowing for summer strengthening, and the Goldstone was crumbling. That said, I did not expect us to go down a year later.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
It wasn't a vintage season for kits, was it? I saw the home kit derided as 'eleven Andy Pandys on acid' in one newspaper. Quite liked the shirt, but the striped shorts? No. Just no.

Iovan The Sweeper

May 16, 2016
I remember Wilkins's tearful post-match interview.

"I just can't believe we lost 3-0"
"It was 3-1 Dean. You scored"
"Oh yeah"

And after being reminded that we were the bookies favourites to go down that season he said something like "yeah, we stuffed it right up them".

Fantastic season, but a horrible ending. If only Johnny Byrne hadn't been injured. If only Garry Nelson had been on the bench. Walker's header. Byrne's shot that skimmed the bar. The corner that never was...

Stumpy Tim

Millwall away at the Old Den sums up for me everything that was GREAT about football then. OK it could be dangerous, but great fun and wasn't massively overpriced. Only missed two games that season (Newcastle away in the league; and Plymouth away In the ZDS?) - my best season ever for attendances. Would go back and do it all again in a heartbeat!

There's no way I would have taken my 5 year old to football back then. It was dreadful and fans were treated like cattle, and not free-ranged cattle

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Two of us went up and got off a tube a couple stops from Wembley to have a couple more beers and went into a pub and they were showing the Cup Final from 83 so we sat there for the two hours watching that thinking it was a good omen but were seriously wrong !!

So the Albion have never won at Wembley in three attempts

Seagulls over Essex

Jun 4, 2004
Leigh-on-Sea
I still believe to this day we had too many aging players who knew they were out of a job if we won that day, I'm probably wrong but that's how it felt at the time, we really didn't turn up on the day, I know Wilkins was visibly distraught after the game but I can't recall anyone else being upset.

I was at the match too and remember thinking exactly the same, ie that none of the players seemed too upset. Bit of a contrast to this season!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here